JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the traffic worsens all over the Portland metro area, in a city not conducive to growth...we are experiencing some serious congestion. It will only get worse, coupled with the rampant homeless / transients on bike commute routes. Portland is no longer a safe place to commute / exercise via bike...anywhere. The chances of a homeless / transient jumping in front of you, or throwing something at your head are very real threats. Only about five years ago I can remember the Springwater Corridor as a pleasant ride. Now I won't go there without a piece, whether I'm commuting or exercising. Disaster area.

About a year ago I decided to stop leasing - as I would only be contributing to the congestion. Best decision of my life - but challenging from an EDC perspective. Presented a new level of awareness I had to quickly adopt. When I get off the bike after a commute, I keep the chest holster on and transition to waistband when I am in an acceptable area to do so.

That said, I'm curious what solutions y'all got for your bike carry?
I run a Kenai chest holster on commutes, plus front bag on my bike with secondary firearm and mags. I run a pocket holster in the bike jersey when exercising, or it might be in the camelbak hydration bag. Like jogging, it can be a challenge, but it can be done.

Last Edited:
A chest or shoulder holster are viable in that circumstance. I normally carry strong-side, but I think that leaves the gun unprotected and more vulnerable to a snatch if some brazen bum decides to body-check you off your bike... rolling with the fall will provide instinctual protection of your head and chest area whereas a level 1 (passive retention) hip holster could easily spit the gun out onto the ground.

A chest or shoulder holster are viable in that circumstance. I normally carry strong-side, but I think that leaves the gun unprotected and more vulnerable to a snatch if some brazen bum decides to body-check you off your bike... rolling with the fall will provide instinctual protection of your head and chest area whereas a level 1 (passive retention) hip holster could easily spit the gun out onto the ground.

100% agreed. May I ask if you carry hot on your bike commute? I have no problem with it myself, but I haven't opted to do so yet on group rides. My fear is a ND that results in a round hitting someone in my riding group, or anyone else for that matter. I couldn't live with that.

Last Edited:
May I ask if you carry hot on your commute?
I'm a truck driver so every time I go in it's w a minimum of an overnight bag, tool bag, cold weather gear, chain-up stuff (in winter, obviously), etc, etc.
So, to answer your question, yes, I'm always armed. But no, I don't ride to work. Also yes, I always have a round chambered unless I'm cleaning or storing the gun.

When I lived in AZ (late 80s-2004) I would trail ride the desert regularly w a 1911 in a surplus WWII "Tanker" chest rig (originals are expensive now, but reproductions abound). I wasn't concerned w getting bum-rushed, mostly with protecting my Colt if I should take a spill in the rocky desert... something that occurred with alarming regularity.
There are better options available now with lighter materials, more adjustability, better retention, and so on.
City biking puts you in a uniquely vulnerable position... very exposed. You have to divide your attention in several different directions all while being 100% exposed... be careful out there.

What's dat?
Is that one of those lay-down contraptions?
How do you even jump stuff in one of those, braaah?
Here 'tis:
FC2FB2B9-30F3-4CCD-8E23-B56BA4BEA4D7.jpeg

I just got a Hill People Gear recon chest carrier for $100 for any physical exercise (hiking, biking, running, etc.) and I wish I did it years ago. It's fantastic. I strongly recommend it. The only drawback I can see is that unlike a dedicated kydex type chest rig is that the HPG would likely require two hands to open and draw. It could be rigged to be open on one side if the gun were more secured therein.
Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers
I keep my gun in a thin holster inside so that it is protected from rubbing off the finish.

One real advantage is that you could easily change guns based on activities from an ultra light single stack if you're going on long run, to a full sized magnum caliber for a back woods hike.

Fits phone, wallet, small music player, keys, etc. and/or spare mag pretty well if you don't overload it.

70faff93-0859-4346-acb6-34d019994d0c_280.jpg

Whatever you do Simply keep your weapon(s) concealed and you should not have any trouble unless you have to actually use it. That's when it's going to get sticky just like always.

Obviously I am a doofus... never heard the term "litre bike" before.

That looks very much like what we used to call an "Enduro" bike... more CCs than a MX bike, also heavier. But able to sustain trail (and even highway) speeds without constant shifting like a 125-175cc mx jumper.

Your's is no doubt lightyears ahead of my last KTM thumper, yours is a true triple-purpose bike... I'm not (just a tiny bit) jealous.
There's no commandment about coveting thy neighbor's scooter.... just sayin'...

I just got a Hill People Gear recon chest carrier for $100 for any physical exercise (hiking, biking, running, etc.) and I wish I did it years ago. It's fantastic. I strongly recommend it. The only drawback I can see is that unlike a dedicated kydex type chest rig is that the HPG would likely require two hands to open and draw. It could be rigged to be open on one side if the gun were more secured therein.
I keep my gun in a thin holster inside so that it is protected from rubbing off the finish.

One real advantage is that you could easily change guns based on activities from an ultra light single stack if you're going on long run, to a full sized magnum caliber for a back woods hike.

Fits phone, wallet, small music player, keys, etc. and/or spare mag pretty well if you don't overload it.

View attachment 570853

Me too. Make sure to add the runners strap! I carry a g43, reload, wallet, phone, knife, flashlight, poop bags, keys, and pepper spray in mine when running the dog. I clip his leash right to it. Works Great!

View attachment 570853
Ive been using one of these for the past year and really like it.

Me too. Make sure to add the runners strap! I carry a g43, reload, wallet, phone, knife, flashlight, poop bags, keys, and pepper spray in mine when running the dog. I clip his leash right to it. Works Great!

I wish I had seen that or learned of it when I ordered mine. Not going to pay $8 in shipping to get it... would have done the add on at the time though.

I wish I had seen that or learned of it when I ordered mine. Not going to pay $8 in shipping to get it... would have done the add on at the time though.

My thoughts too. I used some shock cord and a piece of an extra rifle sling. I had to get extra D-ring snap things from somewhere but they were cheap.

off course, but---that KTM looks awesome,, ride on freeway as fast as you dare, all day long, then when the urge hits, go flying off road on trails/ desert/mountains.

My thoughts too. I used some shock cord and a piece of an extra rifle sling. I had to get extra D-ring snap things from somewhere but they were cheap.

I also made one for free after our exchange. I cut a length of useless elastic cord out of the bottom liner of my jacket (it's always been a nuisance anyway, catching on my pocket knife, and I've been meaning to remove it). Looped it through one side of the recon kit, tied off the other end, and ran it thru one of the free provided D-ring snaps. Used it a few times in my workouts and it improves the whole kit dramatically. No more bouncing and it holds it really snug for running, bent over exercises, etc.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top