JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But it can. Most dont set sandbags at the very end of the foreend. Most place bags between the front action screw and the sling swivel. If the stock isnt stiff like carbon fiber or laid-up fiberglass, the foreend can flex and make contact with the barrel.

Can you explain more? whats the point of a free-float barrel if its hit by some garbage hand-guard...... a 1/2"-1" "jump" is pretty bad....even for a .223/5.56

But it can. Most dont set sandbags at the very end of the foreend. Most place bags between the front action screw and the sling swivel. If the stock isnt stiff like carbon fiber or laid-up fiberglass, the foreend can flex and make contact with the barrel.
I'd say a different stock would be needed in that case. If the forend can touch the barrel by being flexed, you'd think the barrel itself could flex enough while firing to hit the forend. o_O

I have had about 4-5 different bipods that most expensive being around $60
My favorite has been one made by Barska (I know usually junk) but I like it so much i bought 2 more.
There are about $27 last I checked.

For that price, how can you go wrong.

I refuse to pay $100+ for a bipod. I'd rather use my backpack.
But I've been pretty impressed with the Barska

Funny. Helping out at hunter site in events at our range, it's amazing how many folks I've seen rest their barrel directly on the sandbag - sometimes right up to the muzzle. I always take a moment to point out why they shouldn't do that. You can tell the seasoned shooters from the shoot-once-a-year-only-during-hunting-season folks.

I just can't justify over $75 for a bipod ....unless I'm missing something. I make my own shooting sticks for less than $10....

like sandbags?

I think your over thinking this. You only need 1 bipod it can be used on several guns. Just get the best you can afford and roll with it. If you dont like it your out what $75 bucks... not the worst thing in life maybe sell it on here. Odds are you will keep it.

I bought a Harris and love it. Works great.

In the field I don't think a bipod gets you any more stability than a hasty sling around your elbow and your forearm and back of your front hand lying along a rock or log.

While a sling may be as stable, the point of a bipod isn't just stability. Its stability while letting it rest. A bag would be better, but there are times where it doesn't get as much height as a bipod could. Not that I use a bipod, or have a bipod I can use (the FAL's bipod is attached to the barrel, I just use it for a more comfortable grip when folded).

While a sling may be as stable, the point of a bipod isn't just stability. Its stability while letting it rest. A bag would be better, but there are times where it doesn't get as much height as a bipod could. Not that I use a bipod, or have a bipod I can use (the FAL's bipod is attached to the barrel, I just use it for a more comfortable grip when folded).

In my humble opinion that is just putting up with more useless moving parts that can get loose or go wrong at an inopportune moment.

Most bipods are removable. But if you're talking about the FAL, its not getting loose. The screws are in tight and loctited in. Lack of use beyond filling in handguard gaps is also gonna keep it from going loose.

Not that it matters, if you're hand is where is supposed to be it ain't falling.

Well I was the test mouse.....bought one for $34 shipped. The looks and everything about it "look" great.....now to the function.....:oops:...

Bottom knob could not be hand tightened enough to work properly without having the legs be turned one way (loosening it) and then swing freely. I'm looking at possibly using a washer or gasket to fix this.

The other issue is the ratcheting (180, 145, 90,45, 0°) legs are pretty difficult to put in place. Very smooth and lock into place but very tight....going to loosen, grease, and tighten.

More to follow......if these $2-5 upgrades fix then I will be a happy camper

My bench accuracy really improved when I started setting up to let the rifle slide back naturally, as if you were holding it freehand. Funny how a lot of benchrest pictures show lead sleds that have the rifle tied down... IMO that's just wrong.

You don't have to go this far, but I prefer shooting benchrest from a "rest" not from a bipod. Just me. :)

IMG_1089.jpg

The idea of a bipod is just to have something you can use as a rest when one isn't available. IMHO, a sandbag is better, or a backpack, but not always the scenario.

Course, I have a bipod laying around collecting dust I'm probably just gonna sell. So take my word with a grain of salt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top