JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am an Oregon resident, and have been putting in for a few years for the Oregon Big Horn and Mt. Goat controlled hunt draws. In reading the regulations this year I realized that Oregon has NO preference point system for these. It is a straight lottery every year with a less than 1% chance at a draw. So when not acquiring preference points your odds rarely change with the years. I could put in every year until I'm 70 and still not draw.

I want to be able to hunt Mt. Goat and Big Horn. What states have these hunts and have an actual points accumulating system?

Any suggestions?

But it's not impossible to draw. My brother in law drew a tag for hart mountain the first year he applied. I went with him it was a truly fun once in a lifetime hunt.

If you're young, you can figure what it would cost to apply for out of state for several years, than compare it to the cost of going to a guaranteed guided hunt. The guided hunt beats the out of state application fees accrued over the years.

Oregon is so tough to draw though. I have been researching the odds for some time now. A great resource is Eastmans. They do a ton of leg work to help with western state breakdowns. They give you great advice on states and specific units for all species.

If I were to buy a tag tomorrow though it would be Alaska for Dall Sheep or Alberta for Rocky Mountain. But all in all they are all spendy.

Hope the Eastman's reference will help.

Oregon is so tough to draw though. I have been researching the odds for some time now. A great resource is Eastmans. They do a ton of leg work to help with western state breakdowns. They give you great advice on states and specific units for all species.

If I were to buy a tag tomorrow though it would be Alaska for Dall Sheep or Alberta for Rocky Mountain. But all in all they are all spendy.

Hope the Eastman's reference will help.
I will check out Eastman's. I know Huntin' Fool is a great resource for folks as well as my boss is a member there. Good for me, because I get the benefit of his membership magazines!!

Oregon sheep tags are easy to draw.
Poker Jim 2006
I try to apply again every year but they wont let me.
image.jpg

I know several people that have drawn sheep tags. I also know people who have put in for decades and have never gotten one. Just keep trying you never know when it will be your lucky year.

I wouldn't put in for Hart Mountain Sheep tag. The sheep and deer populations there are dropping off. The mountain lions are taking over. With no pressure from hunting on the refuge the lion population is growing. Last I heard from other guys I know who have spent decades on that mountain the sheep numbers are scary low.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top