JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to hear from people that primarily run ACOGs (or some other magnified optic) on their carbines. Do you use the BAC? How easy is it to learn? Why do you prefer an ACOG to something like an aimpoint with a 3x magnifier?

so long as you don't have astigmatism or cross-dominance, ACOGs can be used for pretty much any roll an aimpoint with magnifier can be used for. so why use a two-piece system with moving parts and more weight, when one device does the job?

That reticle in an acog 4x is the best 0-600yard scope you can get IMO. If they didn't cost so much I'd trade my T1 for it. :(

It took me about 3 runs at IPSC targets from 7-50yards to "almost" (talking fractions of seconds) match the speed I have with my familiar T1 setup. With practice I think I could be faster than with my T1 at ranges past 50 yards.

Both eyes open blured green blotch on target at < 25yards, at 25+ your dominant eye gets pulled into the scope as it settles on the target.... BANG... eye draws out and both eyes look for next target.

It works.

A cheaper solution is not available in the Vortex 1-4X PST

Why an ACOG?

This one was shot in Iraq....still worked too! Aimpoints run on batteries...granted they run virtually FOREVER on batteries, but still they are slaved to them. Aimpoints have a pro that the ACOG doesn't, however- they can still be used with the iron sights. You have to remove the ACOG entirely from the weapon if you wish to use the iron sights (unless you mount it on top of the carrying handle). Realize that each sight you have has it's pros and cons...if you can't decide on either a scope or a red dot, realize that you don't have to!

This is my current set up...it's a Docter Reflex on top of a Trijicon TA01NSN ACOG...I must warn you, though, it wasn't cheap.

Any RedDot is going to be easier as there is no fixed position to align with to be on target. They work much easier for awkward shooting positions and shooting "weak side".

+1

If you are cross dominant, I would also recommend an EOTECH or Aimpoint. Mind you, not all red dots are the same. These are HOLOGRAPHIC SIGHTS, meaning that the dot will be alligned with the barrel, regardless of your sight allignment.

Where ever the dot is is where you will hit. Scopes and cheaper red dot sights are a little bit more finiky- meaning that you must have a specific cheek-to-stock possition and same eye relief (the same that you zeroed with) to hit straight.

Aimpoints and EOTECHs are great for close quarters and decent at distance. The ACOGs (which stands for Advanced Combat Optic Gunsight) that have the red strip over the top are a bit of both a red dots sight and a medium powered scope (3.5/4 power).

The best advice, however, I can give you is to try one for yourself and check it out. If it fits you (and your budget) then buy it!

*edit*

8ball, I noticed that you are also in Washington State...if you would like to test out an ACOG and ever stop buy the Benton County area, hit me a PM and I'll let you test my set-up out (free, of course). Sometimes your best bet to decide if something works best for you is to just try out a bunch of stuff until you find what works for YOU. Anyone here can tell you what works for them, but that might not always be what is best for YOU.

Thanks for all the advice. A friend has an RDS on his SIG 556 and he's promised me some time with it.

Riot, thanks for the offer - will let you know if I make it down to Benton County. I'm usually trapped in sunless Seattle!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top