JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The narrator seems to be reading from a truther script I've been hearing since 9/11 is all, and spent far too much time pointing out how qualified he is to make his assessments.
Dont watch cnn so cant comment on that.

Last Edited:
The narrator seems to be reading from a truther script I've been hearing since 9/11 is all, and spent far too much time pointing out how qualified he is to make his assessments.
Dont watch cnn so cant comment on that.
Some people, like me, prepare talking points before I speak in front of a crowd. Nothing more irritating than a bunch of uhh, umm, and likes, to start irritating the audience. I would assume this to be common knowledge. In the end I believe it better to lay out the 'who what when where' and qualifications of the one to speak on the topic.

Or we can just go with the scripted David Hogg/CNN mantra...

With all the nonsense going on, I was going to buy a few more AR15 lower receivers, just in case.

I emailed my LGS about his fees for ordering 4 of them since there are 4 lines in the 4473 form. Below is his answer with some stuff "redacted" for his privacy. Basically if you order even 2 firearms, you will probably get the ATF and local police doing a cavity search.

So both federal and local government agencies are now tracking everything we buy.

I was going to buy 4 lowers, but I guess I will now only buy 2. Apparently I will already be in their records since I have bought many firearms from him since 2008. I don't need to attract any more attention than I probably already have.

This is a VERY reputable LGS in the Portland area. I have no reason to doubt anything he says.

Yep still here,

every 2 lower receiver are at $25.00 that is with back ground check and more are $15.00 ea. if they are put on the form at the same time only 1 back ground check fee charged. ATF states that if you are buying more than 2 of a item you are either selling them and will come to your home to find out what you are doing with them and if you get caught selling them they will take legal action against you for not have a FFL to sell firearms. This is what is happening now under the guide lines, I am suppose to notified ATF if you are purchasing more that 2 item classified as firearm, Right now I am having to send to ATF a form that if you purchase 2 hand guns at the same week a form to Police Department and to ATF Tracing center and on the lowers if you are purchasing more that 2 you are a dealer and will have a very long talk with you about it.

I have already had to go thru all files since 2008 all people who have purchase more than 1 firearm and send in reports to ATF and it was not fun.

I will still do it for you but I will have to fill out a report that you purchased more than 2 .

Is this a joke ? What do they do ? I was offered the same on sale for half price of ever where else if a bought at least 4. What should i expect ?

Sounds like this FFL got nailed for not reporting multiple dispositions to the ATF.
In OR you can buy a case of AK-47, but if you buy more than one pistol (or receiver) from the same FFL within 5 business days, the dealer is supposed to send a form to the ATF tracing center.
I do not think the ATF cares unless they see a pattern and might think you are straw purchasing.
I rather not volunteer info though, and try to avoid buying multiple handguns at once.

I don't know what happened with my LGS. All I know is I bought multiple guns from him over the years and his prices were great and the transfers went smoothly. I don't know if the ATF is "picking on him" or if something else went wrong. I was never unhappy with anything he did with me.

It all started when I wanted to purchase a bunch of lowers and I got the response I posted in the beginning of this thread. I had never purchased more than one item at a time prior to this. Just due to price, I ended up getting the lowers from Cabelas (Anderson Lowers) and they were all taken care of with one BGC fee.

I don't want to knock my LGS because he has been a great guy to me over the years. I don't know what caused the ATF review (or whatever the proper term is) and it really isn't any of my business. For single guns, I will continue to use him in the future.

Speaking of FFLs in OR......

STORY TIME.
A few weeks back, I (a WA resident) tried to buy a used Marlin lever action rifle from a seller from this forum's classifieds. The seller (an OR resident) was about a 130 mile away. But, I wanted that rifle and I thought it was worth the drive. Anyway, I agreed to his price, to split FFL fees and to do the transfer at his chosen FFL near him. I thought, it would be no problem,. As I've purchased many long guns in OR with an OR FFL background check before.

Anyway.....
The night before the meet, the seller called me. He was all worried about the transaction. He said that he had read the OR statutes about transfers (since the BGC law was enacted). He said, that by his reading of it......I was prohibited from taking possession of the rifle even though an OR FFL did a background check on me.

I responded: "Really? I don't think that is correct. Try calling your FFL and call me back before I leave (Vancouver, WA) in the morning."

BTW, before I went to bed that night, I also read the OR statute. I did NOT find anything to put a monkey wrench into this transfer.

Well he did call me in the morning, before I left for his FFL's place. He told me that his FFL (a gun shop) said that because I was a WA resident........the rifle* would have to go to a WA FFL first. Before I could take possession. What? I asked that he call another OR FFL. Because, I've bought many a rifle in OR before. And this, has never been an issue.

He called me back shortly after. And told me, that a 2nd FFL (another gun shop) had told him the same thing.

OK, Ok, ok.....whatever. We agreed NOT to go through with the sale. But, in my heart......I figured that the FFLs were just trying to pull a fast one. But, two of them?

The seller put it back up for sale. And found another buyer in OR.

*A rifle and handgun are treated differently. I know it. And, any FFL should know that too.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Still Curious.......
I called a very well know pawn shop (w/FFL) in Beaverton, OR that I have had firearms dealing with on numerous occasions. I asked about the situation regarding transfers of a used rifle in a private sale. OR seller and WA buyer.

The pawn shop said that the sale/transfer could have been done. The OR FFL could have just done the BGC on me (and assuming that I was NOT A PROHIBITED PERSON).....then, pay the OR FFL's fee and I could have taken my used rifle home back to WA.

Just as I thought!

BTW.......I also called a well known Vancouver, WA pawn shop (w/FFL). Same question/scenario, only this time switching OR and WA around. Their answer was the same thing, as what was said by the Beaverton, OR pawn shop.

So.......there it is. Some FFLs. Uggggg.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Just because someone has an FFL license, it does not mean that they stay current or understand all the rules of the game, unfortunately.
There is absolutely nothing in the books again the transfer you were trying to complete.
You are allowed to buy long guns in Oregon. FFL should have simply received the gun from the seller, checked SN with OSP, and then processed your background check.

What's to say this seller even actually called an FFL holder to check? It seems he had in his mind from the start this transaction would not be okay, so perhaps he just said he went through the motions to make it easier to kill the deal?

The reasons I think this are threefold: 1) The transfer would have met all levels of legality, peroid. There is no grey area here. 2) The statutes are not that complicated to comprehend, so an easy reading through them would have given anybody the correct answer and 3) FFL holders are in business, why would they turn down what amounts to very easy income that a transfer fee represents?

I agree that just because someone has an FFL they don't necessarily know all the minutiae of the law, but something this basic to their purpose / function, to my mind is highly unlikely to be misunderstood .

FWIW.

It's a shame you were denied a highly desired rifle because of this. I hope you find one in the very near future.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top