JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that open carries that the Bi-Mart in Gresham, OR is not friendly towards OCing since it "scares" their customers and it is in their "policy" that only concealed carry is allowed. Unfortunately, I live in WA and have a CPL for WA, but since OR has no reciprocity with other states I cannot conceal carry on your side of the river...so I open carry.

Long story short, I entered the store with my Glock 23 and everyone seemed friendly and not concerned at all. Never did see a concerned person, nor did I make any gestures to seem as a threat. I was looking at some dress socks to maintain my professional appearance at work; then the manager confronted me politely and asked me to leave and return back w/o a weapon...so I did leave and did not return.

I had alot of respect for Bi-Mart and admired how they support the 2nd ammendment by selling materials (guns) and supplies (ammo), but this kind of did it for me. It just seems hypocritical...

From now on, I will switch from this local business to the "evil empire" business that has no issues with me OCing in their store such as Wal-Mart or the like.

<broken link removed>

I'm all for carrying a firearm, but at the same time I believe in being considerate of others I never had to put gun on to go pick up some eggs at my local safeway, but if I decide to I have my chl, I'm sorry but some people have a problem with people other then police walking around with firearms out, so let's be mad at the guy who's job it is to keep a store of customers happy and feel safe while shopping, I'm sorry but if you don't want attention brought to you out in public then either leave it in your car or get an Oregon concealed

Not really mad about the situation, just find it weird that they sell the stuff but thats as far as it goes. Oregon will not issue WA residents a permit unless you go to a out-of-state friendly county which happens to be a 5 hr drive one way...

And the reason I do not leave it in the car is the same reason many people carry concealed; better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Just wanting to give a heads up for all other OC individuals :)

If you are in Greaham, you are really close to the Multnohmah Co. Sheriffs Office. They will issue a WA resident an Oregon CHL. I have friends that have done it really recently. If you can make it out that way to shop, I'd think you could make it out that way to get your CHL and avoid these issues, right or wrong, they are a hassle for everybody. Also, in some citys here in OR, I think Portland being one of them, you can't open carry without a CHL. Don't cross the city line from Greaham to Portland!

I have absolutly no reason to open carry which is why when I decided I want to carry my pistol I went a obtained my permit so that I can legally carry my pistol any not owned or operated by the federal government, do you Honastly believe that open carry gives you any upper hand

Never said it gives anyone an upper hand. I said it is choice. I carry in the way that is more comfortable and more appropriate at the time.

Last time I was on vacation in OR I HAD to OC since I did not have the option of CC. All went well.

Many people that OC do it cause they choose to. I dont need to know or agree with their reason all I need to know is that it is legal. The one thing I am sure of is that those that advocate OC are not looking down their noses at people that ONLY advocate CC like you seem to be at OCers.............. CC is your choice for your reasons, why put down people that chose to OC?

Kinda overreacting aren't you? Bi-Mart is a private business that caters to all types of people and has the right to restrict whatever they want (no shoes, no shirt, no service). Are you also going to boycott Cabelas, gunshops, etc for the same policy? Complain about public areas that restrict your rights but don't knock on private business when they exercise theirs.

How dare a private business make a rule.............. Mostly a liability one and I would do the same........... You would not even comprehend the insurance rates at a shooting range even if you get insurance.

Write the management. I've never had a problem at other Bi-Mart stores. They should just train their employees better.

As for "any retail..." I've openly carried (or friends have) at all sorts of retail establishments outside the Portland/Beaverton no-unlicensed-open-carry zone without problems. Most notable one in the Portland area that we THOUGHT we might have a problem in was Fry's Electronics down in Wilsonville. No problems whatsoever. (We did have problems at Taco Bell after, though.)

I have no problem with any business not wanting open carry in their establishment. Business is all about the bottom line and the fact is customers are potentially put off by the sight of someone open carrying. That means you loose business and money. As long as they allow concealed carry, which does not affect their business, I am very understanding of why open carry would be banned.

I have no problem with any business not wanting open carry in their establishment. Business is all about the bottom line and the fact is customers are potentially put off by the sight of someone open carrying. That means you loose business and money. As long as they allow concealed carry, which does not affect their business, I am very understanding of why open carry would be banned.

I agree. I grew up with guns and I own quite a few. With that being said i still get nervous at the sight of open carrying in a place where it's not expected. I understand your situation with having to do the open carry but you're in another state and people get nervous at the sight of OC. At least they allow CC. Go to keith's sporting goods and the first sign is a no CC unless you're LE.

I'm all for carrying a firearm, but at the same time I believe in being considerate of others I never had to put gun on to go pick up some eggs at my local safeway, but if I decide to I have my chl, I'm sorry but some people have a problem with people other then police walking around with firearms out, so let's be mad at the guy who's job it is to keep a store of customers happy and feel safe while shopping, I'm sorry but if you don't want attention brought to you out in public then either leave it in your car or get an Oregon concealed

Sorry, but this is completely ignorant. I've never HAD to put on my gun to go pick up eggs at Safeway either. However, I DO. I put one on to go to work (even though I don't HAVE to). I put one on to go to the movies. I put one on to go visit my family. I put one on EVERY time I leave my home. Very few exceptions. It's my choice and right. I think it would be foolish not to. Just because I've never had someone try to jack me up in Bi-Mart doesn't mean it couldn't happen. The news is full of idiots, daily. There are shootings everywhere, every day. I'm not playing that lottery. I refuse to be a victim. Assuming something won't happen because it's something you routinely do (and nothing ever happens) is EXACTLY when you'll find yourself needing protection and won't have it with you. I find it completely stupid when someone makes the statement that it's not needed because you're going to do some mundane activity. Tell that to the people sitting at work when some jilted lover/husband walks in and smokes their significant other and half of their co-workers/customers. Pick a day, read the news. Happens all day long. Am I only supposed to carry when I KNOW I'm going to be carjacked by some meth head? When exactly is that going to be?

