Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Big Horn & Mt. Goat

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Vaultman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

I am an Oregon resident, and have been putting in for a few years for the Oregon Big Horn and Mt. Goat controlled hunt draws. In reading the regulations this year I realized that Oregon has NO preference point system for these. It is a straight lottery every year with a less than 1% chance at a draw. So when not acquiring preference points your odds rarely change with the years. I could put in every year until I'm 70 and still not draw.

I want to be able to hunt Mt. Goat and Big Horn. What states have these hunts and have an actual points accumulating system?

Any suggestions?

2. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Go to Nevada or Montana for sheep, and Canada for goats.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

With what 11 Goat tags and 86 Sheep tags issued. I don't think you have much chance past luck to get one. Unless of course you buy one at auction.

4. nextgenar

nextgenar roseburg Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

But it's not impossible to draw. My brother in law drew a tag for hart mountain the first year he applied. I went with him it was a truly fun once in a lifetime hunt.

5. Vaultman

I intend to keep putting in here in Oregon... but I was just looking for a state that has better odds at getting a tag. That is the first part, then I have to fill the tag...

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Alaska?

7. Geol

Geol Eastern WA New Member

If you're young, you can figure what it would cost to apply for out of state for several years, than compare it to the cost of going to a guaranteed guided hunt. The guided hunt beats the out of state application fees accrued over the years.

8. RPS

RPS Central Point, OR Retail Profit Systems

Oregon is so tough to draw though. I have been researching the odds for some time now. A great resource is Eastmans. They do a ton of leg work to help with western state breakdowns. They give you great advice on states and specific units for all species.

If I were to buy a tag tomorrow though it would be Alaska for Dall Sheep or Alberta for Rocky Mountain. But all in all they are all spendy.

Hope the Eastman's reference will help.

9. Vaultman

I will check out Eastman's. I know Huntin' Fool is a great resource for folks as well as my boss is a member there. Good for me, because I get the benefit of his membership magazines!!

10. roguebw

roguebw Medford, OR Active Member

Oregon sheep tags are easy to draw.
    Poker Jim 2006
    I try to apply again every year but they wont let me.
    image.jpg

Vaultman likes this.
  11. Vaultman

Lucky. That is awesome!!

12. roguebw

I know several people that have drawn sheep tags. I also know people who have put in for decades and have never gotten one. Just keep trying you never know when it will be your lucky year.

13. RPS

RPS Central Point, OR Retail Profit Systems

I'm jealous. Nice ram by the way!! I've hiked all over Poker Jim and Hart for fun and what a great place to get your tag. And again I'm jealous. :)

14. roguebw

I wouldn't put in for Hart Mountain Sheep tag. The sheep and deer populations there are dropping off. The mountain lions are taking over. With no pressure from hunting on the refuge the lion population is growing. Last I heard from other guys I know who have spent decades on that mountain the sheep numbers are scary low.