JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also see that you assume BiMart's policy is to not allow OC. Why haven't I been kicked out for it in any of the BiMarts I shop at? Or do some stores not follow policy?

Or is it, that you don't really know the corporate policy on customers carrying and are just assuming things?

I think you might be making things up yourself. I contacted Bi-Mart Corporate and found out it has been company wide policy for the last decade or so. They do not prevent nor care about people that are CC'ing - it is only open carry that is not permitted. Bi-Mart management are pro firearms as evident by their decision to carry firerarms, reloading material, gun publications, and not prevent CC, etc. They, however, have a large and different client base and many customers were not comfortable seeing someone who was openly carrying. Sounds like a sensible policy and well within their rights to promote harmony and a good shopping enviroment for all their customers.

Please list the Bi-Marts stores that you have openly carried in - since you do it all the time. Unless you want to back away from your statement.

A little update to increase my knowledge and avoid issues:

I went into Bi-Mart and asked for any written rules as I do not want to break any of them and got a blank face followed by "the rule is not to share your card with a non-member" and then the question of "why? whats the problem?" came from the manager. I stated to the manager what had happened (totally clueless what OC'ing was), and she agreed that is the Corporate rule...I would love to see this in writing, but nothing was found. Not sure how other corporate empires run, but I know that where I work we follow rules that are in a published document and we are subject to it. Here it is more for accountability, but we also hold government contracts so even more so. Maybe I am just overthinking the whole thing since my job pretty much is enforcing federal, state, local, and corporate law (OSHA related) and I am crossing borders, but thats my view on it. Ohh well, tough luck huh

I too am awaiting a reply via email from Corporate since 11/17/11 for clarification on what exactly are there Company rules that we are "subject to all rules governing such members" as stated by our cards. Maybe they should post them on their website as a valuable enabling resource to their customers...

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and God Bless America for all that it stands for!

Who does open carry anymore anyway? John Wayne is dead folks, so is the "old west"... Put it in a pocket or hidden holster and stop trying to look intimidating.

I don't know man, I just don't understand anyone not having a conceal carry permit. Taking way too much risk having a firearm visible, no matter where you go. Seems irresponsible and absolutely unnecessary.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Who does open carry anymore anyway? John Wayne is dead folks, so is the "old west"... Put it in a pocket or hidden holster and stop trying to look intimidating.

I don't know man, I just don't understand anyone not having a conceal carry permit. Taking way too much risk having a firearm visible, no matter where you go. Seems irresponsible and absolutely unnecessary.

Outside major cities, where open carry is frowned upon by the uneducated, open carry is not at all considered a problem. Small towns in Oregon and Arizona that I've visited had no problem with open carry. (Note: I define "small town" differently than you might, one was Prescott, AZ, population 100,000.) If open carry is acceptable where you live, why bother with getting a concealed carry license? If open carry were more acceptable in Portland, I wouldn't have bothered getting a CHL.

Update, sent another request and still no update.

It is beyond me why the cc'ers come in to bash the OC'ers. If they want to hide it's ok! Let the rest of us go peacefully about our business. We are not intimidating!

Outside major cities, where open carry is frowned upon by the uneducated, open carry is not at all considered a problem. Small towns in Oregon and Arizona that I've visited had no problem with open carry. (Note: I define "small town" differently than you might, one was Prescott, AZ, population 100,000.) If open carry is acceptable where you live, why bother with getting a concealed carry license? If open carry were more acceptable in Portland, I wouldn't have bothered getting a CHL.

I'm in the Berg myself, wouldn't at all consider it a, or even near a, major metropolis, and to see an open handgun is not just rare its unseen in my six years. I guess I can see some of the really far outreaches, i'm talking straight sticks, doing it for the purpose of defending against wild animals, otherwise I see absolutely no reason to open carry unless your going for a look, which lends to my accusation of perceived intimidating presence. Or maybe someone too "frugal", to get the concealed permit. Or pure stubbornness, unwilling to accept change, even then senility is no excuse.

Update, sent another request and still no update.

