Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Billings bound? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Decker, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

The Mrs. and I are debating a move to Billings. Seems most websites I find are a very generalized review of the city. Anyone out there happen to have a first or second hand opinion/thoughts/review of the Billings area. We have a couple of family members but I think a little 3rd person perspective might be helpful.

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

why are you thinking about moving there?

3. Decker

The Mrs has family out there.

4. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've been there a few times but not lived there. I grew up in Great Falls. Billings is flat. bigger than Great Falls but Great Falls is also flat and boring. I have no desire to ever go back.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...m2!3m1!1s0x53488ae280a8d807:0x90f67359551e113

If you are looking for mountains, and other outdoor stuff I'd pick something more west like Missoula or Bozeman. Bozeman is 20 min from mountains and pretty close to Yellow stone for a day trip

clearconscience and Dyjital like this.
  5. Decker

From what I can tell Bozeman's economy is doing well and projected a good growth in the city for the next decade so we're looking there as well

6. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

What I always remember about Billings is the stink from the refineries.

7. Decker

Ohhhh... Good to know!

8. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've been in Billings quite a few times and I have never seen anything that would entice me to move there. It has all the things you would want or expect in a big city, but its flat, sprawling and kind of blah with no really "special" qualities. Downtown is OK with a few decent places to dine but nothing great. The Pacific Northwest far outshines it.

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

No don't do it..Your way to far east! Livingston is about as far East as you want to go.
    Billings is 400 plus miles from Whitefish, and that's some of the most awesome country ever!
    And Billings is way to far away from the The Frank Church—River of No Return Wilderness. (yah I know that's in Idaho)

And then there are the mosquitos, and the hot humid weather..

10. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

I go there ever 6 weeks, and I like it. But I'm also a hunter, horse person, all things outdoors, cowboy-country boy.
    There are great restaurants there. If you like meat.
    I for one, am DONE with trees, so I can skip western Montana. People there are awesome. The economy is doing VERY well. But t some of that is influenced by the North Dakota oil fields. For me, I wouldn't live right in billings, cause I like property. I really like the area between Missoula and great falls. When I go there, I fly to Missoula and drive east hitting the major cities.
    And yes, great falls blows.
    Bozeman is full of lake Oswego types.

maddog and salmonriverjohn like this.
  11. jsparks747

jsparks747 Portland, Or Active Member

Been to Billings a couple of times while on fishing and/or hunting trips. Loved it.

12. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was there Sunday, on my way home. You are 57 miles from Red Lodge, which, every biker knows, is the northern end of the Beartooth Highway, a bucket list ride if there ever was one. It's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and windy always!

13. Dungannon

Dungannon Vancouver, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Used to go there now and then during my working years. Like others above, I prefer the western part of the state. As I recall the community of Shepherd (sp?) had bad water, which led to some people to relocate or move away entirely.

14. Oregonhunter5

Live in red lodge

maddog likes this.
  15. maddog

maddog Portland, OR USA Active Member

I used to travel there when I sold farm chemicals and it was geographically much like the Snake River Plain I grew up in so no bad feelings there. The people were all friendly and the beef in restaurants was always what you'd expect from cow country ( big, juicy, and cooked to perfection).

If you already have ATV's you're set. If not, remember you can load dirt bikes in the back of your truck and don't need a trailer. Polaris has always made a great snow machine. And check out Scot or Winston fly rods, and maybe a CFO 3 reel. And you'll want a snow blower.

I'm a little envious!

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

My back door leads right to Frank's place:D
    If I don't move here, I think the Bitteroot valley would be a great place to live. Right over Lost trail pass.

17. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Huh? Get on google maps and find Billings. Look at the aerial photo.

I lived in Cody Wyoming for a few years. Every now and then we'd drive up to Billings to get some "big" city amenities. It has its good points and bad. I prefer Missoula, and Bozeman is OK too (if you like college towns being overtaken by yuppies). Bozeman is popular with Californians. :eek:

Montana is a beautiful state, but as they say, "You can't eat the scenery." I'd live in Billings if I could get my wife to agree. Since your wife is already on board, you are way ahead of the game.

18. maddog

maddog Portland, OR USA Active Member

VERY popular! Getting more like Sun Valley every year!

Oregonhunter5 likes this.
  19. Oregonhunter5

Bozeman blows