JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
50 years ago I owned a Taurus 38 snub nose. Surprisingly accurate. That's when Taurus revolvers were called Saturday night specials. They have come a long way, but, will never use one as my concealed carry.

50 years ago I owned a Taurus 38 snub nose. Surprisingly accurate. That's when Taurus revolvers were called Saturday night specials. They have come a long way, but, will never use one as my concealed carry.
I put hundreds, maybe 1000+ rounds through a lightly modified Taurus 65. Good looking gun and it ran and shot great. Very accurate like your 38. The grips are really nice. The pull weight of the factory trigger in double action is a bit much so it was reduced on this gun. For around $10 or so you can get lightened trigger and hammer springs and they are very simple to replace. A little emery and lube on the sear while you're in there and you've turned it into a really nice gun.

I put hundreds, maybe 1000+ rounds through a lightly modified Taurus 65. Good looking gun and it ran and shot great. Very accurate like your 38. The grips are really nice. The pull weight of the factory trigger in double action is a bit much so it was reduced on this gun. For around $10 or so you can get lightened trigger and hammer springs and they are very simple to replace. A little emery and lube on the sear while you're in there and you've turned it into a really nice gun.
definitely a good looking revolver and a great price for a 357 mag thanks for the tip

I've owned about a dozen Taurus pistols and rifles over the years - 1911, 24/7 Pro DS, 708, 709, G2C, Model 85, and even the CT9 carbine. I don't have any real concerns about their quality of manufacture - maintain them properly and they'll go bang when you need them to.

However, I have MAJOR issues with their "customer service". My experience might be the exception rather than the rule, but it was a ridiculously bad one.

I sent one of my pistols - a 24/7 Pro DS in .45ACP - back to them for warranty work when the trigger had a failure to reset issue. Pretty sure it was something simple like a spring replacement, but figured that's what the lifetime warranty is for, so I sent it in. Little did I know they were knee deep in a lawsuit, and my firearm was one of the affected models.

They explained that they couldn't replace it or send it back until the dust settled from the lawsuit. I accepted that, and waited. 18 months later, still no firearm, and their story kept changing.
First they said their techs were repairing the issue and returning it to me.
Then they said "just kidding, we can't return it, so we have to send you a replacement".
Then they went back to the "we'll repair and return it".
Then finally settled on "we'll replace it, but not with a .45".
I said "fine, how about one in 9mm?"
They said "just kidding, we discontinued the 24/7 model. You can pick between one of these models..." (can't remember which ones, but the choices were a full size or subcompact in 9mm or .40)
I said "cool, I'll go with the full size in 9mm".
They said "just kidding, we're out of those. All we have is the G2c."
I said "that's BS because (a) it's a subcompact and the firearm I turned in was a full-size, and (b) the G2c is worth half of what the 24/7 was. Can you replace it with a different, comparably priced model? Like your beretta clone or a 1911?"
They said "sorry, the G2c is all we can give you."
At this point I was beyond pissed. I escalated to a supervisor and to a manager, but they wouldn't budge. I called back multiple times, each time trying to get a different outcome, and each time got the stonewall.
Finally I figured I might as well get some kind of gun back, then raise a stink with corporate - not like the worker bees had any control over that policy - so I said "alright, send me the G2c in black".
They said "sorry, the only model we are allowed to send out is coyote brown".
Now, I FREAKING HATE most funny-color guns. Pistols, especially. I still dislike them now, though I made an exception for my MSAR because the price was right, and as a bullpup I figure it's already weird enough that the color doesn't matter so much, lol. But a pistol in my mind should be stainless or black, so this was beyond the pale for me.
I argued the point yet again, and lost yet again. They wouldn't budge.
They mailed me the G2c in coyote brown 23 months after I sent it in for repairs. I promptly sold it to a friend.

Needless to say, I refuse to give Taurus money anymore. I will not buy any of their products new, regardless of how they are priced. I will only buy them used so the money doesn't go back into their coffers. I still have a few of their pistols in my collection, but if they ever break I'll pay a a gunsmith instead of returning them to corporate.

YMMV, but be forewarned. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

I've owned about a dozen Taurus pistols and rifles over the years - 1911, 24/7 Pro DS, 708, 709, G2C, Model 85, and even the CT9 carbine. I don't have any real concerns about their quality of manufacture - maintain them properly and they'll go bang when you need them to.

However, I have MAJOR issues with their "customer service". My experience might be the exception rather than the rule, but it was a ridiculously bad one.

I sent one of my pistols - a 24/7 Pro DS in .45ACP - back to them for warranty work when the trigger had a failure to reset issue. Pretty sure it was something simple like a spring replacement, but figured that's what the lifetime warranty is for, so I sent it in. Little did I know they were knee deep in a lawsuit, and my firearm was one of the affected models.

They explained that they couldn't replace it or send it back until the dust settled from the lawsuit. I accepted that, and waited. 18 months later, still no firearm, and their story kept changing.
First they said their techs were repairing the issue and returning it to me.
Then they said "just kidding, we can't return it, so we have to send you a replacement".
Then they went back to the "we'll repair and return it".
Then finally settled on "we'll replace it, but not with a .45".
I said "fine, how about one in 9mm?"
They said "just kidding, we discontinued the 24/7 model. You can pick between one of these models..." (can't remember which ones, but the choices were a full size or subcompact in 9mm or .40)
I said "cool, I'll go with the full size in 9mm".
They said "just kidding, we're out of those. All we have is the G2c."
I said "that's BS because (a) it's a subcompact and the firearm I turned in was a full-size, and (b) the G2c is worth half of what the 24/7 was. Can you replace it with a different, comparably priced model? Like your beretta clone or a 1911?"
They said "sorry, the G2c is all we can give you."
At this point I was beyond pissed. I escalated to a supervisor and to a manager, but they wouldn't budge. I called back multiple times, each time trying to get a different outcome, and each time got the stonewall.
Finally I figured I might as well get some kind of gun back, then raise a stink with corporate - not like the worker bees had any control over that policy - so I said "alright, send me the G2c in black".
They said "sorry, the only model we are allowed to send out is coyote brown".
Now, I FREAKING HATE most funny-color guns. Pistols, especially. I still dislike them now, though I made an exception for my MSAR because the price was right, and as a bullpup I figure it's already weird enough that the color doesn't matter so much, lol. But a pistol in my mind should be stainless or black, so this was beyond the pale for me.
I argued the point yet again, and lost yet again. They wouldn't budge.
They mailed me the G2c in coyote brown 23 months after I sent it in for repairs. I promptly sold it to a friend.

Needless to say, I refuse to give Taurus money anymore. I will not buy any of their products new, regardless of how they are priced. I will only buy them used so the money doesn't go back into their coffers. I still have a few of their pistols in my collection, but if they ever break I'll pay a a gunsmith instead of returning them to corporate.

YMMV, but be forewarned. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.
Thanks for sharing that. For my carry I have a Beretta APX. I picked it because it was tested by the 50 thousand rounds test for possible military and law enforcement. It's double recoil spring. What sealed the deal was my friend was blasting hot reloads and it blew out it's protection device. He called customer service and they said NP send it in. Two weeks after shipping he gets his pistol back with a check for the shipping he paid. No questions asked.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top