JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wonder how soon our liberal progressive democrat Governor will be bragging about all the bad guys her BGC law has prevented from buying a gun? I really would like to know if they prosecute anyone.

I would like to know the rate of compliance with the new law, plus the actual number of checks that have been run in the first month.

My suspicion is that we will be very underwhelmed by the numbers. Many guys that I know (myself included) have simply stopped conducting private trades. A few others have taken the "What law?" approach.

E

IMO about the only thing that has been reduced is the level of private party sales via forums like this where individuals publicly state their intent.

Now, between friends that can be trusted, my guess is most folks will simply say Phloyd can go fornicate himself.

Private party sales like concealed carry when done correctly, no one is the wiser.

Nephew went in yesterday to buy himself a new gun. Instant check took three hours to tell him he has to wait until Oct 30 to pick it up. When you give the state the power over your god given rights the state will abuse you.

I'm sure they will do just like all else, take inflated numbers (or just make thrm up) and say see this law is working! We earned our money.
BS.

Or you will hear nothing about it (more likely) and when the next crazy person does what crazy people do, they will push for more control and more abuse of law abiding citizens rights.

Which is already becoming the case. Look at the recent shootings. Crazy people who passed a BGC and bought weapons, and in those cases it wasn't 5 minutes after buying a gun it was months so a waiting period as they have pushed in the past won't save people either.

However, career criminals have killed people the day they get released. Maybe we should start there.

There was a great letter from a local Officer read on Lars Larsen's show Friday about the time and enegy (tax dollars) spent on drug arrests and paperwork and what a waste of time it was.

So how exactly does non-compliance work for any gun originally sold through an FFL after the start date of the law? Is there no paper trail associated with Oregon private transfers?

So how exactly does non-compliance work for any gun originally sold through an FFL after the start date of the law? Is there no paper trail associated with Oregon private transfers?

I would assume there is a paper trail but I would only imagine one would be charged as an add on charge to a gun crime.

If you are not a criminal and you trust who you deal with it shouldn't be an issue but personally I wouldn't do it.

Pre enact date.. game on.

I'm also not doing it. But I'm probably going to sell a gun to a good friend of mine (who I definitely trust), and it's just got me thinking - even with my good buddy, how the crap would I even do that if I wanted to, with no expectation of ever getting "caught?"

If he shot someone (he wants a handgun for personal defense afterall), they'd obviously run the gun, take it to the FFL that sold it, 4473 is written to ME after the start of the effective BGC date, go to the state system..... nothing. Seems like what we call "prima facie" evidence of guilt. And is there any kind of statory limitation on prosecution? Or could I be prosecuted 100 years from now, if that's how long it takes my friend to shoot someone or get the gun stolen or whatever whatever?

I just don't get how these guys think they're not going to BECOME the test-cases the state needs to "prove" the law is working.

??

You don't do it period.
Even if you do it......you never did it
; )

I personally wouldn't risk the charge it's not worth losing my rights just to skip a $10 BGC.
Even more reason for me to get a good online deal.

AND even more reason for me not to sell firearms I have! Just add to them!
In the past I would sell a gun to fund another one, now I'll just buy more.

I wish they would make a exemption for guns being passed on through the same family

So out of 16,811 transactions 135 were denied with 1 arrest...good job really taking a bite out of crime there. How many scumbags do you suppose got their guns by other means? What a joke.
And how many of those turned out to be false red flags that were later cleared up? I'm gonna guess almost all of them.

And the rest were people with relatively minor crimes on their record they didn't even realize would prohibit them.

In WA there has been people openly and blatantly disregarding 594. Nothing was done. LEOs don't want to arrest otherwise law abiding citizens and I think prosecutors and juries if it got to that feel the same way.

Besides it would be horrible PR for the anti-gun crowd if the screwed a normal guy for selling a gun to someone who could pass a BGC.

Nephew spent three hours in the gunstore trying to buy a handgun for home protection and was told he had to wait until Oct 30 to come pick it up. He has bought several guns from FFL yet for some reason they have slowed down his ability to buy in a reasonable time. Instant check is a lie, there is nothing instant about it.

You can get a colonoscopy faster than a state background check.

Nephew spent three hours in the gunstore trying to buy a handgun for home protection and was told he had to wait until Oct 30 to come pick it up. He has bought several guns from FFL yet for some reason they have slowed down his ability to buy in a reasonable time. Instant check is a lie, there is nothing instant about it.

You can get a colonoscopy faster than a state background check.

why the 2 month wait?

why the 2 month wait?

His dad named him an unusual name that isn't recognized easily. They system won't recognize his legal name so after calling instant check they told him to apply for a recognized pin number that is only for him. Of course he has a SS number but those are not secure is what they imply and he has an ODL # too.

Never been in trouble and has no reason for his denial but his name.

Oregon has set up OSP as the background check middle man in this state and added an additional layer of government control and delays. Totally unnecessary IMO since in most states FFL dealers can call directly to NICS but good luck getting it changed in Oregon.

E

His dad named him an unusual name that isn't recognized easily. They system won't recognize his legal name so after calling instant check they told him to apply for a recognized pin number that is only for him. Of course he has a SS number but those are not secure is what they imply and he has an ODL # too.

Never been in trouble and has no reason for his denial but his name.
Someone's feeding you a line. Having an unusual name has nothing to do with anything as long as it's his legal name. If anything it should make the BGC easier as its less likely to be confused or generate a close hit on some dirt bag. Either your nephew didn't understand what he is being told or something else is going on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top