JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And....another PP - Those who request so much money for used guns that can be bought for the same 'or less' new than the seller is asking. Yes, yes caveat emptor and yes it's the free enterprise system. I recognize that.

Not collectibles, not rare, but say every day Glocks, Kahr, Sig etc.

Oh wait you say, he's throwing in a holster or extra mag or two.

BFD.

And for another pet peeve: Girls/Women who cut slits in the knees of perfectly good jeans - I'm guessing they think it fashionable - To me it's a bit too studied to look fashionable - Plus, if every girl under 18 and those over are All slicing up the knees of perfectly good, heck new clothes even, doesn't the lack of originality subtract out fashionable?

Sliced up knees on good clothes = dumb.

I've seen a great many "pre-stressed" clothes for sale. Even Walmart. Top prices. Makes me shake my head every time!!!

And....another PP - Those who request so much money for used guns that can be bought for the same 'or less' new than the seller is asking. Yes, yes caveat emptor and yes it's the free enterprise system. I recognize that.

Not collectibles, not rare, but say every day Glocks, Kahr, Sig etc.

Oh wait you say, he's throwing in a holster or extra mag or two.

BFD.

Better be a dang fine holster and a bag-o-mags!!!

Idled my boat back up to the crowded dock at Willamette Park and instructed 3 others to wait there while I ran to fetch the truck and trailer. I was sort of in a hurry to get to ER, with a bloody t-shirt twisted into a tourniquet above my R elbow and a leaking gash under my forearm (another tale for another time).

Like I said, it was really crowded, so I had to make my way through others waiting with boats, kayakers, jet skiers, people loading fishing gear, etc. Then I came to 6-8 younger people halfway up the 10'-wide dock, with a tangled stack of paddleboards, life vests and paddles strewn all the way across the deck where they sat - enjoying a freaking picnic lunch! I stepped over them and between them, both ways, going to get the truck, coming back to retrieve the boat, and again, walking it along the side to line it up with the trailer. I didn't expect them to notice I was injured, which was my problem and irrelevant to the story. But what's with the picnic right there???

Yanked the boat out of the water, trailered it quickly to my house and let my wife drive me to Urgent Care where I was stitched up and given a full course of antibiotics to counter the Willamette River water.

All the way there in rush hour traffic, she was ranting about those oblivious millennials on the overcrowded dock. And I was pissed off about the matching doucheknot hair-dos on the guys.

Last Edited:
Teflon,

Can you explain the difference between Urgent Care and the ER?

Thanks!

I can help with that one. For one difference, urgent care costs, like, $300.00 +/- maybe. ER, way back 25-30 years ago, cost you that much just to fill out paperwork and sit in misery, for at least three hours.

Urgent Care will also treat coughs, fevers, etc, during nights and weekends whereas those would clog up an ER. Hence, the 3 hr wait because bozos with no insurance go to the ER for minor health problems of their kiddos. They also can't pay, but the hospital can't turn them away, so the hospital eats it. And that's how we got The Affordable Healthcare Act...

Mikej

Thanks.

I wonder if U.C. is covered by Medicare (including supplement F) or would it come out the geezer's pocket?

Which might be worth every penny....

I took my wife to the ER some years back to discover it filled to the brim with drunks, druggie looking trash and what appeared to be a bunch of non-er type patients, while my wife was quite possibly experiencing a heart attack.

It took us over 2 hours for her to be examined.

bbbass,

Thanks.

Apparently the ER really isn't an ER anymore, so if you can go elsewhere...go there.

I'd risk croaking for myself before ever going to another ER.

I do recall asking a nurse while waiting if my wife had been spurting blood she probably would've been seen sooner and she responded...NOPE!

Mikej

Thanks.

I wonder if U.C. is covered by Medicare (including supplement F) or would it come out the geezer's pocket?

Which might be worth every penny....

I took my wife to the ER some years back to discover it filled to the brim with drunks, druggie looking trash and what appeared to be a bunch of non-er type patients, while my wife was quite possibly experiencing a heart attack.

It took us over 2 hours for her to be examined.

I have an acquaintance that's an ER doc at West side hospital that I get to chat with every two/three weeks or so. I don't really drill him for stories as I get the idea that after 3 days of 12 hour night shifts he doesn't really care to talk about it much. He had indicated he gets quite a few drunks, that he needs to give tests to make sure they're not in crisis. People that don't take care of themselves, and drink/drug a bunch. Quite a few ODs that have been given Narcan.

I wonder if U.C. is covered by Medicare (including supplement F)

I imagine it would be covered as necessary treatment. Last time I was in U.C. I was seen by a licensed Nurse Practitioner... my wife goes to one as her primary care doc... Medicare and Secondary insu pays just like for M.D.s

(Edit: there are very few M.D.s in practice here anymore... most physician visits are to an NP or a PA)

Teflon,

Can you explain the difference between Urgent Care and the ER?

Thanks!
To me, ER is at a full-scale hospital where ambuli (plural for ambulance?) take car crash victims, apparent heart attacks, gun shots and unresponsive ODs. They have immediate access to life saving surgeries, MRIs, ICU, hamster removal, etc. When I gashed my arm and started gushing blood, I was picturing ER. Kinda funny, my wife later said I was the only one in the boat that didn't look like I was gonna puke.

Urgent Care, to me, is a satellite clinic, like a "Hospital Lite," sometimes in a strip mall. Coughing and sneezing patients waiting in pajamas and touching all the magazines. I know people who went to Urgent Care in Hillsboro but were sent on up the road to St. V. Hospital for more comprehensive evaluation/treatment.

We elected to pass on ER. With a makeshift tourniquet held over my head, the bleeding never really stopped (released at intervals to evaluate), but it did subside to sluggish oozing so I was able to stay relaxed and functional. Thus my decision to trailer the boat before going to get repaired. I never detected any nerve damage, so I skipped ER where they have surgeons.

Life Flight will take you to ER, not Urgent Care. And ER usually has a troubled looking patient or two in police handcuffs. Some sort of cute in a wild way... "Dang, I wonder what she did." I've not seen that in Urgent Care.

Last Edited:
On the plus side (at least in my experience with NP's and PA's) they at times are better at diagnosing than some MD's. Mine for sure...

In my last case seeing a PA, I had had few positive diagnostic results with my PP. I was experiencing increasing pain in my side. He prescribed an ultra sound, it proved nothing, so if effect he just shrugged his shoulders, with a 'beats me'...great, just great.

Finally went to see a gastroenterologist (not available, but the PA was) who rightly thought my gall bladder was on the blink. She prescribed a specific test.

The test proved I was about ready for ye olde GB to go blooey!

The surgeon who removed it said GB's are often misdiagnosed and once the the GB goes ballistic the symptoms often mimic a heart attack or other things and are then not treated properly.

He also observed I was within a few day maybe hours of mine going completely bad.

I later called the PA and thanked her.

Alright, another pet peeve.

Gun videos where the host has crashing, obnoxious, metal screeching guitar garbage for the first minute and a half...why? To prove the host has zero taste in music?

In addition, some open with them shooting 17 different guns before they get to the program...why? Am I supposed to be impressed? Well I am. I think doing that is idiotic.

Or, insist on showing us the package and then slllllllloooooooowwwwwwly pulling out the accessory or gun...why?

So what to do?

Quickly fast forward or immediately delete altogether.

PP's, I gotta million of em...

When I severly injured my left hand a couple of years ago, the ER doctor told me that I needed to come back the next day to the ER for a wound check (infection) and when I asked her about the costs while she was stiching my two fingers back together, she told me that it would be free.
I didn't believe her and repeatedly asked her if it would be free of charges, she kept stating that there would be no extra charges.
My wife even asked about it.
Sure enough, my hand got an infection and I went back to the ER. A different doctor looked at my hand and gave me a prescription for antibiotics.
One month later, I received two hospital bills and for the second visit, the bill was higher then the first, and all that doctor did was look at the fingers.
I fought the second bill and since the medical transcription clearly recorded the first doctors statement of free, free, free, I finally got that bill removed, but it took over three months of arm wrestling the billing department.

I have to agree with you all about most of the driving pet peeves. I've often said that probably 10% of people on the road (at least) have no business whatsoever with a driver license.

As to personal pet peeves, I have a couple. I'm not a grammar nazi, but Incorrect punctuation, specifically apostrophes, irritates me. Some people misuse the lowly apostrophe to a criminal degree. I don't judge people for poor grammar, but I can't help but be a bit irritated.

The other one that I see all the time, that has really crept into the modern vocabulary, is the use of the word "gift" as a verb.

In the past, only lawyers and real estate brokers used "gift" as a verb; now everyone does. It just sounds pretentious.

"I gifted my wife flowers and chocolate on Valentines Day."

CLT,

Sorry, but I really suck at punctuation.

I throw commas, apostrophes and the rest of those grammar gizmos on top of words like salt and pepper and hope for the best...it's a cross I have to bear.

I sure haven't noticed it in your posts, and like I said, it's certainly not my place to judge anyone for it. It's just a little pet peeve of mine. I'm sure there are plenty of things about me that bug other people.

The only gun-related bargain I recall 'happening' to a shooting pal of mine, Mick X, took place about ten years ago. He was in his LGS looking over some new shotguns and just happened to ask if John, the owner, had any old-style pistols of the BP kind, as he was also looking for something along those lines, either a .36cal or a .44cal something or other. 'Just got in this box of stuff from a widder-woman' and the local police', says John, waving at a wooden fruit box. Mick rooted around and soon found a single-shot percussion pistol in a velvet bag in near-new condition. Waving it at John, he asked for a price. 'I really have no idea about what stuff like that is worth, so how does fifty quid sound to you?'. Sounds OK, said Mick, who had just noticed a. the .36calibre and b. the brand name.

Out came his FAC and cheque book - the gun was transferred and the money taken, and Mick walked out of the door with his new top-of-the-line Pedersoli Kuchenreuter target pistol.

And a HUGE grin on his face.

He'd just paid a DEALER £50 for a gun selling, at that time, for £975.

Win!!!!!!!

As for bargains of my own - to many to mention - almost everything I have has a story and a good deal in it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top