Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Better Rifle Scope Or Better Binoculars?

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by Rant, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

We all want a good scope to hold zero and what will you pay for it, then we want our binoculars to be clear and see those points on an Elk. They both go hand and hand when your hunting > whats your chose ?

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Back a ways I liked Bausch& Lomb for both binoculars and rifle scopes. Then Bushnell bought them out and....well, they suck so bad!
    So, these days I like Vortex as an excellent quality for the money product. IMANSHO* spending more for the glass than the firearm is lunacy!:D Unless I'm building a rifle to go back in time and shoot Hitler! And, I know I can nail Hitler with a Vortex or Leupold!

* In My Apparently Not So Humble Opinion ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Velzey and Brutus57 like this.
  3. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

you need good optics whether scope or Nocs'

Ura-Ki and Sgt Nambu like this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

That's true, I just don't see spending $$$$$$ for wonderful glass! I think the most expensive optics are more useful for chest puffing and ego!

bbbass, Velzey and Brutus57 like this.
  5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I just use a pair of Leupold 10x bino's. Lifetime warranty and I have used it lol. Bought them on sale at Fishermans.
    Their are some cheaper scopes that have great optics and hold their zero. Nothing worse than taking a spill and your bump your rifle and it's 2' off.
    I know some folks put NightForce on their AR's.. I have some of the cheapest scopes on the AR.. No recoil

Brutus57 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  6. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Active Member

Scope. No question in my mind.

7. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

Only one of my rifles has a scope. It is a Leupold 4x on a a Remington 511.
    None of my other guns have optics , only iron sights.
    I understand the reasons for a good scope , I just don't use one very often.
    For how and what I shoot , this seems to work out okay.

I would love to have a good full sized pair of field glasses , saving my pennies as I type.
    Andy

8. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Coming from a guy who'll spend no less than $700 for a scope, and started with cheap scopes, that statement isn't something I'd take to heart.

The reason for the high price are often good glass, features, ruggedness, and a few other things.

9. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Only a rich man can afford to buy a cheap scope....

Because you do it over and over again.

Get something that doesn't suck!

K-22, Dungannon and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Well where does that come from, I've had a lot of scopes and binos and never had to replace one! Of course I buy mid level scopes, not cheap ones. As I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't have a Bushnell in my rump!:D

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Good optics are a must have. Price isn't the main thing I consider when I am looking for an optic. I have very good eye sight thanks to modern science, I payed a fortune to be able to see as well as I should. I think that whet ever I put in front of my eyes should be at least equal to that standard! I am not going to make recommendations on brand or quality of a particular optic, But I am going to say that this is one area you definitely get what you pay for! I choose to have both good field glass and a good rifle scope for the times when I wish to use one over good irons! It comes down to being able to hit what you can see, and the better you can see the better you can hit. I use Night Force optics on a few rifles and I use Stiener 8X field glasses! BTW, all of my scoped rifles also have good irons! I come from the old school that optics can fail, no matter how good they are! You drop a good scope and break a lens or seal and you go home empty handed! I had that happen on a hunt in Alaska, A Cousin broke his Leupold scope and had to borrow one of my rifles so he could continue to hunt! That trip cost each of us several thousand dollars, far more then the cost of a good rifle and scope! Just my thoughts.

Brutus57 likes this.
  12. Boboclown

Haven't looked through a Bushnell Elite Tactical have you? o_O Its a pretty good scope. Not as good as my SWFA SS HD, but still good.

13. Sgt Nambu

You are correct! Bushnell lost me with decades of shoddy krap! If they're good now, fine! They have too much competition to even be checked out by this old man! Still hate 'em! LOL!!!:)

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I'm much the same with Pentax optics! Once there way a time when they could give all others a serious run for the money, now They are just like all the other krap out there. Same thing with RedField really.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  15. Boboclown

No clue bout cheaper Bushnells, but their more expensive scopes are actually good. Least its not like a certain scope I saw at a gun show (where good scopes are the last thing you'd see).

16. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

I've always bought the really cheap stuff. And, I've never been disappointed by any of them. Lots of Bushnell, a Simmons spotting scope. A 6X24 rifle scope by Field And Stream. $90 dollars. Works fine. Just got my first red dot for my AR. Less than $100 bucks. Holds zero, doesn't wander. And, I can swap it onto my lever action for deer season. One scope... two rifles.

17. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

I can't see for sh*t anyway, so it don't matter! o_O

18. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

For hunting a I favor a premium pair of binos over a premium rifle scope. I hunt open country in Eastern Oregon and will spend hours and hours looking through my binos finding animals and assessing horns. Well, maybe not so much assessing horns lately. I might look through my scope for all of a couple minutes during a hunting trip. As long as the scope can see at dawn and dusk and reasonably hold zero to maintain MOA accuracy then I'm fine with most mid level hunting rifle scopes.

Because I had it, I put a Nightforce 15-55x Competition scope on my Remington .223 when I went sage rat hunting a few weeks ago. I've put my Sightron SII 6-24x back on for my return hunting trip in late May. There is such a thing of too much scope and more clarity/sharpness then you actually need.

I'm not made of money, so I seek out value. I recently bought a Cabelas brand Meopta made Instinct 8x-32mm bino and I'm delighted with these. I can look through them for hours and never experience eye fatigue. I used them sage rat hunting spotting for my buddies and I swear I could see the fleas on the rats. These are premium level binos at a mid level price since I caught them on a big time xmas sale.

My big game hunting scopes are not quite so high end. One has a Leupold Century Edition 3-9x, which is about a VX-2 level scope, and on the other a Nikon Monarch 5-20x. Both decent scopes but not premium by any means.

orygun and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I always use good scopes. But even with a good scope cranked up to 9x, you will miss details with one eye that you would have seen with both eyes and less power thru decent binoculars.
    Case in point;
    We were hunting spike elk near Baker on private land. I had just watched a big herd (100+) come around a hill a little over a quarter of a mile away. Couldn't shoot because other hunters were just above them. As the herd passed, one of the other hunters shot a spike which caused the herd to split. A group of cows came in my direction and stopped near a fence about 175 yards from me. I had my scope (Leupold VX-R) at 9x and checked the heads. No antlers. Too bad as I was in a great position and could have easily taken one.
    After the group of cows milled around for a few minutes, a shot rang out and the bullet hit the ground, missing whatever cow someone was shooting at. I assumed it was the landowner who I knew held a LOP tag. The cows hopped the fence and left the area.
    A little while later we went to "The hanging tree" to chat with the successful hunter and was quizzed as to why I didn't shoot the spike before a shot was taken, and missed, by another hunter from 420 yards... What spike? Yup, one of the cows was a spike with antlers about the length of his ears.
    Later in the day we found that bunch of "cows" bedded down in the sagebrush on property we could not hunt. They were a little farther away than I'd seen them earlier and when I looked thru my old $20 Bushnell 8x binos, it was very easy to pick out that spike.
    Before the next hunting season I bought a good set of binos and will never hunt without them again.
    FYI, I bought a set of smaller 10x Redfield binos on sale at Bi-Mart for a bout $100. Liked them so much I bought a pair for the wife. They are no Steiners, but are far better than many others than I looked thru. These days if you don't catch a sale, you'll spend about $200 on a similar pair.
    It's much better to look over an area with both eyes. Less strain on your eyeballs and you'll be able to pick out little things that you would otherwise miss.

bsa1917hunter, Dungannon and bbbass like this.
  20. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I have a quality rifle scope and a cheap pair of binos. I could probably buy 15 pairs of the binos for the cost of the scope.

Binos will be abused more. So far they have lasted me 6 years.

It will remain that way.

bbbass likes this.