It is beyond me why the cc'ers come in to bash the OC'ers. If they want to hide it's ok! Let the rest of us go peacefully about our business. We are not intimidating!

No bashing here, truly, if i'm missing something or ignorant to your ways then please, do illuminate and enlighten. I'm open to learning, until then I call them as I see them, no hold barred.

Question here....So what happens when your driving across the bridge with a loaded handgun on your side with no Oregon permit ? I thought it was illegal to have a loaded handgun in the vehicle without a CHL ?...is that considered open carry, or transporting ?

Yeah, you wouldn't get flack from people for OC where I grew up in Oregon.

I see your point, and would probably conceal carry if I had an OR permit. I have my WA license and do Conceal Carry, and open carry depending on what im doing and where im at. Since thats not much of an option in OR for me unless I want to become a "felon" according to the law, I open carry. I live out in the boonies, here no one really cares and the few times I go to metro areas I cannot justify the time and effort + $ for safety training I have received since I was a kid + applying for the permit, and then MAYBE the sheriff MIGHT issue me a permit if he/she finds that my letter on "why I should carry in your state" is making sense to them. Just seems too much to go through as an out-of-state resident to get a "maybe".

Maybe the law should have been placed the other way around "You need a permit for OC, not CC". Regardless, of what should have been, at present times it is legal to OC and I try to camoflauge it as best as I can to avoid people being intimidated (dark clothes = Glock; light clothes = matte stainless revolver). Also, my mentality is a guy with a nice pair of khakis, and a long sleve shirt and possibly even a tie shouldnt look intimidating since the professional look should give the vibe of responsibility (my personal opinion here).

So with that, I agree with your point on CC but I also stick to my reasons for OC :)

It is my understandind that as long as the bridge you are crossing does not go into a "prohibitive" city (such as Portland), you can have a loaded weapon in your car since it considered public property. The same does not apply if you are crossing into anywhere in Washington though, in your car loaded - license required.

As far as OC'in in Church, I do not do that...only two places I do not carry, Church and work. I figure that if I am going to die anywhere, I might as well be at peace with God. Now work on the other hand.....maybe if we didnt have government contracts I would carry. I do have my holster on at both places, and both of these locations are gun friendly anyways since we sometimes end up talking about guns and planning a day at the local range :D

There are just far too many private businesses to have any justification for OC for me. If I were a business I would never allow OC unless in such a remote area that it would make sense. Personally the bridge thing doesn't have any value for argument with me, even if I didn't have a CHL I would CC.

Be a Hero not a Zero!! Get the OR CHL!! Its fun and great to have then you have all your bases covered! CoverYourAzz!!

I respect the OP's point of view! Lets all be SHEEP DOGs because the SHEEP think were all Wolves when we OC!

"out of sight out of mind"= teh WiN

Cheers!

RECO!

Not really mad about the situation, just find it weird that they sell the stuff but thats as far as it goes. Oregon will not issue WA residents a permit unless you go to a out-of-state friendly county which happens to be a 5 hr drive one way...
I got my OR CHL in Multnomah Co. (so have many, many others) and it's not 5 hrs away from Bonneville. I've been doing it for about 20 years now as I remember, on my third renewal now, still no problems.

Oh, my gosh! I never thought about offending someone or intimidating them! Guess I should ride in the back of the bus! Not use that drinking fountain for cc'ers only!

Open carry is becoming more prevelant thruout the U.S. I have yet to be not allowed anywhere I have gone. Restaurants, Best Buy, Fred Meyers, Sears, State Fair, horse races. Was questioned by security at the Horse races, then welcomed in. If asked to leave I will leave. Not a problem as I respect their private property rights. If it's corporate policy so be it. If it's going against corporate policy I will inform them so correction can be made. If it's public property then I have as much right to be there as the cc'er or anyone else.

We FIRMLY believe that it is a crime deterrent, not a "Target Me First" sign. Situation awareness is necessary regardless of how you carry, or not carry. You can talk aout your "surprise" advantage. Surprise is an offense tactic not a defense tactic. So, it could be said you are trying to bait the bad guys with your sheeps clothing just so you can shoot them.

I don't hide behind a permission slip.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top