JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about Bigfoot, and see if anyone here at NWFA had anything to say about the topic, or any personal experiences.

I wanted to start off by talking about the Patterson Video, and ask if anyone had seen the recent episode of Monster Quest in which they provided some excellent evidence to support it's legitimacy.

They talked about the "mid-tarsal break", that non-human primates have which is the point at which the sole of the foot actually breaks contact with the ground. This helped to lend credibility to alot of plaster casts taken of supposed bigfoot prints.

They also contracted an independant research team to try and calculate the dimensions of the objects in the video, to establish an approximate size of the "creature" in the video. In doing this, they were able to definitively prove that the target in the video is between 7 and 8 feet tall. They were able to overlay a computer image of a human of the exact same relative size, and manipulate the human form to the form of the target. They were able to conclude that it didnt seem likely or possible that even a human of the same height would have been able to move in the way the target did.

They also showed an independant reasearchers findings when comparing a map of the US, one with dots to represent all known bigfoot sightings across the US and one with the same size map showing averages of precipitiation across the US. We all know that an animal of its size and diet would need certain amounts of annual rainfall, and would stay around those areas for survival. When the two maps are put together, its astonishing how the sightings percisely follow areas with moderate to heavy rainfall. The red dots indicate reported Sasquatch sightings. The colours represent average annual rainfall. The brighter blue, the more rain. Orange and red represent extremely dry areas.
Note in the eastern US how the sightings nearly stop perfectly on the border of the rainfall area.

What do you think about the subject? Are they real? Are they just all a bunch of mis-identified known animals? Have you ever seen one?

I'm six and a half feet tall and wear a size 15 shoe, but I'm much less hairy.

I did see the monster quest episode, which also sparked my curiosity, however, I have no experience with sightings or the like.

The topic of Bigfoot is often debated. While I am a sceptic, I place very little credibility in western "scientists" who are not open to possibilities beyond their lab and are dedicated to old rules they carry with devotion that religions would be jealous of.

So do I believe Bigfoot exists, as the fabled creature in "Harry and the Hendersons" or romanticized in hollywood? No.

Is there a possibility that there is some creature that has escaped the realm of discovered science that could be considered Bigfoot? Sure.

There is also the Swamp Ape, Yeti, abominable snowman, etc. All in different parts of the world in different cultures yet the same "figure" remains relatively unchanged.

Perhaps it's just folklore based from when our ancestors had fewer branches in the family tree and it's been passed down for thousands of years.

I'm not a believer, but I don't believe that they can't exist.

http://www.claytonbailey.com/bigfootskeleton.htm (scroll to the bottom)

I have never had any personal experiences that would lead me to conclude that bigfoot was real. I do, however, happen to have two stories told to me by my step father(his incident occurred up Larch Mt. back in the 70's or 80's) and also by a former employer and friend of mine(his incident occurred up near the Ivory Bear towards Mt Hood on Hwy 26). Both of these people are very credible, with absolutely nothing to gain and no reason to lie. In fact, my step-dad is what you would imagine if Clint Eastwood and John Wayne had a illegitimate son who then became a Marine drill sergeant. They are both serious guys, not prone to over-reacting and have spent their whole lives hunting and camping.

Their accounts are enough for me to believe that there is something out there that we dont know about.

Added pics to the OP from the Monster Quest episode in question.......the map of the US just blows my mind. To me, this is strong evidence of tracking the reports of a real "creature".

I think it's possible that some austalopithecus type left over mated with a cro-magnon creature and hasn't evolved yet, and that it lives in remote areas out of instinct and re-populates occasionaly.

It's hard for me to believe that with all of the people running around in the woods doing this-n-that (logging, fishing, hunting, hiking, moonshining, etc), there wouldn't be a more definitive answer on whether these things exist. You'd think that one would have been shot by a hunter, hit by a car, captured on a clear video - whatever.

At the same time, we do continue to discover new species all of the time (google "new species discovered" and see all of the pages that come up), so anything is possible.

Couldnt we call that "Bigfoot" then? If we believe that there may be an unclassified non-human primate living in North America, what would be the harm in calling it "Bigfoot"? I think there is some negative connotation attached to the term bigfoot, considering it has been ranked up there with UFO's and the like. People think if they say they believe that bigfoot exsists, others will think they are some backward white trash okie with no education.

There have been hundreds of credible eyewitness accounts, some credible video/pictures, and forensic studies done on hard evidence such as hair samples and foot casts that proved to be from something "unknown". When/if we do find this creature to be real, our desire to scoop it into the fold of science will drive us to call it some long latin name, and continue to say that "bigfoot" doesnt actually exsist. They did something similar when whale sharks were discovered. There were reports of sea monsters that looked like giant sharks, and when they found the species they called it a whale shark and said, sea monsters still dont exsist, though. Does this make any sense, or am I just going off here?

It's hard for me to believe that with all of the people running around in the woods doing this-n-that (logging, fishing, hunting, hiking, moonshining, etc), there wouldn't be a more definitive answer on whether these things exist. You'd think that one would have been shot by a hunter, hit by a car, captured on a clear video - whatever.

Ive thought this before also. But really, you could make a claim for each of the examples you gave.

Shot by a hunter: some eyewitnesses report being so scared at the time of their sighting that they just freeze with shock. Some report that they try to get shots off, but miss. These creatures, if real, have lived amongst us for the entirity of human exsistance without being detected, leading us to assume that they would be intelligent and shy.

Hit by a car: I believe there actually have been reports of these beasts being hit with cars, or seen by roadways. Just because one hasnt been recovered from an incident doesnt mean they arent real.

Captured on clear video: See Patterson video and info in OP. There have also been a few other videos that seem to be credible and genuine, and show a clear vision of something looking like a bigfoot. The afore mentioned episode of Monster Quest actually shows one of the other very credible video taken by a park ranger in a wilderness area.

Havent found any dead bodies: How many of us have ever been out hunting and came across the dead body of a mountain lion? Probably not a bunch. They would be the apex predator in the wilderness if bigfoot isnt real, and they are extremely elusive just as most predatory animals on the top of the food chain. They wouldnt likely be killed off by other critters for food(ie deer elk ect)so your chances of finding a dead one drops signifigantly.

And also, there have been hundreds, even thousands of eyewitness reports turned in by people that were logging, fishing, hunting, hiking, moonshining. Just imagine how many credible people havent reported their sighting! Like my step-dad and former employer, who never reported their sightings.

So, the case can be made for these questions?

OK, check it out.. What are your thoughts on the topic? I assume you believe them to be real? WHat makes you believe that? Have a sighting? Definately interested in your opinion being someone who has looked into it. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont have any sitings, i guess ive alwys been interested in it and i never miss a program about them and i have spent severalhours researching stories.

someday it would be cool to say i have a story, when my dad was 12 or 13 patterson actually stayed in his neighborhood to do some investigating here just out side vancouver wa.

there is a 911 call on that website that u should listen to, also after studying the material from the patterson film. its been proven that its not a man in a monkey suit time and time again. the guy who found that animal along with patterson is still alive and came forward last year with his story and its all the same he didnt want his name out years ago when it happened.

the howls and the wood knockin is really cool too.

its just kinda funn to believe. i also watch a program where the set up a board with nails infront of a cabin in canada that had been stoned and beat on basically.

thats nite an animal stepped on the board the blood tissue and hair samples resembled an primate but was not a complete match. did not match human or bear or large cat species

I want to believe....and everytime I drive WB on Hw 18 to Lincoln City and look into the trees I hope to see Bigfoot....me and my oldest daughter (7yo) watch for Bigfoot whenever we are driving thought wooded areas....

Thanks, I will definately check out that stuff on the website.

wayoutwest, I hear you. I drive through and hunt/hike around areas I know have had sightings and hope to get to see something.

As a matter of fact, for those of you who saw my Survival Weekend thread in the Prepairedness and Survival section......That weekend as my buddy and I were hiking out from there, I ran into a guy walking into the lake with his son to do some fishing. I stopped and talked with him for a bit, and he told me that he had an experience at a nearby lake (Shellrock Lake I believe) that led him to believe something strange was out there. Huge roaring sounds and screaming, big stick on tree trunk crashes, and objects being thrown all coming off a forested ridge overlooking the lake. The man was frightened enough that he got his family out of there, and called the Ranger Station to let them know there might be a crazed bear or something up there. He told me he wasnt sure what it was, but was pretty sure it wasnt like anything he had ever experienced before in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah! I love good accounts like that!

I'm probably not quiet enough in the woods to have an encounter of the bigfoot kind. If I'm shooting, running a chainsaw, aka being noisy any creatures (bigfoot included) probably would be long gone.

It would be cool if Bigfoot existed....BUT......

I recall some time ago, someone on their death bed admitted the Patterson video was a hoax. (I think he admitted it to his niece.) He admitted he was in the suit, as I recall he was over 6' tall. The costume was in the closet...I'm sure some searching around on the internet would turn this story up. The hype was too strong, as there is still to this day "sightings". It's fun to believe, even if it's hard to imagine it being possible.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top