JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
During my pre purchase research on leverguns, I was considering 45 colt, 44 mag and 45-70. In the end I chose the 45-70 but I was close to choosing the 45 colt. Henry advertises their 45 colt lever as having a 1-16 twist. This intrigued me so I emailed Henry and got confirmation that they indeed had a 1-16 twist in the 45 colt chambering. Although they warn that a 260 loading is about max due to action length constraints. I have been led to believe that a good smith can work on these lever actions and allowing longer oal cartridges. To me a stout loaded 325 gr wfn hardcast bullet out of a 45 lever gun would be the cat's meow. Anyways it might br something to consider vs a 44mag with their 1-38 twist. Happy hunting.

During my pre purchase research on leverguns, I was considering 45 colt, 44 mag and 45-70. In the end I chose the 45-70 but I was close to choosing the 45 colt. Henry advertises their 45 colt lever as having a 1-16 twist. This intrigued me so I emailed Henry and got confirmation that they indeed had a 1-16 twist in the 45 colt chambering. Although they warn that a 260 loading is about max due to action length constraints. I have been led to believe that a good smith can work on these lever actions and allowing longer oal cartridges. To me a stout loaded 325 gr wfn hardcast bullet out of a 45 lever gun would be the cat's meow. Anyways it might br something to consider vs a 44mag with their 1-38 twist. Happy hunting.
I think your 45-70 is by far the most versatile choice off your list. We are not fighting Indians today where the additional capacity of a pistol cartridge is nessisary. When I looked at purchasing a 45-70, I wound up with a 458 20" carbine. Figured it was better to download the 458 than upload the 45-70.

Kind of my same mentality. My goal is to have a 400 gr load loafing along subsonic and a 420 gr load going 1600 or so for more serious work. Both are quite doable in the 45/70 and likely the 458 as well.

Is the installation something that needs a gunsmith?

I did not need a gunsmith to install the receiver sight. There were two small screws on top of the receiver that I removed. The Skinner receiver peep sight came with two screws and necessary Allen wrenches. One screw was slightly longer than the other to accommodate the thicker part at the rear (butt end) of the sight. They do not recommend any loctite, just clean the hole and threads well.

The first picture in this link shows what I'm talking about.
1894 Marlin

Now, they also make what they call a Lo-Pro receiver sight. It only has some elevation adjustment, but no windage adjustment. Sits lower than the above mentioned receiver sight.
LO-Pro Sight
http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Not sure if their barrel mount peep sight that replaces the buckhorn rear barrel mount sight on Winchester and Ruger 10/22's would work on your Marlin. For me personally, this would be the least desirable option as it places the "peep" too far forward .... for me, as my eye sight is ok but not that of my 30 year old self.
Barrel Mount
http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html
If you need a taller front sight they have those as well, though you might have to file some height off if it's too tall.
Front Sights

The front sight you could do, it's either two screws or dovetail. Either way that's something most people can handle. Heck, even I have done that.

I did not need a gunsmith to install the receiver sight. There were two small screws on top of the receiver that I removed. The Skinner receiver peep sight came with two screws and necessary Allen wrenches. One screw was slightly longer than the other to accommodate the thicker part at the rear (butt end) of the sight. They do not recommend any loctite, just clean the hole and threads well.

The first picture in this link shows what I'm talking about.
1894 Marlin

Now, they also make what they call a Lo-Pro receiver sight. It only has some elevation adjustment, but no windage adjustment. Sits lower than the above mentioned receiver sight.
LO-Pro Sight

Not sure if their barrel mount peep sight that replaces the buckhorn rear barrel mount sight on Winchester and Ruger 10/22's would work on your Marlin. For me personally, this would be the least desirable option as it places the "peep" too far forward .... for me, as my eye sight is ok but not that of my 30 year old self.
Barrel Mount
If you need a taller front sight they have those as well, though you might have to file some height off if it's too tall.
Front Sights

The front sight you could do, it's either two screws or dovetail. Either way that's something most people can handle. Heck, even I have done that.

Thanks Mike. I think I'll get one of those.

They do guarantee bullseye shots, right?

Thanks Mike. I think I'll get one of those.

They do guarantee bullseye shots, right?

Not only do they guarantee bullseye shots, they guarantee you filling your tag first day out. Then ...... we all woke up. :)

If you have any concerns or questions, they seem to get back to people pretty fast. Of course I can answer questions you might have too.

For the distances I shoot rat type pests at, (under 100 feet) a peep sight works great on my .22lr. That's just because of my eye sight, not the fault of the sight. For larger pests like coyotes, the rear peep on my 30-30 works fine to easily 100 yards. Everything I have read indicates people really prefer them over buckhorns, and I agree with their assessments. The Skinners seem very well made and I believe they look like they belong there. They are actually a factory option on some Henry lever actions.

I did buy some extras from Skinner, they are:

Dovetail sight blank with aperture holder. (Personal preference)
Skinner Blue. (For touch up, works pretty well.)
Elevation locking screw with knob. (easier than using the little Allen wrench when sighting in.)
Brass dovetail sight punch. (Needed one anyway.)
*Note: I would have got their dovetail file, but I had one that works fine.
Testimonials Please note, this is not a testimonials page, it goes to their Special Items page.

Last Edited:
It is really nice not to have to drill additional holes in any gun. I don't know about the peep being mounted on the bolt (slide?) of a top ejecting gun like a M94......but otherwise looks great.

It is really nice not to have to drill additional holes in any gun. I don't know about the peep being mounted on the bolt (slide?) of a top ejecting gun like a M94......but otherwise looks great.

Not drilling/tapping was one of the important features to me as well. It's something that can be undone if desired. Both of mine are side ejectors (Marlin 39A .22lr and Winchester 94 30-30) as is Howard's 1894 .44 magnum. I agree 100%, I don't think I would put one on the actual bolt (slide) either, for the obvious reasons.

I really tried to get proficient with the buckhorns, they are traditional and look "right", but my darn eyesight (even using glasses) wasn't working for me. The peep improved my accuracy and ability to get on target a bit faster with better results.

Was surprised at how strong they are, and they look nice, which is of course a bonus.

Last Edited:
Howard ...... one more thing. I think you can leave the buckhorn rear sight in place(I was able to), just flip the buckhorn part down if you decide to try out the peep sight. I don't think it would be in the way as the peep is up higher than the buckhorn. I later removed the buckhorn and replaced it with the dovetail blank that holds an extra aperture.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads