JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have a huge problem with this. I think as a gun owner its our responsibility to keep our firearms out of the hands of kids (unless supervised of course).

I have no kids and rarely have kids in my home. If a kid breaks into my home and steals a firearm why should I have to pay the penalty for some one elses problem?

I have no kids and rarely have kids in my home. If a kid breaks into my home and steals a firearm why should I have to pay the penalty for some one elses problem?
Your home is secure, so that's a reasonable assumption that your guns are also secured. The criminal act of breaking into your home and stealing from you should in no way make you responsible. Someone steals your car and plows down people on a sidewalk, your not responsible. Your guns are locked in your home someone breaks in and steals them, your not responsible either... Period...

The article had almost no info on the bill, but with some digging, found it: House Bill 240 | The Ohio Legislature

The answer to your question is "no":

(A)(1) No person shall store or leave a firearm in a manner or location in the person's residence where the person knows or reasonably should know a minor is able to gain access to the firearm.

(2)(a) [summarized: if you keep it in a safe or tamper-resistant locked container only the gun's owner can open, you're good]

(b) This section does not apply to a person who stores or leaves a firearm in the person's residence if a minor gains access to the firearm as a result of any other person's unlawful entry into the person's residence.

I don't have a huge problem with this. I think as a gun owner its our responsibility to keep our firearms out of the hands of kids (unless supervised of course).

The little freaks in the latest Colorado school shooting obtained firearms by breaking into a lock gun storage. A little time, some tools and a lot of safes will fail. Now what, do we update the Uniform Building Code to include state approved safes?

I'm not offended by the Ohio bill. Kids sometimes get access to guns without great effort by stealing from their parents. This would make that method of acquiring firearms more difficult (though I realize, not impossible) -- but the law won't penalize parents if their kid goes to extraordinary safe-cracking lengths to get the guns (which I see as fair). It also doesn't affect people who don't expect kids in their home, also fair.

I think the law could be made better though with a carrot -- for example, exchange a receipt showing purchase of a safe and get a free hunting and/or fishing license or something like that.

Carrots+sticks are better than either alone, but the law never seems to get that.

Last Edited:
The little freaks in the latest Colorado school shooting obtained firearms by breaking into a lock gun storage. A little time, some tools and a lot of safes will fail. Now what, do we update the Uniform Building Code to include state approved safes?

The media said they "smashed a locked gun cabinet" but the cabinet is not described. If it looked like this locking cabinet, I wouldn't consider it to be any better than "left in the open":

Glass Door Gun Cabinet with Rope Twist - Free Delivery

(Nice looking cabinet though)
glass-door-gun-cabinet-solid-wood.v636867008319519976.jpg

I guess it's fair if they also hold kids liable for death or damage if they take the parents car without permission, or get into the parents alcohol and cause death or damage, or their knives, or just about anything else that the parents own. So parents should lock up all of their possessions to keep the kids from causing problems.

I don't have an answer for you. I'm just saying that if a house has guns and children, I think the guns should be secured.

I guess it's fair if they also hold kids liable for death or damage if they take the parents car without permission, or get into the parents alcohol and cause death or damage, or their knives, or just about anything else that the parents own. So parents should lock up all of their possessions to keep the kids from causing problems.

From a purely cold-hearted pragmatic position, not thinking about the children at all, minimizing school shootings will protect the 2A. This is one (though obviously not the only) reason I support armed teachers/guards -- these help minimize the impacts if a kid gets a gun into a school. Metal detectors would help prevent a kid with a gun getting into a school. Parents who keep their guns in a safe help prevent the kid from getting a gun in the first place (I understand that a safe is not 100% foolproof, but it will be proof against some fools).

If the kids start using cars or booze or knives -- that takes it out of 2A territory (well, except for knives, but I just don't see UK style knife control in our future until the antis have destroyed everyone's right to firearms, and if they can't get by the firearms, knives will be safe).

I say go grab Kip Kinkel and every other surviving school shooter and put a bullet in the back of each one of their heads in public and on national TV, then make the statement , "This will happen to you if you if choose to shoot up a school, church, etc."

I say go grab Kip Kinkel and every other surviving school shooter and put a bullet in the back of each one of their heads in public and on national TV, then make the statement , "This will happen to you if you if choose to shoot up a school, church, etc."

I agree 100%. Drag Cruz out into the street, and stream it in 4k straight to Facebook.

Won't seem so "glamorous" after that I'd bet.

We need a law against leaving buckets laying around, leaving poisons under the sink, 2nd story windows and swimming pools. Think of the children. No wait I've got it, let make a law against stupid people. Sooner or later we're bound to find one of these laws that will work, damn it.

And yet, how many time has this forum applauded with a teenage girl blows some derelict away in defense of her younger sibling.

It would be interesting to see the numbers. IF the scenario you outline saves more lives or prevents more injuries than are caused by kids getting unsecured familial firearms and accidentally or intentionally shooting others, the safe storage laws would be statistically indefensible. The opposite would be true if kids getting unsecured guns are responsible for more injuries/deaths than saves.

I'm not aware of any published numbers on this topic.

Shoot, in a basic "smash and grab" the perps probably aren't going to have the tools and resources to get into a decent gun safe. So why make it easy on them by just leaving them laying around in a closet or under a pillow? My firearms are the most valuable possessions I own, why WOULDN'T I want to keep them safe and secure (and resistant to fire in my case)? To me, it just seems like common sense to keep my valuables locked up. All other reasons aside.

We need a law against leaving buckets laying around, leaving poisons under the sink, 2nd story windows and swimming pools. Think of the children. No wait I've got it, let make a law against stupid people. Sooner or later we're bound to find one of these laws that will work, damn it.

We do -- child endangerment laws. But aside from that, none of those causes implicate the 2A (my point, even if you don't want to "think of the children" -- do think of the 2A and anything that minimizes school shootings is good for the 2A).

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews