JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im trying to get some opinions, for duck, goose and turkey which would be better Remington 870 or Remington 1100? Another contender would be the Mossberg that comes with two barrels thats usually at sale at Bimart. Its th one that comes with the longer barrel for bird hunting and also a shorter on thats for "home defense". What do you guys think?

I have heard very good reviews of the 870 from those who used them as keys to the doors in Iraq to having them home. Durability in war, ease of part swaps. This is all 2nd hand information from one who used it as a life preserving tool.

It would be my 1st choice when I get a shotgun.

I've had my 870 Super Mag for about 10 yrs now. I keep thinking about "upgrading" to a Benelli Super Black Hawk, but there just isn't any reason to. I shoot 2-3/4" for upland, 3" for early season ducks, and 3-1/2" for geese/late season ducks. Never had a jamb or misfeed, even when I dropped it in muddy salt water. I think the 870 is the best all around shotgun out there.

Having shot both the 870 express and a benelli nova..... The nova is hands down a nicer gun. They both go bang and both kill birds. The fit and finish on a benelli is way beyond the level of an 870 express. On the other hand...there is no aftermarket support for the benelli.

The 870 is the most reliable shotgun you can own. With a little practice, you can field strip it in a dark duck blind in case you fall down on the way to the blind. I've shot a 870 for 33 years, it is a little worn but still does what I need.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the 870, there are so many versions of it I've noticed. Is there one that is better suited for bird hunting?

A 12 gauge is the best overall gauge. Ammo for 16 and 20 gauge is more expensive unless you reload. A shorter barrel length, 28 inch, is easier to swing at faster upland birds. A 30 inch barrel, or longer, is better for waterfowl. You can get a set of choke tubes so you can pick the best one for the hunting situation. A modified or improved modified choke works well for upland, full for waterfowl and perhaps a improved cylinder for doves.

I shot the Remington 1100 today and it was pretty fun my shoulder is starting to feel it a bit now, the wife went to town with it to and both of us were hitting everything we were shooting at. Now to try out the 870 and maybe the Mossberg 500.

Hey was also seeing if any of you guys have tried limbsavers and if they actually work and worth the money?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top