JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is typical of the front line vs. management. A rumor starts and then everybody takes it for gospel.

I just inventoried my primer stash; 5500 primers of assorted types, LPP, LRP, LMRP, LMPP, SPP, benchrest large rifle primers and a few shotshell primers (I don't reload shotshells, I think I bought these for perimeter traps or something like that). So plenty of primers for most of what I want to reload, which will be small quantities.

The only primers I don't have are small rifle primers - I will have to get some when things stop being crazy. A few of the packages had price tags on them, ranging from $12-$17.

I have plenty of Trail Boss, H110, LeverEvolution and BLC-2, but I am low on BullsEye, no Unique, no Universal or 2400. So I do need to stock up on some of the popular powders that are good for various cartridges, but I can wait - as I have said elsewhere, I mostly only reload special low power loads, and the Trail Boss is good for those.

Honestly it's why I asked 3 times and interrogated both guys. I was in disbelief. Guy at corporate said he's was calling their DM to educate them. I told him I don't want those guys getting in trouble.

Last Edited:
Did you miss the $250 per 1K sales? I thought it was bad during obummer.

I must have... never paid that kind of money when I could buy 9mm at Walmart for $7.60/box/50

But I used the last small pistol primers I had to load up 400 9mm target loads. Gonna conserve and wait til things get better.

I would recommend
Write on comment cards at Bimart.
Ask for them the cards should be up front, name good people you know who work there who deserve regognition, explain to Bimart that you spend 10k there anually, and would likely find a new variety store to shop if they lost their hunting and reloading supplies.

Wallmart is said to be closing 500 of there gun counters .If The affordable places to buy ammo and reloading supplies is gone and Sniffer bans online sales . This almost doesnt look like America anymore :s0136:

Sportsman's did the same thing - at least for a while. I think it was maybe at least partially about shoplifting.

If BiMart isn't going to carry primers, they might as well stop carrying powder and projectiles too.

I was just going thru boxes in the shop to find ammo and found a number of boxes of primer and powder. I knew I had some, but I did not know I had that many. Going to put it all in one MTM container and do an inventory so I know what I have.
Did you learn sharing I'm school today? On line of course.

Did you learn sharing I'm school today? On line of course.

I am going out to confirm what I have then I am probably going to put up an advert to trade Large pistol magnum (CCI 350) for small rifle so even out what I have - which is about 1K each, except for 2K of LP magnum. If I can trade for SRP then I would have what I need for the minimal loading that I do. Then later I will stock up on primers when they are not in short supply, for the next time we have a shortage.

Just made an offer on some powder and will keep any eye on other powders, but only at reasonable prices. I will pickup some projectiles too if they become available.

I like to call them and ask if they have any primers and then when they say no I ask what kind of paint would they recommend for some rusty metal and be quick about it.

I am going out to confirm what I have then I am probably going to put up an advert to trade Large pistol magnum (CCI 350) for small rifle so even out what I have - which is about 1K each, except for 2K of LP magnum. If I can trade for SRP then I would have what I need for the minimal loading that I do. Then later I will stock up on primers when they are not in short supply, for the next time we have a shortage.

Just made an offer on some powder and will keep any eye on other powders, but only at reasonable prices. I will pickup some projectiles too if they become available.

Good thing I double checked, I don't have as much as I thought I did. So no trades.

And now there is less competition.

Sportsman's Warehouse Reeled In By Bass Pro Owner

Over here in central Oregon I'm glad to hear this. The Bend SW is widely considered be the worst managed in the state. I sit over here and drool when Cabellas and Bass Pro show more in-stock inventory at better prices and SW sits with empty shelves, poor selection, snotty help, and the highest prices in town when they do have it. A couple years ago they had some great bulk Hornady ammo deals for Black Friday. 6.5 CM and 6.5g were not to be found here. Every other SW in OR had pallets of it. I ended up calling Corporate and a manager in Albany held it for me until I could get over there. Word got around that employees curbed it here. Good riddance.

Last Edited:
@jordanka16
What's your thoughts?

Completely untrue, we even managed to get a few K in a couple weeks ago.

Supply is just extremely low, powder valley had a statement about primers on their site, someone may have already posted that I didnt read the thread.

Bimart isnt going to stop selling them, the government isnt buying them all up, Joe Biden isnt eating them all to keep anyone from buying them.

The best thing you can do to help it recover is not pay inflated prices, if they can't resell it the scalpers wont buy it all. And that goes for everything.

Maybe I'll go to Gunbroker. Free shipping... including the hazmat fee?

Not very likely. Just from reading their own shipping descriptions, most GB sellers offering primers are shipping them illegally.

Most GB sales of primers are sent via UPS without paying the hazmat fee. Not a problem until something happens in transit and they pin it on the primers. Then it's a real problem.

This. I don't know if there might be any penalty for a receiver. The primers would likely be seized if detected and the buyer would lose in that way. But there would be a big federal fine if the shipper got caught. And if there were an incident arising from such an illegal shipment, the civil liability would probably be life-crippling.

Sportsman's Warehouse Reeled In By Bass Pro Owner

Look to Cabela's to see how that comes out.

Over here in central Oregon I'm glad to hear this. The Bend SW is widely considered be the worst managed in the state. I sit over here and drool when Cabellas and Bass Pro show more in-stock inventory at better prices and SW sits with empty shelves, poor selection, snotty help, and the highest prices in town when they do have it.

Be careful what you wish for. My experiences in one of their stores up here aren't unlike what you describe in Bend. However, don't assume that Bass Pro management will necessarily be a good thing; look what they've done at/for Cabela's.

Sportsman's Warehouse has been a fairly poor performer as a business. But they've done a land office business since the Covid thing hit. And this result has caused the Bass Pro parent company to covet them and pay a premium price for them. The gun business of the past 10-12 years has been up and down. It hasn't been all that long since the Trump Slump. It goes down as well as up. The Covid thing will end sometime down the road. And when it does, the Dems will be in power. The mass gun buying spree that we've seen this year may already have been "priced in" as they say on Wall Street, plus new regulations may have a negative impact on the business. We'll have to wait and see.

Damn man! You did good. I'm on notifications from Midway on every pistol primers they show and no notifications so far.

I've checked Midway all times of the day and night, all days of the week. On a regular basis. I guess I'm just unlucky; I haven't seen one single offering of primers in stock of any kind.

The only place for 50 miles to buy powder and primers replaced their shelf space with other items. Clerk said they simply couldn't get them anymore.

Now, my FFL in the next town over runs a little shop attached to his home and is only open limited hours, but when I picked up a Glock pistol there a few weeks ago, he had ammo and primers. Ammo was a little higher, but not bad, and the primers were "consignment" items and $70 per 1000.

Wonder what the laws are for such a thing. Could someone open a physical store front and sell powder and primers on consignment? Wonder what laws and licenses would be required.

Wonder what the laws are for such a thing. Could someone open a physical store front and sell powder and primers on consignment? Wonder what laws and licenses would be required.

Don't need a license to sell it, same with ammo. You do need a powder magazine to store it in though. Would depend on the quantity you had for sale.

I had an interesting phone conversation today with a guy in NY who has been selling off a large quantity of primers he's amassed on Gunbroker lately. He has contacts high up in an ammunition distributor. (unnamed, but that was his source for many of his primers)
Anyway he told me there is a ship just in port with container loads of Czech and Russian primers that will likely hit the market by mid January. I asked him what he felt the impact would be, if any. He responded by saying he has listed all his remaining primers in minimum lots of 5k as he thinks the ceiling has been reached on the secondary market and there are massive shipments ready to hit our shores that have been in the works for many months. That's all I know but he does seem well informed enough to start dumping his stash in large lots.
Coincidentally I received word that a small but solid ammo company in Utah is expecting a shipment of 9 million primers in the next few weeks. They announced it on social media. Both hopeful stories. We shal see..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top