JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a point: I think the current crop of Mosin's at Big 5 are war year production models which are typically lower quality guns. They were produced in mega-quantities as fast as they could crank them out, and as such they won't be as nice. They'll still go bang every time you pull the trigger, but the bores may be darker, they may be counter-bored, and they likely wont have front or real metal escuchons.

For some crazy reason I can't post my message via paste, I will try to start a new thread here in the sub forum..

Well I tried but I can't paste my message and I am tired of typing without results

So other than looking for cleaner, non-counter-bored barrels, what serials should we avoid? (and what are we looking for in the escutcheons; are we hunting for them in the butt stocks?)

Hex vs. round receivers? Which?

Thanks!

Here's a few quick tips

1) take an AK47 live round with you. It is also a .311 bullet like the 54R Give the bolt to the clerk and insert the bullet end in the muzzle.. if it falls down near to the case it has muzzle erosion.. if it falls all the way to the case the muzzle is shot

2) Bring a cleaning kit and clean the bore good, avoid any barrel with darkness or pitting

3) Try for all matching receiver/trigger group/buttstock and bolt and try to buy the ones with full kit.. oiler/tool/ belt pouch/sling/bayonet/jag and cleaning rod

4) The stock is the least important thing since they are readily available from takeoffs and also there are aftermarket synthetic stocks

This is THE site for learning about nagant variants but it appears to be down http://7.62x54r.net/

I picked one up yesterday. $109 plus $10 OR background check = $119

M91/30, Izhevsk, Hex receiver, 1930, metal escutcheons in the stock, rifling is sharp but dark, not counter bored. Matching numbers except for the bayonet. Came with a cleaning kit, bayonet, oil bottle, ammo pouches and sling. Imported by CAI.

I passed on the rack example. It was a ratty 1943 made rifle, machine marks everywhere.

Aloha, Mark

No reason to buy a dark bore.. they made 17 million Nagants and only patience and a little self control is required. At least you got the accessories, tho

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top