Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

BioLite stove, also can charge most USB devices

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ATCclears, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. HBIII

HBIII Wilsonville Active Member

Must have!

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

4. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks cool. I'd like to have more information on electrical output/charging times.

5. ATCclears

John, agreed. I'm waiting to see real-world reviews once it hits the market.

Peter

6. Elitepaintballproductions

Elitepaintballproductions Oregon Member

Just pre-ordered it :)

7. Pogue_Mahone

Pogue_Mahone Eugene, OR Active Member

Let me know how it works. I think its pretty cool. I want one.

8. ATCclears

BioLite CampStove - BioLite Stove

I put myself on the pre-order notification list. I've just been asked to commit/pay with a mid July delivery. I'll probably do it. :)

Peter

9. Elitepaintballproductions

Elitepaintballproductions Oregon Member

Got my email today too, I just paid...I'm excited to get my hands on months before other for public sale :)

10. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

11. Tangent123123

Tangent123123 Battle Ground Active Member

That's a handy looking little gadget. I think I'll have to put in an order as well if it works as advertised.

12. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

Got my hands on one. Takes awhile to start charging, around 6 minutes. Burns alot of wood quick.

13. SIG383

SIG383 Graham, WA Well-Known Member

looks like a neat product! I am not sure about using one for normal backpacking, but sounds like a great idea for power outages and that kind of stuff. The homestove one would be great for a cabin or something of that sort!

14. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

I wonder if they have one that will produce enough power to charge up a bigger battery? Like battery backups for a house. Now that would be good for power outages.

15. ATCclears

receo, what type of device were you charging, and how much charge was left in the battery when you started charging.

Thx,
    Peter

16. ATCclears

They are planning a larger product called the HomeStove, but I don't know what the power output will be from that model.

17. ATCclears

I got my BioLite Campstove in the mail today. I ordered it in early May.

I am very impressed with the build quality of the product. It feels rock solid. I have yet to light it up but I will later tonight.

There are already a lot of user reviews for it on youtube, and it looks like a great product to add to your emergency kit, get-home bag (GHB), or bug-out bag (BOB). I plan on putting it into my GHB.

Peter

18. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

My father-in-law just got his the other day. After yelling at me for holding off on my order until I had a chance to see his, we took it outside and cranked it up. It seems to have some form of power storage because the fan started up before we lit the fire (the instructions say you have to warm it up first). With the fan running we just broke up a piece of dried out bamboo, dropped in a match and it fired right up. Once the fire was going, we set the fan to high and dropped a little pot full of water on it. Just like in the video, the small pan choked the fire. We put a slightly larger pan on it with about a cup of water. This seemed to increase the efficiency and burned the bamboo down really quick. Next we got a piece of real kindling, broke it up and dropped it in. By the time we grabbed the manual and looked through it, the water was boiling.

We haven't tried the USB yet, but I would much rather make coffee on this than in the morning then a campfire.

19. jimboshooter

jimboshooter West Portland, Oregon Active Member

It works on the Seebeck effect using a Peltier Device that converts the combination heat and cold to electricity. Here is a link to a Youtube video of a guy who explains it very well and even makes one on the video out of a Goodwill $5 12v portable fridge.

Demo of the Seebeck Effect - YouTube

20. ATCclears

I fired this up last night. I was using some twigs and small branches (1/4" in diameter) from a dead tree. A thunderstorm went through Seattle yesterday afternoon so the wood was not ideal. The CampStove worked well, even with the damp wood. My observations:
    - easy to get a fire going
    - if no hard wood (burns hotter and longer), plan to keep feeding it
    - the "OK to charge" light came on after a couple of minutes
    - no problem charging an iPhone
    - not enough juice to charge an iPad (may have been my lack of good materials to burn)
    - it would be easy to put a pot on top and boil up to 4 cups of water, cook some soup, or whatever

Overall, I like it. It's going into my get-home bag (GHB).

Peter

Sun195 and (deleted member) like this.