Now.....part 2. I don't care if others find it uncomfortable that citizens open carry. Will you possibly catch heck for it? Yes. But that's because our society has degraded to the point that law-abiding citizens with weapons are demonized and people fear them because they have lack of understanding. If it were practiced alot more, there probably wouldn't be the common reaction to it that there is today. However, businesses have a right to make rules for their establishment. If that rule is no weapons, (or at least visible ones) then that's THEIR right and choice. But we also have a right not to patronize those businesses that instill rules we don't agree with. It's America. Do what you want. If I walked into an establishment and they asked me to leave because I was practicing a constitutional right, I would. And I would NEVER come back. I would also let others know about my experience. If being considerate of others means hiding my "scary" self defense device......then the "others" are a bunch of pu55ies. I seriously fret for the future of this country.

Yes....the store manager has a job to do, keeping the customers feeling safe and happy while they spend money in his establishment. Can't really bag on that guy. But we can bag on the chain that made the policy in the first place. And we can bag on the "others" that are too ignorant understand why we carry. Sometimes openly.

And we can also bag on geniuses that make untrue general statements about how every retailer in two states will throw you out for OCing. Probably should get a little more experience behind you before you throw out things like that if you don't wantto get flamed......

I think my head just exploded.....

Yes....the store manager has a job to do, keeping the customers feeling safe and happy while they spend money in his establishment. Can't really bag on that guy. But we can bag on the chain that made the policy in the first place. And we can bag on the "others" that are too ignorant understand why we carry. Sometimes openly.

And we can also bag on geniuses that make untrue general statements about how every retailer in two states will throw you out for OCing. Probably should get a little more experience behind you before you throw out things like that if you don't wantto get flamed......

I think my head just exploded.....

What you fail to see in your rage is that we are talking about everyone's rights - not just yours. I have no problem with open carry in general and feel you should be able to in all publicly owned venues. However, you should not be allowed to infringe on someone elses rights just to be able to demonstrate your own. Whether it is a private residence or private business - you need to adhere to their rules not yours. You can choose not to enter and go somewhere else - that is YOUR right. THEIR right is to say no OC, no tennis shoes, no nudity, no Washington Huskies, etc.. They have to live with the consequences of your lost revenue or friendship. But they don't have to sacrifice their own RIGHTS for yours.

Your ignorance of the difference between the publicly exercised rights of individuals and private people/entities is shocking. How can you whine about your rights when you want to take away someone elses who has worked hard to establish a business or home where they make the rules. Unless you want to have the Federal government make another law that takes away more rights of private people.

All this angst over what business will let you OC or CC, wear shoes or shirts, is juvenile. Somehow I think that you are the (to you use your own word) " pu55ies" who gets all bent out of shape and throws a hissy fit. How about you learn to respect others and their rights as well as just demanding they respect yours.

Based on the description of your location in the member info "Your mom's house" - gives me a clear indication of your intellect. Had I saw that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have bothered to respond.

why cause a disturbance with a company that is on your side? I have a chl and if someone came into a retail store open carrying, I'd be a littel nervous and alarmed as well. I evaluate criminals that are both charged and convicted of armed robbery, so my radar goes way up when I see someone opening carrying is store. Bimart gets held up like other retail or discount stores.

I really think we're providing good opposing views on this matter. The problem is they're opposing views of two separate issues though. It's your right to own guns and to carry them but it this case it's a store and the manager had to say something about it since it was carried openly. It sucks but oh well it happened

What you fail to see in your rage is that we are talking about everyone's rights - not just yours. I have no problem with open carry in general and feel you should be able to in all publicly owned venues. However, you should not be allowed to infringe on someone elses rights just to be able to demonstrate your own. Whether it is a private residence or private business - you need to adhere to their rules not yours. You can choose not to enter and go somewhere else - that is YOUR right. THEIR right is to say no OC, no tennis shoes, no nudity, no Washington Huskies, etc.. They have to live with the consequences of your lost revenue or friendship. But they don't have to sacrifice their own RIGHTS for yours.

Your ignorance of the difference between the publicly exercised rights of individuals and private people/entities is shocking. How can you whine about your rights when you want to take away someone elses who has worked hard to establish a business or home where they make the rules. Unless you want to have the Federal government make another law that takes away more rights of private people.

All this angst over what business will let you OC or CC, wear shoes or shirts, is juvenile. Somehow I think that you are the (to you use your own word) " pu55ies" who gets all bent out of shape and throws a hissy fit. How about you learn to respect others and their rights as well as just demanding they respect yours.

Based on the description of your location in the member info "Your mom's house" - gives me a clear indication of your intellect. Had I saw that beforehand, I probably wouldn't have bothered to respond.

LMAO........oh my god. All I'm gonna say is, go back and actually READ my post. That's what I said. Exactly what you said in your first paragraph. It's their right to make rules and it's our right to not patronize those businesses. Along with that....it's sad that people are so scared of our desire to exercise that right.

It's unfortunate that you feel I have a low intellect, however, you just demonstrated yours by showing us your inability to actually read.

That's all I have to say on this. Good luck being stupid.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top