JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know why,but every time I buy a weapon I get delayed,well almost,the last time the computer tried 23 times,the counter guy said it will probably come back as a delay,it didn't,the 24th came back a proceed. So I go to get 2 stripped lowers on Friday and get the delay again,so I go in today and they try again and Again get the delay,but since its been over 3 days they go ahead and give me my 2 lowers. What's the deal on this,anyone have a idea?

Your name must be close or the same as someone why shouldn't have a weapon. Get your NICS ID number and that should stop it. I also always give my SS#, that along with a pretty much one off name works every time for me!

Your name must be close or the same as someone why shouldn't have a weapon. Get your NICS ID number and that should stop it. I also always give my SS#, that along with a pretty much one off name works every time for me!

I'm going to look into doing that.

I used to get delayed from time to time (now I just take my UPIN). There was no discernible pattern to it, so I'm conviced that a roulette wheel of sorts may be a key variable in the equation. It is inconvenient at a minimum, and a downright pain in the arse if you live any distance from your FFL.

I used to get delayed from time to time (now I just take my UPIN). There was no discernible pattern to it, so I'm conviced that a roulette wheel of sorts may be a key variable in the equation. It is inconvenient at a minimum, and a downright pain in the arse if you live any distance from your FFL.

Do you have to get a denial before you can get a upin?

Honestly, I don't know. I requested one after a denial. This link may prove helpful.

<broken link removed>

Longest I've had to wait was 2-3 days, it seems to be a function of 'when' they make the call, later in the day, about ~ 30 mins before the store closes (typically around 5:30 pm), seems to have the best chance for you to walk out with your new toy, but this is only based on observation and personal experience :)

Fortunately, I have only had to wait around for the OSP to actually answer the phone during heavy volume times. Once the OSP actually answered the phone, have my info submitted, I'm on my way with my new kit.

So to answer your question... No

Do you have to get a denial before you can get a upin?

You don't have to wait for a denial to get a UPIN. I got one after getting denied a few years ago. Same name as some yahoo with criminal history. Before that I never got delayed. With my UPIN I was delayed once for 48 hours or so. I have used it about 8 times since getting it.

If you're getting constant delays like I was (which are a pain in the rear because you have to make an extra trip back to pick up your purchase) just get a UPIN. Go to the NICS website and find the instructions there. Good luck! -G

I get delayed every time, plus for the last 3 years NICS doesn't even call back, no matter how long the delay. I called the BATF to ask why and was told "We don't know what the problem is so we can't call back". I don't feel I should be delayed in the first place if they can't figure it out. I have a CWP. I haven't got a UPIN because I don't trust how they handle my records.

I've never been delayed. I have had a TS clearance while in service, have a CPL, a C&R FFL, been a Federal employee and am a disabled vet....(I included all that because some of those things are said to be a cause for delays). But, I don't have a common name, and always include my SSAN on the form. (I figure Uncle Sugar has had it all since 74 anyway)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top