JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up in gun shows. As a kid, lumping for the table holders and dealers: set up and take down. I am the first to agree that largely the whole experience has deteriorated in some locales and some shows.

There are still some good shows in the Northwest. Albany and Rickreall are a couple examples. The Collector's Antique show each August in Portland is refreshing and unless you're stupid, you will learn something there (from the displays as well as the sales tables).

Best little show in the Northwest? (and it ain't so little anymore): Kalispell in March. More than worth the drive.

But I've bought more than one "sleeper" on the cheap at a "Crappy Portland Expo Show".
I spent something like 250 bucks on a late 70s pistol grip 870 at the expo show. Thing runs great, only plastic part was the follower.

I'll try this again.

This 'contingent' seems to be continually in 'flux' with regard to what they want or think they need and are always describing what they are either buying, building or fantasizing about wanting. They seem to be motivated by current political trends and events, and base their wants, desires and purchases on them. I believe a large part of the gun industry reaps their rewards from these types and are probably largely in part responsible for creating a lot of this urgency and paranoia in the gun community.

On the 'flip side' there are gun owners who are long term owners of certain styles and types of firearms who concentrate on them primarily, shoot them frequently and have made them an 'ingrained' part of their gun ownership and shooting interests.
There is a lot of truth in this. Might be at least a partial explanation for the fads and crazes that afflict the AR's, for example.

Every couple of years I try to make it out to the Big Reno show. With GunBroker, Ebay, and all the other forums, sellers pretty much know the going prices on their stuff. The opportunity for bargains are long gone. But it's still fun to walk around and see stuff that I don't normally see in CA.

There's a decent range outside of Reno. Cabela's and Scheels too for some new gun handling. All in, it's a fun weekend even if I don't buy anything but some jerky.
This was a trip that I used to make and enjoy. It's a longer haul from the Seattle metro area. If you stayed in the Grand Sierra Resort, you could just take the elevator downstairs in the morning and you were there. I'd go for several days. I liked to shoot at the Carson City public range near the dump; I've not yet been to the new range out by Sparks but I'm guessing it's not free.

There have been a few comments about bad odors coming off people at the gun shows. This is real. It's been my observation that the offender is usually (but not exclusively) older. This is an issue in the general public; sometimes the elderly start to slack off in personal hygiene. I've also noted this can afflict the obese. Because of their bulk, it's hard for them to keep clean, can't get into a shower or bathtub, etc.

I miss a decent show. Got to see the pulse of what locals were thinking. My 1st show was probably 08-09. Still $450 AKs, women with boyfriends,ect. Then elections. Guns stacked on guns. 2-3hr wait times. Then no guns and $600 Springfield XD. Now women go alone and bring their kids. More diversity. More female vendors. High prices. Less haggling.

I was told by a dealer that goes to shows that if I were to go to a show as a vendor all my ammo would be bought up by the other dealers before the doors open on Saturday. Then of course the other dealers would sell my ammo at their marked up prices. It's nice to know there is such a demand for my products, and too bad I don't have any inventory. It all goes out the door as fast as I can make it.
This has been going on for years. The regular table stroke-daddies go around before the public comes in and scoop up the good stuff, mark it up and put it out on their tables. This is why you sometimes see tables that are covered up until the public is allowed in; these table holders don't want to offer their wares early to the stroke-daddies. I suppose it might be worse now with respect to ammo, seeing as how it's scarce all the way around.

The only show I would ever leave the state for is the Castle Rock Cartridge show that hasn't happened since 2019 and probably never will again.
This is unfortunate to hear. I've made the long drive from the "north end" to this show which I've greatly enjoyed. An opportunity to see some rare stuff.

I grew up in gun shows. As a kid, lumping for the table holders and dealers: set up and take down. I am the first to agree that largely the whole experience has deteriorated in some locales and some shows.

There are still some good shows in the Northwest. Albany and Rickreall are a couple examples. The Collector's Antique show each August in Portland is refreshing and unless you're stupid, you will learn something there (from the displays as well as the sales tables).

Best little show in the Northwest? (and it ain't so little anymore): Kalispell in March. More than worth the drive.

