JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find that the older I get, the more important it is to make lists. I'm not even that old yet, so I guess I'd better get used to it.

As to driving, and people who block isles in parking lots as they wait for others to leave: I got a little insight into why some might do that. I was at the Portland Zoo a couple weeks ago with the family, around noon, and there was absolutely no parking anywhere. No matter how far out I went, there were no spots open. There were numerous vehicles circling around like vultures, waiting to pounce on any open spot.

I had dropped off the family at the gates, and was circling with the rest of them. After maybe 20 minutes of being a nice guy, circling patiently looking for a spot, I finally just did what everyone else was doing. I saw some people walking towards their car. I parked along the side with the blinker on and waited for the spot. I've always hated people who did that, but that day I started to understand.

Growing up in a rural area, I've always had this belief that city people are generally rude and inconsiderate, compared to country folks. I know there's good and bad everywhere, but I suspect that it's much easier to be considerate in rural areas. If you're considerate or timid at all in a crowded city, you're likely to get run over all the time.

I was at the Portland Zoo a couple weeks ago with the family, around noon, and there was absolutely no parking anywhere.

You have my sympathies. We tried that a couple years ago, in March. It was drizzling. Same situation. Screw their zoo.

Millennial: "Can I borrow your pen?"
Teflon: "Here."
Millennial: "Awesome!!!"

Teflon [Ordered meal 15 minutes ago]: "Food looks great! Can we get some silverware and napkins please?"

Teflon [Finished meal 15 minutes ago]: "Can we get the bill please?"
Teflon [5 minutes later]: "Thank you."
Server: "No problem."

Teflon: "Wow, It's finally cooling off."
Anyone: "I know, right?"
Teflon: "I've been putting off some yard work for two weeks."
Teflon: "Not that I'm super anxious to dig a sprinkler line..."

Millennial: "Can I borrow your pen?"
Teflon: "Here."
Millennial: "Awesome!!!"

Teflon [Ordered meal 15 minutes ago]: "Food looks great! Can we get some silverware and napkins please?"

Teflon [Finished meal 15 minutes ago]: "Can we get the bill please?"
Teflon [5 minutes later]: "Thank you."
Server: "No problem."

Teflon: "Wow, It's finally cooling off."
Teflon: "I've been putting off some yard work for two weeks."
Teflon: "Not that I'm super anxious to dig a sprinkler line..."

You forgot the ever maddening "Sweet." An example; Hey, you just stepped in dog poop, "Sweet"

Trying to downsize my pets, but I just got another one recently when a guy who got caught trespassing on my farm chewed me out. I would've expected an apology, but no. Common courtesy and respect seem in short supply these days.

I'm turning into a grumpy old man, I think.

In the city there are two types of drivers, Jerks and Idiots.

The ONLY way to avoid being swamped by the idiots.....is to drive like a jerk.

My heart sings a joyous song every time the scenery changes from buildings to trees.

In the city there are two types of drivers, Jerks and Idiots.

The ONLY way to avoid being swamped by the idiots.....is to drive like a jerk.

My heart sings a joyous song every time the scenery changes from buildings to trees.

This ^^ is profound.

Another pet peeve that might offend some here, though I really don't mean to: the prevalence of profanity.

It's a cultural thing, our society is changing. It seems there's little room for civility and propriety any more. I don't have sensitive ears or any particular problem with profanity in general, but in times past it was different. It wasn't everywhere, in your face at all times.

I can't walk through the grocery store without hearing teenage girls talking like sailors. I'll see articles online with profanity. I was dropping my kids off at church a couple years ago for a kids program, and stood behind a young guy who was dropping kids off too. His T-shirt had a four letter word the size of his chest covering it. Really?! In church, at a kid's program?! I don't know whether he was clueless, or being deliberately offensive.

I do have a relevant question. It seems there are plenty of people now for whom profanity is not profane, but rather everyday language. Curse words aren't even slightly harsh or offensive. There's no shock factor at all because they use them in literally every sentence. My question is, how do these people cuss? What do they say when they stub their toe or hit their finger with a hammer? When the coarse words have lost their edge, what do you say when you need to express some coarseness?

Another pet peeve that might offend some here, though I really don't mean to: the prevalence of profanity.

It's a cultural thing, our society is changing. It seems there's little room for civility and propriety any more. I don't have sensitive ears or any particular problem with profanity in general, but in times past it was different. It wasn't everywhere, in your face at all times.

I can't walk through the grocery store without hearing teenage girls talking like sailors. I'll see articles online with profanity. I was dropping my kids off at church a couple years ago for a kids program, and stood behind a young guy who was dropping kids off too. His T-shirt had a four letter word the size of his chest covering it. Really?! In church, at a kid's program?! I don't know whether he was clueless, or being deliberately offensive.

I do have a relevant question. It seems there are plenty of people now for whom profanity is not profane, but rather everyday language. Curse words aren't even slightly harsh or offensive. There's no shock factor at all because they use them in literally every sentence. My question is, how do these people cuss? What do they say when they stub their toe or hit their finger with a hammer? When the coarse words have lost their edge, what do you say when you need to express some coarseness?

They throw a tantrum. Like this:

My only pet peeve is.... an internet product review that starts with the words " I have not used/tried this yet, but...."

Unbelievable how many of these reviews are out there.

Well I might have more than one peeve. Just waiting for validation on this one before I unleash. :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top