Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Binary Targets

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cassio, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Cassio

Cassio Portland New Member

Seen some reactive targets that use ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder in a binary form for long distance shooting.

Does anyone have any range time using these?

Legalities on the subject to pass on??

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

They are legal to use. However the range you use needs to allow them.
    They are fun.

3. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Go up to the Tillamook forest. Set um off in the pit at Browns camp all the time. The rules up there state that for target shooting you can only shoot at targets specifically manufactured as targets. Tannerite is manufactured and sold specifically as a rifle target. It's lots of fun.

4. Key-Hay

5. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Most everyone I know buy's it in bulk, and mixes it up. That way you can have 1/4, 1/2 and 1 pound charges. I mix it up and use red drinking cups, garbage bags, and duct tape. I generally make 20 at a time, out of 10 pound bulk. Makes 20 1/2 pounders. Big boom. I mix them in advance and shake well before use. Never had one not work. This batch was a mix of 1/2 and 1/8 pound targets.

tannerite.jpg

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Key-Hay

I don't mix it till I'm on site. I know the Mythbusters proved auto accidents won't set it off but I'm not taking any chances.

7. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

LOL, Im to busy loading mags, and shooting to mix it up on site. I usually wait till the day before though...

8. dustinm

dustinm The BEAVER State Member

I've put the Tannerite daughters through college with the amount I have spent on his products (okay, maybe not that much......but a lot). Use it while you can. I am sure someone, somewhere will do something that will ruin it for everyone and make it illegal. Best part its made in Oregon!

9. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure but I was under the impression that the ATF required it to be mixed on site?

Ok found it

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/fel/fel-newsletter-2011-12.pdf

Down aways on the left. Just dont want you getting in trouble bud.

10. Key-Hay

Yea sounds like transporting mixed Tannerite with out the Federal explosives license or permit could get you in trouble. Even worse would be if my wife found out I had mixed stuff in the house. There are some things worse than a felony.

slimer13 and (deleted member) like this.