Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bimart and Remington

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by sapper77, Feb 14, 2015.

1. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

I have a couple of good friends who work in sporting goods at Bimart (one of them is a manager) and was told the other day that they will no longer be selling Remington ammo. Bimart is Remington's biggest customer in the U.S. They said that Remington has constantly been saying they can fill ammo orders, but are never able to furfill what they have promised. Apparently, Bimart headquarters has gotten sick of it and will no longer be purchasing Remington ammo. Firearms and accessories will still be purchased and sold. They are now going with Federal, Winchester, CCI and few different manufactures for shotgun shells. Thought this was kind of interesting!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Okay....I am not buying this for one reason. There is no way Bi-Mart is Remington's biggest ammo customer in the US. Bi-Mart has 75 stores. Cabela's has 50, Bass Pro Shop has 70. No way Bi-Mart is their biggest customer. Regarding Bi-Mart dropping Remington ammunition. I will believe it when I see it and it will be sad if they do.

BoonDocks36, nwo and d2the3 like this.
  3. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

This is just what they are telling me...................we shall see

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It does seem odd, but i will say that they're having a 'close out' like sale on remington ammo when i was in there on thursday.

5. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Probably getting better pricing from a different supplier.

6. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Remington ammo isn't listed on the website anymore.

7. Gonzales

Gonzales Albany, OR Member

I've heard almost the same thing. Something about keeping rem UMC stuff, but the rest is gone. It's supposed to open up the flow of other ammo brands.

Specifically other 22LR brands and I can only assume 9mm as well. Aguila & IMI Baby!

8. al42

al42 shedd oregon Member

Bi mart in Albany told me this also.but would still carry corlock center fire.they are switching brands of bulk type ammo.

9. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Just heard this from a clerk at my local Bi-Mart as well. Kind of seems odd to cut down a sources of ammo, but that is just me.

10. DieselScout

This seems to be happening. Thanks all for posting up and corroborating.

11. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well, if it's for opening up the bulk sourcing, i guess it's loose the fancy Remington stuff and get the stuff everyone buys.

12. DieselScout

Fancy? Core-Lokt is about as un-fancy as you can get. And its reliable and fairly accurate.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  13. F2CMaDMaXX

:D
    I'm a cheap bubblegum ;)

14. DieselScout

Lol...ok

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Guess Remington lost a 70 million dollar contract with bimart.

16. DieselScout

Where do you get that figure?

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Guy at bimart told me, will give you his name pm but won't post publicly. He works there.

18. DieselScout

No worries, just curiosity

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Well that would only be about 300 boxes of ammo a month per store.

Which seems about right.

20. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

You must mean cases - cuz using an average of $20 a box, 300 boxes / month * 70 stores = 5.04 Million a year - that'd be retail sales, so their purchase price would be probably 3.5-4 Million at most. Far from $70 Million.

And Bi Mart doesn't buy directly from Remington anyway, if I'm not mistaken, like most other sporting goods stores around here, they buy from All Sports aka Big Rock Sports which is a wholesale distributor for guns, ammo, fishing & camping gear, etc.

Figure too, no way Bi Mart has as much ammo in half a dozen stores as Cabela's has on one store's shelves, even Sportman's Warehouse has far, far more ammo than a few Bi Marts have on hand at any one time. Could be Freedom Group is struggling to meet commercial supplies, but it's probably a nation-wide issue and not one specific to the handful of western states that have Bi Mart stores. Claiming Bi Mart is the single largest purchaser of Remington ammo, they might as well claim they're the single biggest purchaser of Lamiglas or Okuma fishing rods too, which would likewise be bunk.

Bi Mart run great stores, but they have a little of this and a little of that - typical general store. They don't buy or sell anything in what could be considered large quantities on a per-store basis, except maybe booze & tobacco. Those are pretty swift sellers with any retailer that sells them though.

If Bi Mart has 70 stores, and someone claims they're dumping a 70 million dollar contract, that is simple math. $1 Million per year per store in Remington ammo. That's $83,333.33 a month, and if we assume a $20 per box average, that would be 4166 boxes of ammo per store per month, or 139 boxes per day. And since the Remington ammo usually is less than $20/box - that's really even more boxes of ammo. than that. They would be getting ammo deliveries every day, not just once a week at that rate.

I won't complain if they have MORE ammo available - but I don't have brand loyalty for cheap practice ammo so I don't care if it's Federal, Remgington, CCI, Winchester, Tula as long as it's halfway decent, and cheap enough to stock up on.

Dyjital likes this.