JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand why one would take the time to bed stock and float a barrel. I've also seen that some bipods mount to the stock and some mount directly to the barrel. My question is, does a barrel-mounted bipod defeat the purpose of a floated barrel? Does it affect accuracy or am I overthinking it?

NEVER let anything touch your barrel when shooting, this includes a bi-pod if you want any kind of accuracy. Even when shooting from a rest (or improvised like a tree branch or fence post) you wanted padding between the stock and the rest. You should never have anything hard touching together. It is less of an issue with lighter recoiling rifles then heavy ones.

yeah. if you put pressure on the barrel, you are defecting purpose of free floating barrel. even it's not free floating barrel, it will still shift point of aim.

what are you putting bipod on?

Eventually on a Mosin 91/30 -- don't laugh. I was just doing some preliminary window shopping and ran across the barrel clamp-on styles. Seemed like an ill advised idea so I thought I'd ask. I did see where some were attached to a lug at the tip of the forend or even the tube on a shotgun:huh: and lever guns. The examples that really made no sense were AKs and ARs with the bipod clamped to the end of the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top