JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Roundabouts:mad::mad::mad: Have you driven up 14 lately? Even got one at the Carson turn off.
Ugh. First off they're called traffic circles. Roundabout is what Nascar does.
We got a new one up near Cooper Mountain. There's a yield sign at every entrance but nobody slows down going into it, they don't care if there's traffic already in it. Then nobody signals their egress from it. It's the little things man, the little things! Traffic circle etiquette, yield and use ya blinkah!

We got a new one up near Cooper Mountain. There's a yield sign at every entrance but nobody slows down going into it, they don't care if there's traffic already in it. Then nobody signals their egress from it. It's the little things man, the little things! Traffic circle etiquette, yield and use ya blinkah!
And then you put the 70' long semis in the mix and things grind to a halt.:D 14 has plenty of them.

The rain. Yes, I know that is bizarre-o for an Oregonian to say, but it was one of the few things I really can't stand living on this side of the mountain. When out in eastern Oregon, it very rarely rained. Oh well, I'm southwest bound, where the precipitation is way less. :p

The rain. Yes, I know that is bizarre-o for an Oregonian to say, but it was one of the few things I really can't stand living on this side of the mountain. When out in eastern Oregon, it very rarely rained. Oh well, I'm southwest bound, where the precipitation is way less. :p

I love the rain.

I love the rain.

igePLFT.png

(Kidding; I know some people like the rain. I even had some family members that did. The desert is where I need to be though. :s0112:)

No, they are called Roundabouts in most areas.
Traffic Circle ? Sometimes.
The larger ones are called a Rotary.
I like 'em better than Stop signs or traffic lights.

ETA
In the land where they say might say Blinka, they say actually "Directional".

The Worst ones are called "Jug Handles" you find all over the east coast, No left turn lanes, so they make a funky right turn to go left, like a round-a-bout, which is Ok by it's self, until some jackoff in front of you decided to stop! :mad::mad::mad:

The Worst ones are called "Jug Handles" you find all over the east coast, No left turn lanes, so they make a funky right turn to go left, like a round-a-bout, which is Ok by it's self, until some jackoff in front of you decided to stop! :mad::mad::mad:
Don't forget Michigan Left Turns. With those everyone turning left gets to go through the intersection twice. First turn right then make a u-turn, or make a U-turn then turn right. Clever, not!!

Speaking of driving irks; this morning, heading into office, exhausted, and stuck behind a POS Saab 900, doing 10 under the limit, in the fast lane, with California plates, and a fading "Bernie 2016" sticker. Alas, my silent prayer for a vehicle mounted 40㎜ grenade launcher went unanswered. :p

No, they are called Roundabouts in most areas.
Traffic Circle ? Sometimes.
The larger ones are called a Rotary.
I like 'em better than Stop signs or traffic lights.

ETA
In the land where they say might say Blinka, they say actually "Directional".
There are 4 "recent" roundabouts (installed in the past 4-8 years) near where I live now.

IMHO, they move crossing traffic more quickly, giving everyone a chance to go, sooner or later. ("Okay, this side's finally clear, but, dammit, now there's a mile-long parade coming from the other direction!") Fewer people taking impatient, reckless chances.

And they greatly reduce speeds in the occasional minor fender benders I see parked and exchanging insurance info. Sadly, I know families who lost people in horrible 70 mph collisions when those intersections were still straight highways with poorly lit stop signs at the crossroads.

Still... even in my car or truck, I proceed with the same caution that I have for 50 years on my motorcycles, taking nothing for granted, assuming no one can see me, then sneaking through when I spot a break. Why? Because even when everyone has a chance to make direct eye contact as they go around the "circles" at 20-35 mph, brain dead motorists who have no business sitting behind the wheel (maybe texting?) still manage to hit each other.

WTF.

This got my goat last night.

Wife is making popcorn. Popcorn quits popping. She continues to let the FREAKING timer run out. Was probably 10 seconds.

Then I tell her how she's going to ruin the microwave with burnt bubblegum popcorn and she replies "So, i'll buy another if that happens".. but who the hell is the one going to install it above the stove? Me??? Like hell I will.

The only thing I miss about the roads back east is that they had cloverleafs everywhere as the standard for changing direction. I never really got the whole jug handle thing up in NJ (what exit?) but I guess they like them there.

Went back to Reno for a week to visit family.

People merge there, they look, they look again, they adjust speed to get in or out.

They do this while going 80-90 mph.

Yep, I'm an Oregonian now, felt weird going over 65 much less 80.

At least no one came to a complete stop to let anyone onto the freeway...

I've met plenty of people from other regions where they drive faster, who rant about how slow people drive here. It always irritates me. One guy I even asked "Do I come to your state and rant about how stupid everyone is there?"

I've always been more of a logical, by the book kind of thinker. I hate having unreasonable rules that aren't enforced. To me it's absurd to have a 65mph speed limit where everyone drives 80. Either enforce the 65mph limit or raise it to 80.

I've noticed a trend in this thread. A lot of peeves have to do with others who slow us down. In our fast paced world, we get all bent out of shape if someone costs us 5 seconds. It's normal human nature, but if you think about it logically, it's pretty silly.

I thought about this when I was stuck behind some slow poke on a coastal road some years ago. I was getting frustrated because they were slowing me down. Doing the math, let's say I was stuck following them for 10 miles at 50 mph, when I wanted to do 60 mph. The difference in travel time comes to a whole 2 minutes. Getting upset and stressed out over 2 minutes? Is my time really that valuable, am I really that important that 2 minutes is going to affect anything?? Get over it!

I've met plenty of people from other regions where they drive faster, who rant about how slow people drive here. It always irritates me. One guy I even asked "Do I come to your state and rant about how stupid everyone is there?"

I've always been more of a logical, by the book kind of thinker. I hate having unreasonable rules that aren't enforced. To me it's absurd to have a 65mph speed limit where everyone drives 80. Either enforce the 65mph limit or raise it to 80.

I've noticed a trend in this thread. A lot of peeves have to do with others who slow us down. In our fast paced world, we get all bent out of shape if someone costs us 5 seconds. It's normal human nature, but if you think about it logically, it's pretty silly.

I thought about this when I was stuck behind some slow poke on a coastal road some years ago. I was getting frustrated because they were slowing me down. Doing the math, let's say I was stuck following them for 10 miles at 50 mph, when I wanted to do 60 mph. The difference in travel time comes to a whole 2 minutes. Getting upset and stressed out over 2 minutes? Is my time really that valuable, am I really that important that 2 minutes is going to affect anything?? Get over it!
Your post is too long. Took forever to read. :p

Get a popcorn popper.

They're inexpensive and make far better pop corn than microwaved.

P.S. Driving is one of the things that doesn't bother me in the least.

Of course, I only drive 1000 miles a year or so, so there's that...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top