JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Besides LOSING paperwork on an integrally suppressed 9mm carbine and a short barrelled AK a few years ago I've never had a problem with the ATF. I've only had a few face-to-face interactions (they were all professional and pleasant and REALLY were just doing their job). I am in NO WAY saying the opposite doesn't happen but my experiences have been positive.
To the point of this thread: I have filled out a lot of multiple handgun forms (yes, a copy goes to ATF, one to the local PD and one in my files) in the last 25 years and don't know of a single customer being contacted about one/them. I've also had quite a few collectors (Colt, S&W, Winchester, Kimber and the like) fill out 4473s with numerous firearms on them. Many other individuals with multiple receivers etc. and NONE of then were contacted either. Do I like all of the data being collected? NO! Do I like sending in that data, much less the extra paperwork? NO! Do I think "big brother" is spending too much time, effort and money watching us good guys? Probably, but so far I PERSONALLY haven't seen any abuses. It would be nice to think they are using this data appropriately.
I even did a background check on MYSELF (STUPID but required!) for somewhere around 100 firearms one time. It was all of the guns I "set back" for myself over about a 10-15 year time period and finally decided to just get them off of my "shop" books and transferred to me personally. Yes, I even did the multiple handgun form for probably around 35-50 handguns. I figured I might as well get my $10 worth!!! I asked the lady I was on the phone with at OSP if I had set a record? She didn't even hesitate and said "NO!"
I was quite disappointed!
So if a dealer transferring 100 or more guns to himself (I was afraid they would assume I was then selling them out the back door, WHICH I WASN'T) doesn't get them all riled up you guys PROBABLY don't have anything to worry about.

Have any good suggestions/links for sources of decent quality, decent priced 80% lowers? Open question to anyone who wants to answer.
Last 80%ers I bought were from Daytona Tactical. Since my tools get used, I got the blems... but they were promptly lost in a boating accident.

Sounds like that guy was not recording his books correctly and may have to do some extra stuff to get caught up and in compliance with ATF regulations.

The only report for more than one firearm purchased is for handguns only (unless you are a southern border state). If your FFL is selling you your lowers as "receiver only" and not recording it as a pistol, or a rifle then he does not have to file the multiple handgun sale report. Sounds like your guy is charging more and giving you excuses as to why.

Just because he is a reputable LGS owner in the Portland area does not mean he knows what he is doing, or that he is not willing to gouge you on the price of a transfer for an item he didn't sell you....

If it were me, I would find a new FFL that didn't charge the extra fees for how many items you were buying at the same time. FYI, there are 4 spaces for firearms on the 4473 but you can buy as many as you want on one transaction and the state still only charges $10 for the check. If more than 4 firearms are being bought on the same transaction the FFL just attaches a copy of the additional items being purchased on the form 4473.

Agreed, with one caveat: in certain areas, e.g., parts of states near the Mexican border, FFLs need to report (to the ATF) sales of multiple quantities of certain kinds of firearms (besides handguns) to the same person - i.e., ARs, AKs, etc.

I have not heard that this applies in Orygun, but as mentioned, it is possible that this was an investigation.

The rest - having them come to your home as a regular result of buying multiple firearms - I do not know of anybody who has actually had that happen to them, and I would think we would hear of it here.

I think the LGS is finding a way to charge more for a low ticket item. :rolleyes:

The US population is a bit more than 325 Million. The ATF's total employment is just under 5,000 (and less than half are field agents). So 325,000,000 / 5,000 = 65,000.

That's one ATF employee for every 65,000 people in America. So if an ATF employee were to inspect one person per hour, eight hours per day, M - F that would be 40 inspections per week. It would take 1,625 weeks (31.25 years) to inspect each person.

There are about 11,000 licensees in the US. So same idea and I don't want to do any more math but ...

I'm not expecting an ATF inspection at my home any time soon.

I agree that this LGS is under investigation, there would be no other reason to go back and cull records from a decade ago.

Having said that ... this in no way says this LGS is in violation ... innocent until proven guilty is the law of the land for very good reasons! I've been "audited" by IRS on numerous occasions. I've always been able to show a clean bill ... so if someone passed judgment on me based on the fact I was under investigation I would have suffered harm. We have enough "harm" in the gun world right now ... we don't need to self-inflict any more.

FWIW!

LOL.......

STORY TIME.

Right before the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, I bought 10 bare AR15 receivers. Awhile later, I got a call from the BATF. They asked me about the purchase.

Yes, I still owned all of them. Why did I purchase them?

"Because, Bill CLINTON is The President."

LOL. They were not interested in talking politics.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I worked for a manufacturer during an audit. Previous manager was fired and called the ATF, later I learned that it was a plausible call after I too was let go.

Anyways, 3 Jeeps roll in, all the same model with .gov plates, and 6 "agents" get out all in plain clothes.

We spent three days scouring the entire place looking for anything serialized.

Long story short. They didn't really care about a lot of things. There were serials in the shop that weren't on the books and serials on the books that weren't in the shop. Mainly they were looking for things like unserialized guns, illegal full autos, and things the owner did not have licenses to make.

Though the business itself was extremely shady, and I'm pretty sure sitting on full auto kits, I believe nothing came to light. No fines, no nothing. At the end of the week. They just drive off. The most they got worked up over was a handful of receivers with very light serial engravings that were to be fixed. They never got fixed, but that was about it.

It was certainly interesting.

I work overseas and come home once a year, a couple summers back the gunshop I use has had 15 firearms/lowers waiting for me I did the 4473 all on the same day. never peep from ATF. wonder as others have said there is something shady

I have a college buddy who worked at the NSA while he was in the Army... crap, now I have to killl you :eek:... Anyway, did not say what his job was, but he did say there is no way they can watch everybody. The volume of information they process is so huge, they must prioritize. Most of us have no reason to be on their "radar" for anything. There are too many harmless gun owners, conspiracy theroists, etc. for any of us to ever raise any kind of red flag... until you *are* on the radar for something incredibly stupid. At which point, you will be so screwed, there will be nothing you can do about it. Nothing to see here. All is well.:cool:

We really need to vote out the NSA from existence. How many terrorists have they stopped in all of their existence, like one right?

Then we have to go after the shadow surveillance. Obama basically cloned the NSA and added it to the CIA, only with a black budget and no oversight.

The multiple handgun sales report (Form 3310.4) has been around for a very long time as it is codified in the Gun Control Act of 1968. For whatever it is worth, back in January, I had two handguns (both revolvers) transferred through the local kitchen table FFL on the same day (easier logistically for both me and the FFL fellow), and the additional paperwork was filed with ATF and the Sheriff's Department. I heard from neither agency, let alone had a "very long talk."

I purchased four stripped lower receivers together last fall and put them all on a single 4473. The dealer filed the multiple sales report form as well. No unwelcome visitors have come to my house other than a misguided tweaker last weekend and he went away in cuffs.

I think the ATF has far more important things going than to harass legal purchasers.

E

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads