JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use both, but I always thought that a rig like this would be nice for casual shooting off the bench.
master1_1602021107_alt2?pgw=1.jpg

I use a bi-pod and rear bag, or a pack/bag.
When brush is in the way of going prone I use a tri-pod.
I have a Bog but it's not the most stable so I'm going to a ball head with arca clamp.

I think it depends on what you are doing.

Punching paper and testing loads = front rest and rear rest like bag or complete rifle saddle like the lead sled.

If you are mostly a hunter. Practice all sorts of bags and sticks and bipods.

Competition = Bags, bipods, $2000 precision rests.

I've owned sand bags longer than I've owned bipods. But I like to add weight to some of my rifles and to load up/lean into bipods but not all.

Someone told me somewhere that "you have to learn how to shoot off bipods" I'm still not sure what that means and haven't googled it.

Someone mentioned here about bipod stability, I assume meaning the feet sliding. That's the trick for me, finding the right foot material for the bench surface. Putting a sand bag in front lets me load up more and reduces bipods sliding on surfaces. So I use both…and most ranges should have bags to use….. One in the rear too if that particular rifle doesn't have Stock mounted monopod.

Get both. Try both. Use both.

I have to use both some of my rifles (Ruger No 1) does not like a bipod and the bag has to be towards the trigger guard . The lead sled is not natural and mostly use it for cleaning the rifle and mounting scopes .

Bi-pods work best when loaded.
Often not easy with whatever it's on at times.

For bench tops I have a tie down strap that the legs can lean into.
For prone I have a mat with straps in the front for bi-pods.
A couple of tent pegs with some para cord works too with no mat.

The fast, easy and inexpensive way (in the long run) is to take a good class before buying your tools. I wish I would have taken the advice of attending a quality long range class before I bought any of my long range gear. The classes I have taken, have saved me more money by not buying the wrong gear for my use cases then the classes themselves have cost. Not to mention, they were a great time and provided lifelong skills. So you might want to consider taking a class. I took my class from Sidewinder Concepts:

Gents should always tell a story with their answer. :D I used to hunt Eastern Oregon for deer and the shots were pretty long range. Hills and sage brush meant the deer see you from a long way off so long shots were the norm.

In those guys I wore a fedora hat and it would double for a good rest when I went prone to make the shot. Still have the hat.

My opinion is if you want to know how good the rifle shoots then sand bags. If you want to get an idea how good you shoot then a bipod is a good start but off hand tells the story.

Last Edited:
Heres another question...
If I zero using sandbags, will using a bipod change my POI or group size?

It takes shooting the same way to get the same accuracy. Shoot from a bench on bags isn't the same as prone on a bipod. Guns shoot where they are pointed when they fire, everything has to be the same to get a good group.

Some people use Mil Dot, some use MOA, and some people count clicks on their scope knobs. Find what works for you and then learn it and stick with it. THEN, figure out your 'battle sight zero' is and note it somewhere. Then you have the right setting for those quick 'snap shots' we all encounter when hunting or shooting.

The simple answer is, maybe. Shoot your gun in all configurations and scenarios you intend to use it to understand how it responds.
I do plan to do just that.
Im thinking I will do the initial zero from sandbags or maybe my led sled.
Then start working off sandbags and bipods simultaneously. Then Im planning a scouting trip where I hunt where I will practice variouse distances with various positions. I think the answer im looking for here is understanding the differences in my rifle.

It shouldn't you might open up the group adjusting to the different type of shooting.

Knowing you're a reloader and hunter, I'd say you might be best served using a rifle rest like the lead sled for range work and load testing. Then practice shooting with sticks or a tripod or offhand for hunting.

I lock my rifle down real good with weight and a trusted bipod on the front and usually rest the rear in a bag for load development as it is what I am the best at after starting to compete using this exact set up. I used to use a lead sled before and will still use the lead sled to take most of me out of the equation when trying to go for really good groups with newer test loads. Yet I also practice with just a front bag and no rear bag or two bags or one rear and a bipod. I switch it up a lot as that is what is required for the discipline I've been competing in lately. The more types I use the better I get at all of them, except maybe ladder rungs, screw ladders and the person who thought it was a good idea to use as a prop.

Was just about to mention the shooting sticks.

Unless you are planning to plant yourself and lay prone to use a pack or bipod, you will most likely be standing when you find an animal.

But maybe that's just me, I like to stay moving when I'm hunting minus some stops here and there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top