JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about the 6.5 PRC?
If the Creedmoor is as good as its popularity implies, it seems like the PRC would be a logical step up for a bit more oomph.

I invited a friend over to show him how to reload ammo. Cleaned all his brass, lubed and resized/decapped, get ready to trim.....

6.5s have been so unpopular in the US that case trimmers don't come with 6.5 pilots. Neither my Lyman or RCBS trimmers came with one. Had to order one. Now, if it were a .257, .277, .284 bore....

Nope, just proof that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't do anything that hasn't been done with the same bullet since 1891.

I get it. It is the reason I simply can't get excited about any new rifle cartridge. Whatever it is, it has been done, probably to death, in the last hundred years, give or take. I'd wager any new whiz-bang rifle cartridge coming out has been already been explored; as in probably before, during, or slightly after, The Big One. (Whatever; this is, admittedly, coming from a decidedly wacky individual who thinks the .30/30 WCF is just dandy for most tasks. ¡Salud! :p)

I invited a friend over to show him how to reload ammo. Cleaned all his brass, lubed and resized/decapped, get ready to trim.....

6.5s have been so unpopular in the US that case trimmers don't come with 6.5 pilots. Neither my Lyman or RCBS trimmers came with one. Had to order one. Now, if it were a .257, .277, .284 bore....

yet Winchester recently released an new powder aimed squarely at the 6.5's.

When I first started with 260 choices were slim for everything.
6.5 Creedmoor was a blessing for 260, more bullets, powders, cases, and factory ammunition choices now for 260 than ever before.

a lot of my shooting friends have been impressed at what my little 260 could do.
Now that longer OAL AI mags are common 6.5CM lots a bit of its edge in bolt guns as a 260 with a bit extra freebore is a serious contender.
147's at 2800 fps at realistic pressures with excellent brass life.

yet Winchester recently released an new powder aimed squarely at the 6.5's.

When I first started with 260 choices were slim for everything.
6.5 Creedmoor was a blessing for 260, more bullets, powders, cases, and factory ammunition choices now for 260 than ever before.

a lot of my shooting friends have been impressed at what my little 260 could do.
Now that longer OAL AI mags are common 6.5CM lots a bit of its edge in bolt guns as a 260 with a bit extra freebore is a serious contender.
147's at 2800 fps at realistic pressures with excellent brass life.

The 260 is a COOL cartridge. I never understood why rifle manufacturers can't make a 3 inch magazine box as standard for short actions. We're only talking .15 inches.

I don't get the snarky thread. What exactly is there to complain about? The 6.5 CM was a blessing for the shooting sports and especially true for reloaders.

True, cartridges that use a .264 bullet have been around for ages. However, thanks to the brilliant marketing of the 6.5 CM, we now have access to many new bullet designs, powders that are engineered for optimal performance, and many different platforms to launch from.

Pick whatever the hell .264 flavor you want. However, there's no denying the pluses that the 6.5 CM has bring to the table.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is all the rage, but what if you could gain a couple hundred feet per second across the bullet spectrum while not having to use a magnum and still being able to use light and trim hunting rifles? What if brass was widely available? This new cartridge easily eclipses the creedmoor.

The 6.5 Swedemoor. Look at this hotrod! I have a feeling it will soon have quite the following! I bet this revolutionary case design with more taper will feed so smooth! It dwarfs the creedmoor!

View attachment 612500

Theres one better... the Apollo Sweedmore!

I don't get the snarky thread. What exactly is there to complain about? The 6.5 CM was a blessing for the shooting sports and especially true for reloaders.

True, cartridges that use a .264 bullet have been around for ages. However, thanks to the brilliant marketing of the 6.5 CM, we now have access to many new bullet designs, powders that are engineered for optimal performance, and many different platforms to launch from.

Pick whatever the hell .264 flavor you want. However, there's no denying the pluses that the 6.5 CM has bring to the table.

Because headstamps dont matter one bit, yet the legion of creedtards drone on and on about the virtues of everything that isn't important. The bullet design, twist rate, magazine length in relation to the throat, thats what matters and no headstamp effected any of those things for people that know anything about the subject.

The only thing I give credit to the 6.5 CM is the standard twist is 1 in 8 and it gives a bit more room in a goatphuq'd 2.85 magazine box, assuming no crazy freebore.

Then again, people have been housing 6.5-284s in long actions for ages.

The 6.5 bore diameter isn't magic either. Bullets can be made with equal BC in any diameter. Whether the shooter builds an appropriate rifle or not is another issue.

Last Edited:
I had nothing to do with the "bandwagon"
In checking the ammo site I order from there was 11 7mm-08 factory ammo listings
(Some May be 20 rnds,some may be 200 of the same ammo)
6.5 creedmore(Disney) 45 listings. 45!

Ordered a superlite brand that shall not be voiced or written
Lightweight. Ammo shells of almost every bullet brand made.

Edit; I preferred the 7mm-08 had it had the ammo selection.

I get it. It is the reason I simply can't get excited about any new rifle cartridge. Whatever it is, it has been done, probably to death, in the last hundred years, give or take. I'd wager any new whiz-bang rifle cartridge coming out has been already been explored; as in probably before, during, or slightly after, The Big One. (Whatever; this is, admittedly, coming from a decidedly wacky individual who thinks the .30/30 WCF is just dandy for most tasks. ¡Salud! :p)

Pretty much how I feel.

I have two 6.5 Swede rifles and knew immediately what the OP was on about.

Niche calibers come and go. I don't tend to get crazy on the band wagon. I skipped the 6.8, 6.5 Creedmore, .327, .45 GAP, and the rest... I don't think I own any calibers invented in the last 2 decades, with the exception of a .357 Sig barrel for a Glock and a 7mm WSM Savage with ammo and scope, both of which I got for a song (not because I was necessarily needing one). And I don't go out looking to get them because odds are it's mostly marketing nonsense and real-world performance isn't all that. Any possible minor improvement in ballistics is long lost in massive markup on ammunition costs versus more common stuff.

I like tried and true, mass produced, low costs generally found in common calibers. Bonus if they are military surplus and widely produced or really popular hunting and SD calibers.

I like what has happened in the 6.5mm caliber range lately. Makes for a much better selection on bullets for my old Swede.
It was a boon for 260 as well
Many more powder, bullet and brass options now than when I first started shooting it.
Plus the newer long COAL AI type mags that ease the length problems original AICS presented

Independent of this thread, I (and probably a whole host of others that like the Swede)was with buddies and batting around the "Swedemore" idea as applied not only to our Swede guns, but others in the 6.5 diameter family that we either own or heard about:

My .264 Winchester Magnum became the 6.5 Exceedmore.

The 26 Nosler became the 6.5 Makesyableedmore.

The 6.5-06 became the 6.5 Dontneedmore.

And in a recent magazine article the scribe was visiting a barrel maker and writing up the company (Bergara, I think?). Magazine guy asks the company owner, "What do you think of the 6.5 Creedmoor?"

Answer: "It's a great cartridge...but I sure am sick and tired of hearing about it."

I've adopted that as my "default" reply when someone asks me about it.

Last Edited:
Man I'm still waiting for some idiot to realize 22-250 can kill anything if they made proper twist rates.

Nope, just proof that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't do anything that hasn't been done with the same bullet since 1891.

It SHO-NUFF do. It proves you don't know what your talking about. Look at the cases in the pic you posted. If you can't see how well thought out the CM case vs the antique swed case you shouldn't make posts of how the CM falls short.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads