Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

big 5 sporting goods mosin nagant 109

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by x1hunter89, Jan 30, 2012.

1. x1hunter89

x1hunter89 gresham oregon Active Member

i think this is the cheapest ive seen it so far in the last couple months 109

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Great deal these days as long as you truly hand select to avoid the dogs of war. The last one I bought was $84 out the door

3. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

Any pointers to stay informed with --Tula (did I get that armory right?)?

A couple bullet points for us newbs?

Avoid x, if you see y get it!

4. Blitzkrieg

I made a lenghty post detailing how to hand select but the site ate it.. maybe later today I can rewrite it

5. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

Even a brief couple points would do it. Thanks.

6. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

Was wondering the same thing, we looked at one today in Albany. Thinking about getting one next time they go on sale.

7. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Here's a point: I think the current crop of Mosin's at Big 5 are war year production models which are typically lower quality guns. They were produced in mega-quantities as fast as they could crank them out, and as such they won't be as nice. They'll still go bang every time you pull the trigger, but the bores may be darker, they may be counter-bored, and they likely wont have front or real metal escuchons.

8. Blitzkrieg

For some crazy reason I can't post my message via paste, I will try to start a new thread here in the sub forum..

Well I tried but I can't paste my message and I am tired of typing without results

9. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

So other than looking for cleaner, non-counter-bored barrels, what serials should we avoid? (and what are we looking for in the escutcheons; are we hunting for them in the butt stocks?)

Hex vs. round receivers? Which?

Thanks!

10. Blitzkrieg

Here's a few quick tips

1) take an AK47 live round with you. It is also a .311 bullet like the 54R Give the bolt to the clerk and insert the bullet end in the muzzle.. if it falls down near to the case it has muzzle erosion.. if it falls all the way to the case the muzzle is shot

2) Bring a cleaning kit and clean the bore good, avoid any barrel with darkness or pitting

3) Try for all matching receiver/trigger group/buttstock and bolt and try to buy the ones with full kit.. oiler/tool/ belt pouch/sling/bayonet/jag and cleaning rod

4) The stock is the least important thing since they are readily available from takeoffs and also there are aftermarket synthetic stocks

This is THE site for learning about nagant variants but it appears to be down http://7.62x54r.net/

11. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I picked one up yesterday. $109 plus $10 OR background check = $119

M91/30, Izhevsk, Hex receiver, 1930, metal escutcheons in the stock, rifling is sharp but dark, not counter bored. Matching numbers except for the bayonet. Came with a cleaning kit, bayonet, oil bottle, ammo pouches and sling. Imported by CAI.

MoisantNagant001.jpg

MoisantNagant004.jpg

I passed on the rack example. It was a ratty 1943 made rifle, machine marks everywhere.

Aloha, Mark

12. Blitzkrieg

No reason to buy a dark bore.. they made 17 million Nagants and only patience and a little self control is required. At least you got the accessories, tho