JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the boot on Government Island in 1975 the food was pretty normal. Not that I remember it much, eating was under stress just as much as all other times were. I think I was the only guy ever that lost weight instead of gaining it in boot. Most kids never slowed down enough to eat until they were that age, but I was 23 when I went in... the oldest one could be and still sign up. They made me Recruit Company Commander of Hotel Company, the honor company that did parade drill and presentations.

At the Air Stations the Flip food was normal too. I really loved Lobster Days but a lot of the guys didn't like lobster... more for me. Airsta San Diego was where the Flips were eating fish-head soup.

I never knew why there were so many Flips in the Coast Guard. But I do think it was a leftover from WWII. At the Airstations they were primarily cooks and storekeepers, but I don't know about on board ships or small boat stations. Perhaps it is a way to emigrate, which is still a thing. I see lots of very attractive Filipinas here.
I went to boot at Alameda. I agree about the stress - and I was 23 too (I think the oldest you could be to enlist was 26 at the time) - most were 17-19, and over the years that was reflected in their behavior/maturity. I recall when I was in ('77-81) about half the USCG was made up of first term enlisted who did not re-enlist (I didn't either).

I'll admit it, I watched me more than my fair share of 90210. Had a crush on "Donna" (Tori Spelling). As I grew up and found out how flawed my choice had been, I refrained from any crushes between 5th and 8th grade.
View attachment 1098913
Tori Spelling? Back then yeah. And I thought we were the only ones that watched that, and melrose place.

I can break that crush on Tori Spelling for you?

00173855.jpg
We love the show "Ridiculousness". A new show "Messyness" has Tori on it. Watch that some and be cured. Well, some guys like that sort of thing, and that's fine too.

I went to boot at Alameda. I agree about the stress - and I was 23 too (I think the oldest you could be to enlist was 26 at the time) - most were 17-19, and over the years that was reflected in their behavior/maturity. I recall when I was in ('77-81) about half the USCG was made up of first term enlisted who did not re-enlist (I didn't either).
Yes, Government Island is at Alameda. (or was it Governors Island? One of them is on the east coast. The dispatcher wanted to send me there... uhm, hell no!!!)

I was a one term enlisted too. They offered me AT1 to stay in, but after 5yrs of BS from above I had enough. Plus I would have had to go to Kodiak, not something I really wanted either. The guys that went there hated it, but couldn't wait to get back... something about the hunting. But at the time the Airsta was H3F and the radar was not good and there was a lot of snow/fog that made getting back to the base alive a real beotch. One of my good buddies died up there in a crash during a rescue a year after I got out.

Yes, Government Island is at Alameda. (or was it Governors Island? One of them is on the east coast. The dispatcher wanted to send me there... uhm, hell no!!!)
Governor's Island is in NY and is where they had USCG boot camp for the east coast from '66 to '82? Then Cape May consolidated all boot camp training for the US from '82 on?

Alameda was called Alameda Island. There is also Treasure Island where we had fire fighting training - it is USN.

I was a one term enlisted too. They offered me AT1 to stay in, but after 5yrs of BS from above I had enough. Plus I would have had to go to Kodiak, not something I really wanted either. The guys that went there hated it, but couldn't wait to get back... something about the hunting. But at the time the Airsta was H3F and the radar was not good and there was a lot of snow/fog that made getting back to the base alive a real beotch. One of my good buddies died up there in a crash during a rescue a year after I got out.
I had enough BS from senior enlisted too, and the immaturity of much of the junior enlisted. I think that was kind a problem at Yaquina Bay at the time, I think/hope they are doing better now.

Besides the BS, I had developed an ear issue after it being injured at Yorktown and I got increasingly seasick, had I stayed in, I would eventually have been transferred to a ship, and that would have made being seasick even more intolerable.

I knew any future I had would be as a civilian, despite my CPO telling me that being a civilian was much harder than being enlisted (he had been in the USCG since he was 17-18 and had no real clue what civilian life was like until he retired - and I told him so, which basically shut him up). The CG was big on re-enlistments back then, but I had a real attitude and didn't mind sharing it with the senior enlisted, so I never got any more BS from them about re-upping. I still hold a grudge about some of the BS they put me thru (they hypocritically accused me of doing something I didn't do, and did not apologize or say they were wrong when they learned they were wrong).

Alameda was called Alameda Island.
Maybe in your time. Not in mine. USCG Recruit Training Center Alameda, was on "Government Island" as it was called historically, near the incorporated city of Alameda. Now it is called "Coast Guard Island", but you will still find it geographically as Government Island on an old map AFAIK. (see below)

"Originally known as Government Island, this artificial island was formed in 1913 by the dredging project that extended the Oakland Estuary to San Leandro Bay. The Coast Guard first came to the island in 1926 when it established "Base 11" under an Executive Order signed in September 1931 that gave title to a 15-acre (6.1 ha) tract for a permanent base. Improvements were started at that time and by 1933 included streets, utilities, spur tracks, a trestle bridge from Oakland, a transformer station, and rebuilding of the existing wharves.

