Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Biggest gun mistake ever.....

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by glorydays4ever, Jun 28, 2015.

1. glorydays4ever

glorydays4ever Happy Valley Active Member

Many Years ago I was lucky enough to inherit a 1943 Colt 1911 from my Grandpa. I was just out of College and it was my first hand gun. I knew it had some value but being a DUMB 22 year old(no kids) I figured I would trade it for several firearms to start my own collection. Biggest mistake ever! :(

Anyway I traded it to NW Armory and of course they wanted it bad and at the time I felt they gave me a fair value on trade. Needless to say it was probably one of their best trades of all times.

So now I am reaching out to see if anyone knows or has any leads on this pistols whereabouts. I know it's a pipe dream but why not give it a shot. Stranger things have happened. It's probably the crown jewel of someones collection.

Colt 1911-A1 SN 942566

Thanks NWF!

2. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Like you said, stranger things have happened, you just might get lucky! Best wishes on your quest. Gary

Sgt Nambu and IronMonster like this.
  3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Well, I don't have it. If I did I would gladly hand it over as I think family firearms are important to keep in the family.

Good luck ;-)

blackadder, Joe13, Sgt Nambu and 4 others like this.
  4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I have a 30/40 Krag lever carbine with my great grandfathers initials burned into the stock. I hope you find your Colt, I would be devastated if I didn't have it.

Barachiah, Sgt Nambu and Brutus57 like this.
  5. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for a sportsterized 30-40 Krag with the front blade sight made from a squared off copper penny. That was my dad's deer rifle that disappeared about 20 years ago.

Brutus Out

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I met a guy that had an old scabbard for a 30-40 Krag. We were at a fundraising dinner, we were both so excited, he wanted to give it to me just so it had a good home. Our enthusiasms died when he said it was for a bolt action. :(

7. glorydays4ever

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 8.07.04 PM.png
    Captain William S. Busik
    U.S.S. Hanson
    U.S.S. Mayhan

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 8.07.04 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    taroman, Quackerbacker and Fast Eddie like this.
  8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. I would hand it over to your smarter kin so it didn't disappear again,though,lol
    Seriously,I gave my kid some guns and he sold them for whatever reason he invented at the time.
    Last present he will ever get from me
    Naaa,good luck
    Watch the forums and classifieds for antique guns.Never know.

308, Hook686 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I read a story somewhere ,that a guy was looking for a WWII vet,1911 that had been in action.
    He was watching a few that were around 2k.Another one was around 1k,but it had a name inscribed on it.
    Whatever,he bought it.
    Googled the name.Crap,there goes 1k as the guy was a war hero.
    Got hold of the guy,asked him about the gun and he told the guy the serial number without even thinking about it.The gun had gotten stolen in 1978
    So he gave it to the guy and the guy gave him a war vet 1911
    Anyway,there is hope of finding it.Maybe start with the store or the guys who worked there then?

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wouldn't the gun be registered in NW Armory's bound book. They might be able to contact the buyer.

11. Hedrin

Hedrin Portland area Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My grandfather, the man who taught me to shoot, had a .22 caliber Smith and Wesson he carried under the seat of his Black and White Cab he drove in Portland during the 30's. Best gun I've ever shot. I think of him every time I take it to the range.

spectra and Sgt Nambu like this.
  12. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ouch, I can only imagine...:confused:o_O

My family guns aren't worth a whole lot to anyone but me thankfully, but sometimes I kinda wish my family would have been more firearm oriented and passed some neat stuff down to me.:rolleyes:

Best of luck! This seems like a great place to start.

spectra likes this.
  13. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

A family friend died and left me a Springfield M-1A with a US GI stock with selector switch cutout and an original M21 scope mount and ART IV scope with ranging reticle. I already had an M-1A my dad had bought pre-ban for around $800. I had no use for another one. Guy at the range was talking to me about it and asked what I wanted for it (post ban). I said $1200 as a wild shot in the dark and he had the check written before I could finish saying it.

clearconscience likes this.
  14. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

I sure understand how you feel. My dad was an AAF pilot in WWII. He was flying fuel and ammo into captured German airfields as fast as the General could capture them. German prisioners were being used to unload the C-47s. My dad got knifed by a prisioner when he went looking for a souvenir. The G.I. that took out the German traded him a 1944 Walther P-38 for a bottle of gin. That pistol has a lot of value to me and I would be heartbroken if anything ever happened to it. I doubt it is worth anything close to your 1911 except to me, but I sure understand the value it holds to you today as a family memento. I hope you get lucky. After all, a guy has to get get lucky every now and again.

15. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Jbett98 is spot on! northwest armory knows who the gun sold to! Do you still have your paperwork from the trade-in? That will help them, help you !

You can get it back if you research it a little... Make sure you tell them you have made a mistake and sold a family heirloom!!

16. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Gun stores make a lot of money from youngsters selling their father's or Grandfather's guns.

17. glorydays4ever

I do still have the receipt from NW Armory........

clearconscience likes this.
  18. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yep somewhere is a 8 shot .22 revolver snub nose that I wish I still had. Not even sure what it was just have a lot of fond memories of that gun...........oh to be a kid again.........

glorydays4ever likes this.
  19. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

image.jpg
    Been there once.

I still have it. Sold it to a cousin who I paid back with interest a year later. On the wall now as an heirloom.

It happens.

20. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I once had a High Standard Centennial MK4, .22 mag. revolver, 9 shot, with 3 inch barrel. I made the mistake of using it in a trade deal and have regretted it ever since. I don't even remember what I got in the trade. :(