JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey I got me one O' those....its a Colt 2nd Generation 1st Model Dragoon.
It really shoots well with 40 grains of 2F a greased felt wad and a .454 round ball.
4 odd pounds of Whoompability...!
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

Ah, it must be the Walker I was thinking of. From the Josey Wales poster.

Yep Josey Wales uses the Walker revolver in the poster...he is a walking advertisement for Colt revolvers...
He also uses the :
Dragoon
1851 Navy
And a Pocket Police or Pocket Navy

Seen in the movie are also numerous 1860 Army revolvers and several Colt conversions ....
Excellent movie , one of my favorites for sure.
Andy

My that is a classic. And what a testament to the craftsmanship that it still runs. :)

It is indeed a Colt made Dragoon...but its a 2nd Generation...Colt made* the 2nd Generation Cap and Ball revolvers in the 1970's and 1980's.
I am the second owner of this Dragoon....the first owner "Antiqued" it to make it look old.
I wish he didn't ...but what can ya do...?
So I just enjoy it as it is and shoot it quite often.
* There is quite the "discussion" over just which ones Colt made , assembled or just stamped and if any should be considered "actual" Colt revolvers ...but that might be left for a different thread...:D
Andy
Edit to add in :
The oldest gun that I still shoot is a J.Henry Trade Rifle circa 1800 or so....
DSC06814.jpg

DSC06817.jpg

Reminds me of a Marty Robbins song:

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day
Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say,
No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip
The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip,
A big iron on his hip.

Reminds me of a Marty Robbins song:

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day
Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say,
No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip
The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip,
A big iron on his hip.

That was my first thought...

Love that Album....My daughter and I would sing along to the songs , when she was little....:D
Andy

Growing up I hit the record player pretty hard, mom didn't care for much for my music: Aerosmith, AC/DC, the Stones, Van Halen and such (she just couldn't get into Running with the Devil and Squealer :)) but she would compromise and let me pick what ever I wanted out of her records, Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads and Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits got the most plays and I still listen to both to this day.

I also have a Walker made by ASM. When I was younger and could swing and saw with a 7 1\2 lb Skillsaw one handed the Walker seemed light. Now that I am in my late 60s it gets heavier every year.

Dad has an original Dragoon and it's in fine shape for it's age and shoots as good as the day it left the Colt factory!
Some day it will take it's place in my growing collection of Colt arms! Until then, Dad shoots it pretty often and it's always impressive!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top