JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A strange thing happened to me a few months ago and thought I'd pass it along. I was driving west on 84 toward Portland. I had the dogs with me so thought I'd pull off at Dalton Point (by Rooster Rock-Multnomah Falls) for a brief stop. Dalton Point is basically a boat launch and parking lot with a few picnic tables and bathroom. Once you pull into the parking lot you can't be seen from the highway. As I turned into the parking lot I noticed an older SUV and a man standing next to it talking into a hand-held radio. He was talking to another guy who was near the end of the parking lot. Guy on the radio was black and the other white. As soon as I pulled in and stopped, they started walking quickly toward me. I was completely isolated and not visible from the highway. I got that "I'm in trouble" feeling as the lot was empty except for the SUV and my truck. I had my flatbed trailer behind my truck. I acted like I was securing the load but at the same time I was looking for a weapon. I happened to have a splitting maul (like an ax) so I grabbed that and slung it over my shoulder. Immediately, both guys turned around, got in their SUV and left.

Maybe they just wanted to say hi or maybe they were set up to rob or kill me, I don't know for sure. Yes, I notified the cops.

I have stopped there for years; on this occasion I felt threatened.

I carried many years ago but gave it up around 1990. I carry now. Had I been armed that day, I think all I would have had to do is show my weapon.

Wow, just WOW! Good on you that nothing serious came of it. Thanks for the reminder to always be aware of your surroundings.

Smart move with the maul. Might've saved you a crease in your noggin, or worse.

Rather than trying to explain any of this to those who think that you and I shouldn't have guns, I say drop 'em off there and continue on your way.

Hmm, walkie talkie, interesting.. I have a theory that teams use them and or cell phones these days at the Multnomah Falls parking lots as car break-ins are just incredibly common there.

I carried many years ago but gave it up around 1990. I carry now. Had I been armed that day, I think all I would have had to do is show my weapon.

I am thankful for you posting this, as once in a blue moon my family and I travel that way.

I want you to know I am glad to hear nothing serious happened and thank goodness you had the splitting maul........... But, just be careful to want to "show" a gun or point it at somebody before someone else begins show signs of an unarguable potential attack or shows their gun first. But only you know in that instance if its warranted to show/ point your gun.

I know of instances where people have had the cards turned on them cause the bad guys call the police first and claim they were the victim. :s0103:

Please don't take what I am saying in the wrong way, just something to consider, that's all.

Good to know your carrying now.:s0151:

- P

Last Edited:
I said showing the weapon but I should have said reaching for a weapon. Like this:

"When you lock eyes with G the very first thing you need to do it indicate you have a weapon. It doesn't matter if you do or not. If you are a woman put your gun hand in your purse and keep it there. If you are a man fan your shirt or coat tail with your gun hand. Make it clear to dude you are mentally prepared to draw and making sure your gun is clear. This will many times result in an about face by dude. It is the single best robbery avoidance tactic IMHO."

If you have your carry permit then you should be able to unholster your pistol and set in the dash.

Accessible, visible and not pointed at anyone. Who knows, maybe you needed to adjust your holster:rolleyes:. Or go from CC to Open carry.

I said showing the weapon but I should have said reaching for a weapon. Like this:

"When you lock eyes with G the very first thing you need to do it indicate you have a weapon. It doesn't matter if you do or not. If you are a woman put your gun hand in your purse and keep it there. If you are a man fan your shirt or coat tail with your gun hand. Make it clear to dude you are mentally prepared to draw and making sure your gun is clear. This will many times result in an about face by dude. It is the single best robbery avoidance tactic IMHO."

Gotcha!!!!:s0165:

All in all a unnerving encounter at best...glad you got away.

It is a fine line between the showing of a weapon , brandishing , and you being perceived as the aggressor...
Just what that line is can vary at times , places and with people.
Please note that I am not criticizing any action of the OP or others that have posted in this thread....

A sense of what is going on around you and a "Alert , don't mess with me" attitude ...that does not seem like a challenge to the bad guy , who feels the need to prove something ....is sometimes the best defense....as shown by what happened to the OP.
Andy

I am thankful for you posting this, as once in a blue moon my family and I travel that way.

I want you to know I am glad to hear nothing serious happened and thank goodness you had the splitting maul........... But, just be careful to want to "show" a gun before someone else begins show signs of an unarguable potential attack or shows their gun first. Brandishing is a criminal offense, and not taken lightly in Oregon or Washington (Liberally controlled states). But only you know in that instance if its warranted to show your gun.

I know of instances where people have had the cards turned on them cause the bad guys call the police first and claim they were the victim. :s0103:

Please don't take what I am saying in the wrong way, just something to consider, that's all.

Good to know your carrying now.:s0151:

- P

FYI- Oregon doesn't have a "brandishing" law. ;)

Wow, glad nothing bad happened, good situational awareness. I've had that 'danger' feeling pulling off the road before, even turning right around and getting the hell out when something just didn't feel right. Pizzes me off that this crap seems to be happening more and more in our area. Growing up in OR, I never felt unsafe, these days, I can see where the politics of this damn state have lead us. It's not the OR I used to love :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top