JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Putting a Magpul MOE handguard on my rifle and am wondering if there is a way to mount a bipod that uses sling swivel to mount?

Is there some kind of adapter available?

Should I just buy a rail mounted bipod instead???

Any thoughts?

So, for example, if I sight in my scope just firing from a rest... That once the bipod is attached there will be a different poi

Or, are you saying the with bipod attached, the poi will never be consistent?

A freefloat handguard allows the barrel to resonate naturally when you fire a round and the zero remains constant until the barrel begins to heat up and the natural resonance changes.

A standard non-freefloat handguard applies pressure to the barrel near the FSB, and this does not allow the barrel to resonate naturally with each shot. Adding a bipod in this case can add a small amount of upward pressure to the barrel because the handguard and now the bipod are in contact with the barrel.

It probably won't be a problem overall unless you are going for accuracy. This is why we see freefloat handguards and rails on precision AR type rifles.

Not trying to discourage you :D

So, for example, if I sight in my scope just firing from a rest... That once the bipod is attached there will be a different poi

Or, are you saying the with bipod attached, the poi will never be consistent?

If zeroed in without a bipod then you attach one, yes that will change POI. If zeroed in using bipod and going to not using one, that will change POI. If using a bipod, if you don't apply the same pressure each time that too will change POI. It could be a small change or a big change.

In general I don't like bipods on light firearms.
On an AR your bipod has to be tall enough so that a 20-30rnd mag clears which makes the prone shooter raise his torso to match the higher sights. On the range this will severely impact accuracy. When PPL are shooting back this will probably not end well either.
If you are shooting from a bench just fill an appropriate sized sack with a pound or two of dried beans, rice, pasta and use it as a rest:p

In general I don't like bipods on light firearms.
On an AR your bipod has to be tall enough so that a 20-30rnd mag clears which makes the prone shooter raise his torso to match the higher sights. On the range this will severely impact accuracy. When PPL are shooting back this will probably not end well either.
If you are shooting from a bench just fill an appropriate sized sack with a pound or two of dried beans, rice, pasta and use it as a rest:p

30 round magazine gets in the way, 20 doesn't. With a 20 round magazine the grip gets in the way. With the big brother ARs (.308) 20 round magazines are slightly below the grip.

When ever I feel in doubt I go back to the basics:
Re-learn everything you can about marksmanship. Nothing has changed because the human body has not changed.
Learn that stuff (for free) off the net and then apply that knowledge to your situation
If you want to be a super marksman with an AR there are PPL here that will teach you but you have to actually say those words in the title of your post

Agreed, I use 20 round mags when shooting from the bench and prone all the time.
I just stick with 20 now tbh, when I switched to using 20s instead of 30s when hunting here in NC I stopped snagging on stuff. Should be based on what you do and where you are. They're so much more comfortable prone too, big plus at the range and those times when you can go prone while hunting.

You have to add a rail, then a swivel stud.

I have that entire setup in a box here at the house. I had it on a previous AR.

Looks goofy on a MOE.

I'll send it if you really think you need it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top