JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bill introduced to protect WA gun owners at work introduced

Legislation that would protect employees from losing their jobs for having firearms locked in their vehicles on company property has been introduced in Olympia by a bi-partisan group of almost 20 House members led by Democrat Brian Blake (91th District) and Republican Joel Kretz (7th District).

<broken link removed>

This is a fence sitting issue.
It does protect the rights of the people that are trying to protect themselves,so they can keep providing for their families

But it does not protect the land owners rights.

Maybe they need to section off a "gun owners" part of the parking lots.

The restriction is mostly the fault of the insurance companies,I'm sure

This is a fence sitting issue.
It does protect the rights of the people that are trying to protect themselves,so they can keep providing for their families

But it does not protect the land owners rights.

Maybe they need to section off a "gun owners" part of the parking lots.

The restriction is mostly the fault of the insurance companies,I'm sure

That's exactly the rub. Does an individual's right to keep and bear arms trump another individual's right to control the behavior of others on his or her property? (Although in this case, the second individual is actually a company.)

I would argue that when the second individual is a corporation, the first individual's rights trump. No corporation should have more rights than an individual. But when the second is a person, they should trump. No person should be able to have THEIR property rights infringed in the name of a second person's rights. For the property of a person, if you don't like their rules, you stay off their property. For a corporation, sorry, a corporation is a legal construct and HAS NO RIGHTS. (Or, they shouldn't anyway.)

Your right to bear arms is NOT INFRINGED if the company you CHOOSE to work for has a no-gun policy. You are allowed to CHOOSE another company for your employment.

I am not in favor of forcing private property owners to accept firearms on their property.

Before you know it, private companies will be REQUIRED to hire democrats. (oh, wait..... that already happened)

Last Edited:
The big issue correct most companies is liability. If they can't be held liable because you have a gun and park in their lot, many don't care.

Your right to bear arms is NOT INFRINGED if the company you CHOOSE to work for has a no-gun policy. You are allowed to CHOOSE another company for your employment.

I am not in favor of forcing private property owners to accept firearms on their property.

Before you know it, private companies will be REQUIRED to hire democrats. (oh, wait..... that already happened)

I agree with you but you'll have to admit that most companies that have a no-firearms policy have a parking lot that is littered with "violations" since most employees don't, or won't admit to it for fear of termination because of the Catch-22 situation. If you work for one of these firms, from the hours you leave your house until the time you return, which could be after running errands or other pit stops, you're expected to be unarmed, which for me, could be around 18 hours.

What if you're out and about on your day off and get called into work but you don't have time to drive home first due to distance or criticality of time? Under these conditions, a person whose job requires him to be on call certainly can't carry in case this happens. I don't like those odds. This bill would protect an individual from being terminated just because the firearm is locked in the car and out of sight and the employer found out about it.

This is like the whole Starbucks issue that was in the news. People have been carrying concealed at Starbucks for as long as I can remember and the anti-2A people see some individuals open-carrying and they suddenly lose control of their bowels and feel threatened. Why do they think that no person standing next them at Starbucks, the supermarket, or bank, is carrying concealed? I see this as an advancement on our rights and not compromising, which is losing your rights to protect yourself on workdays.

This bill does not infringe on private property rights, it insures them. Consider, yes, the parking lot is the business owners property...but the vehicle is your property, and you should be able to do as you please within your own property. This does not effect the Real property owners rights at all. If it is ok to bring your vehicle onto their parking lot, what business is it of theirs as to what your private proprty holds within it? Remember, your protection is only as to what is in that vehicle, I see no infringment on anyone's rights.

Good idea IMHO.

This is my view on it...however I doubt there are enough employment positions in the US to satisfy all persons who carry on a regular basis. It's something that has me scratching my head since it was passed in Texas. Especially since I will be traveling in my personal car for work through shady areas in Tacoma in a regular basis starting in a couple months

This is my view on it...however I doubt there are enough employment positions in the US to satisfy all persons who carry on a regular basis. It's something that has me scratching my head since it was passed in Texas. Especially since I will be traveling in my personal car for work through shady areas in Tacoma in a regular basis starting in a couple months

It really doesn't matter what an employer allows, or does not allow at the work site, what matters is when you are NOT working, your private life is yours...you are not your employer's slave that you have to obey him like you would a nanny.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top