But I've bought more than one "sleeper" on the cheap at a "Crappy Portland Expo Show".
My first gun show was in the mid '80s, small town southern Oregon coast; my grandfather took me. It was amazing, or at least It was for a boy who was interested in guns but no real gun enthusiasts in the family.

I've been going to them ever since, off and on. Sure, they've gone downhill in general, due to various laws and the internet, and culture too probably, and there are some terrible ones not worth attending.

I have to wonder though if they haven't declined quite as much as some seem to feel. I remember them as wonderful, almost magical, when I was young, but my life is very different now.
There's always been shysters and high prices. I learned a long time ago to just walk past those tables. During panics it gets pretty wild and silly, always has. Everyone tries to push the envelope with what the market will bear. I remember paying WAY too much for gun and reloading stuff at times in the early '90s.

I'll never understand the talk of jerky and beanie babies either. I just walk past those tables too, they don't bother me at all. Sure, I've been to plenty of terrible shows, but I never go with the idea of getting a great deal on any specific new gun. I go because I enjoy it, and can almost always find something of interest. If you don't enjoy it and are only going to find a good deal on that new gun you're interested in, don't bother. You won't like it.

One of my favorite guns I bought at a pathetic little gun show in Gold Beach, must have been '96 or '97. I remember a table hawking "Emu oil" muscle rub, of all things. I remember it well because the girl I had with me spent a bunch of time talking to them. The whole show was slim pickings, more like a glorified garage sale, but I picked up my Ballestor Molina there for $190, as I recall. I still have it.

All the deals happen between vendors the day before opening to the public. Get your membership and if they let you get a free annual vendors table then take advantage of it. If you've bought & traded with other members on these forums then you should have developed a network of trusted people to buy/sell between..... But yeah you are right - Majority of gun shows suck now!

I never did go to gun shows looking for something I could turn for a profit. I'd cut firewood if I needed to make money. I'd go looking for the next Ooo I gotta have it, whatever that might be. As time has passed I've had or still have the got to have's. Most recently, before the Covid thing I'd go as a vendor and do the pre-show walkabout as others have said. The problem is the deals aren't found then, the deals are found Sunday afternoon 1 hour before closing because no-one wants to pack up all this stuff one more time.

This was a trip that I used to make and enjoy. It's a longer haul from the Seattle metro area. If you stayed in the Grand Sierra Resort, you could just take the elevator downstairs in the morning and you were there. I'd go for several days. I liked to shoot at the Carson City public range near the dump; I've not yet been to the new range out by Sparks but I'm guessing it's not free.
The range in Sparks cost like $9/person or so. It's not free, but it's not too steep either. The range is fairly long (1000yards?) which takes some people for ever to reset their targets.

What should you do with your firearms these days when staying in a hotel? Don't want to leave them in the car, but then again I'd feel kind of suspicious taking a bunch up to the room.

rickareal puts on a good show as does albany, kalispell sounds good might be worth a weekend trip. i just love gun shows. nothing like being there. i shop online a lot but actually seeing what you are buying is best.

What should you do with your firearms these days when staying in a hotel? Don't want to leave them in the car, but then again I'd feel kind of suspicious taking a bunch up to the room.
I've carried guns in cases through the lobby of the GSR resort, no questions. That was before the Las Vegas mass shooting caper, though. Not sure how it be these days. I see the GSR doesn't allow gun shows now.

If you are gonna keep guns in your car, I'd suggest not having any pro-gun stickers on it. Not even an NRA sticker. Other than that, and given that no one has seen what is in your car (like a valet parking attendant), I don't know what else you can do to prevent your car getting boosted any more than any other car. Make sure your guns are insured one way or another.

Gotten a bit off topic for this thread, but see this thread for tips on travelling with firearms while staying in hotels:

I never did go to gun shows looking for something I could turn for a profit. I'd cut firewood if I needed to make money. I'd go looking for the next Ooo I gotta have it, whatever that might be. As time has passed I've had or still have the got to have's. Most recently, before the Covid thing I'd go as a vendor and do the pre-show walkabout as others have said. The problem is the deals aren't found then, the deals are found Sunday afternoon 1 hour before closing because no-one wants to pack up all this stuff one more time.
edited to add: What you see in the pre show deals is just dealers trading dollars.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top