JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in my childhood days in NC, Ga & Mississippi I caught many many cottonmouths, water moccasins and rattlesnakes. I never got bit but came close a lot of times, just have to be confident in what I was doing.

That being said, THAT'S A FRIGGIN MONSTER!!!!

You heard about the fisherman who was bass fishing in Cottonmouth waters. He was using frogs as bait but ran out. He saw a Cottonmouth swimming by with a frog in his mouth so he got the snake behind the head and wrestled the frog away form it. To make up for his harsh treatment of the snake he poured some of his moonshine down its throat.
He went back to fishing. after about 15 minutes he felt a tap-tap on his leg. He looked down to see the same snake with two frogs in its mouth.

Sheldon

You heard about the fisherman who was bass fishing in Cottonmouth waters. He was using frogs as bait but ran out. He saw a Cottonmouth swimming by with a frog in his mouth so he got the snake behind the head and wrestled the frog away form it. To make up for his harsh treatment of the snake he poured some of his moonshine down its throat.
He went back to fishing. after about 15 minutes he felt a tap-tap on his leg. He looked down to see the same snake with two frogs in its mouth.

Sheldon

ROFLMAO

CavemanJim, recall, please, that the Snake Charmer, 410 Bore, was from the Start, designed SPeeSifically to take care of Water snakes, that get in boats, or whilst walking in the bad Country, defined by this one, as ANY Friigin Country, where poisonous Snakes are allowed to exist.

And Yes, I know they are Part of the Natural Order of Assaulting badder things like Mice, Rats, and other Vermin. o_O

It is only that, So far up to This point in Time, no one has been able to Train them Snakes for a more specific understanding of "their duties" as outlined in the "We Iz SNAKES" Union Contract. :rolleyes:

philip,

one of My Earliest memories, is watching a PG&E Employee, attack a Rattle Snake, coiled under my Mothers OUT DOOR Laundry Drier :eek: he used a Hoe... And hoed, and Hoed & HOED... :confused:

Me. I like and have Dozens of 22 Bird Shot, for the Four Inch Bird Shot Revolver, that I once had... It was an old H&R 999, if I recall correctly... I do recall that it would Shave Solid Lead rounds, due to its ~Very Exacting~ Revolving Cartridge Holding Device... :oops:

I mean 40 grains in, and maybe 25 grains Down the Barrel, is not my idear of an Accurate Revolver! But it brought home Snake for Dinner, Just Fine... That same cartridge I used in dispatching Skunks, inside a City Limit, with Approval by the Animal Control people... In that use, I carried one magazine for my 10-22, as I would typically get called by the Apartment Manager, to RESCUE, Little Old Ladies, from DII-Stress. :D

I was given PLATES of COOKIES, for this extra task, my main duties being Maintain the Apartments, painting and Lawn Mowing...

Almost turned Clothing BROWN, One time, when a King Snake woke up, to explain that IF I was to be in his Area, that in the Future, I was to Provide him Fourteen Days Notice.

Me LOVING Snakes Like I do, ( :oops: ) I Xeroxed a thousand copues of the Approved Form, I will be in Your Area ( Fill in the Date ) ... True Stories, exactly as they are remembered in my Mind, Un-Embellished, in ANY MANNER :rolleyes:

When I was a kid we had a couple of ponds on our property that we would fish in but were infested with cottonmouths. Being teenagers we would find interesting ways to kill them. We would take our fishing line and run it over the snake to snag it with the hook. Then we would quickly bring it to the bank and dispatch it.

Well one day we are walking the dam looking at the edge of the water. My friend had the fishing pole and I had the .22. I was so intent on looking at the water that I stepped on something that was all of a sudden moving under my foot. Fortunately between jumping 15' in the air and trying not to drop a load in my pants I didn't get a shot off or I would have probably gotten the nickname of "4 toes".

The only way to be sure that sucker is good 'n dead is to nuke it from orbit. I would shart myself and probably have a heart attack finding that whopper of a cottonmouth. The bit in the comments on that site about the cottonmouth's range not extending beyond east texas is BS - I know for a fact they are present in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Oklahoma. As a kid we used to vacation in those states every couple years - visiting family, doing a lot of fishing. Saw plenty of the buggers - thankfully never got close enough to get bit. I watched one cottonmouth hang out at the base of a jetty attacking sunfish I had previously caught and thrown back - a 2 foot long cottonmouth trying to eat a 6 inch long bluegill was interesting to say the least.

When running trot lines or jug lines, we would see them swimming near the boat a lot too. Not to keen on that behavior either. I love the fishing the midwest states have to offer but some of the other wildlife (like cotton mouths and copperheads and rattlers) need to go. I'd rather have feral cats than snakes around - especially poisonous snakes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top