1641151234951.png
If you look at "Alameda Island" just to the NE is "Coast Guard Island" which had nothing to do with Alameda Island. This is the same island that was called Government Island back in the day, and on vintage maps.

I still hold a grudge about some of the BS they put me thru (they hypocritically accused me of doing something I didn't do, and did not apologize or say they were wrong when they learned they were wrong).
Yeah, I was always in trouble for some dang reason. From not being able to fix unfixable hand me down radios with worn out gear trains, to not keeping my hair short enough. The worst was when the Corpsman wrote me a medical pass for 4 days due to a nasty fungal infection and the brass in the office decided to go after me and opened an official investigation. Before I left, I had a heart to heart with one of the Chiefs and told them in no uncertain terms that the USCG was ruining the morale of people just out of A School by assigning them to Galley duty for 3 or more months before letting them go into the AT shop or working in the lowest capacity as a fireman on the flight line. It was stupid. I graduated from AT school with the highest grade point avg they had ever had in the history of the school, but they wouldn't let me work on radios for 6 months after arriving on base. Hey, either they had an open billet when I got assigned or they did not... WTF???

My duty should have been the best time of my life, and in many ways it was... I really loved flying in helos and even AC130. But the rest of the experience ruined it for me. Bitter now.

Also the breakfast spot is at the Come N Go fuel station on 99E and NE Boones Ferry Rd just north of Gervais. I haven't been in for a while but get there early before their chicarrone burritos sell out. I can't even fathom how many burritos the ladies make on the weekday mornings. Always plan an extra 10 to 15 cause the line can be 25 + deep waiting for the register.
Chicharrones are delicious but they will kill you. Nothing but deep fried fat. Artery cloggers.
There is also Treasure Island where we had fire fighting training - it is USN.
The Naval Station was deactivated in '97. The firefighting training facility is still there, but it is operated by the City of SF.

Chicharrones are delicious but they will kill you. Nothing but deep fried fat. Artery cloggers.
The burritos at Come N Go don't contain cracklins or deep fried skins/rinds like you get in a bag off the chip isle. These skins are slow cooked in a green or red chili sauce. They are steamy tender and a bit healthier than deep fried or processed rinds. You gotta try one!

The burritos at Come N Go don't contain cracklins or deep fried skins/rinds like you get in a bag off the chip isle. These skins are slow cooked in a green or red chili sauce. They are steamy tender and a bit healthier than deep fried or processed rinds. You gotta try one!
Jeez, I'd love to try one too!

But it's a bit far from me and all the passes are closed. Even the local roads are closed due to high winds causing drifting snow. :( OPs normal around here this time of year. It's all that Global Warming.

Also the breakfast spot is at the Come N Go fuel station on 99E and NE Boones Ferry Rd just north of Gervais. I haven't been in for a while but get there early before their chicarrone burritos sell out. I can't even fathom how many burritos the ladies make on the weekday mornings. Always plan an extra 10 to 15 cause the line can be 25 + deep waiting for the register.
I haven't been to that place in YEARS, but I can confirm some of the best burritos I've ever had were from there.

... maybe I need to make a stop next time I'm in the area, early enough.

-Robert

Looks like the coffee in Beverly Hills is finally strong enough to wake up a few from their slumber. Funny how lawlessness doesn't mean much to the elite until it happens to them.

"The Beverly Hills City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to support recall efforts aimed at Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón, whose "criminal justice reform" efforts coincide with a violent crime wave.

Left-wing billionaire George Soros poured millions of dollars into Gascón's 2020 campaign, one of many prosecutorial races in which Soros backed left-wing activists, often against incumbent Democrats with more traditional law-and-order policies. ..." more at link

Deadbeat DA's need to be recalled everywhere, and pro law DA's need better backing.

Speaking of Beverly Hills. I had the opportunity to spend a few nights there many years ago. I believe 1984. Had a cousin that was my age roughly and we were traveling through on a long road trip. Boy we partied, so hard that I remebr how terrible I felt the next morning. I don't know about now, but back then there were some really, really crappy parts of "Beverly" Hills". I don't imagine that got better over all these years. So all the scum dog criminals only have to drive a short ways to get to them rich elite folks.
LOL. Suck it elite's!

"Gun control in this place called America was created to stop melanated beings from having the means to exercise their human right," political activist Maj Toure told Fox News Digital.
What is this guy saying exactly? Is he confusing his HUMAN right (to self defense) with that of a LEGAL RIGHT (to own guns) ?

Because if this is the case NO ONE is denying him of his 'human right' (to self defense) - this is alienable, its a basic right but I somehow read this as him 'convoluting' the two issues.

"" 'Oh, we're wealthy, we can just go buy [guns],'" Toure added. "But yet and still, the areas that have the most crime have the most restrictive gun laws."
Again he is confusing issues. If a wealthy person can go buy a gun in the area (regardless of the crime rate) then he can as well - providing he is legally able to do so - and this seems to be the 'crux' of his beeotch - IF I am reading it correctly.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads