JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Better for overall protection 870 or Ar-15

• Remington 870 Express

Votes: 106 61.6%
  • Ar-15 it doesnt matter the make

Votes: 66 38.4%

• Total voters
retiredgal makes a very good case for the Mini-14, especially where the issue of "overall protection" comes up. I got rid of mine after two years of extreme effort to make it shoot as accurately as a bolt .223. However, I learned something in the "failure": It is a HELLUVA lot better gun for handiness and practicality (and lack of maintenance) than the AR gun I finally got that shoots so well.

The mini-14 is more like a "real gun": it fits in a gun rack in a truck (against other guns). The AR wants all the space, allowing for no other gun, even in a rack that has two slots. The mini sits next to the bed (if you disreagard everything said about a shotgun being better) in a slot that would likewise hold a .22.

Ruger came out with the Ranch Rifle, because that is exactly what the original mini was good for in working-class America. Joe Rancher in Montana wants a very small, very compact, very rugged rifle that fits in his truck rack like a 10-22, but can reach and bust a coyote at 150yards. The Mini is BETTER than an AR for close-hand, easy storage, minimal maintenance "at the ready" gun.

And I sold mine and have an AR.

It is a HELLUVA lot better gun for handiness and practicality (and lack of maintenance) than the AR gun I finally got that shoots so well.

I'm curious Spitpatch, what was your personal motivation to go the AR route? I ask because I've considered it but can't think of a good reason to do so. I have a new accurate Mini-14 for out to 150 yards and an old commercial FN bolt action in 30-06 that can consistantly put 3 shots into 1/2" at a hundred yards. I've dropped deer out to and past 400 yards with a single shot on more than one occassion. What more can an AR bring to the table?

The new Mini-14s are more expensive and do prefer the Ruger mags which cost more than typical AR-Mags, but I also find them an attractive choice. Reliable, simple, no tools takedown and quite accurate out of the box. I also really like a wood stock and find the Mini-14 looks less threatening but can deliver the goods when needed.

Try the John Mason mags.. I sold them for years and use them, myself.. less than half the current cost of ruger mags and made in the USA. My minis have Choate folders and I am working on getting holo sights mounted on my daily gun, which is a 2-3 MOA rifle. The other mini is a 1 MOA safe queen with a scope mounted. Both are stainless, perfect for the NW outdoors. The new Rugers are less of a cr@p shoot accuracy wise since they have the new heavier profile barrels

I'm curious Spitpatch, what was your personal motivation to go the AR route? I ask because I've considered it but can't think of a good reason to do so. I have a new accurate Mini-14 for out to 150 yards and an old commercial FN bolt action in 30-06 that can consistantly put 3 shots into 1/2" at a hundred yards. I've dropped deer out to and past 400 yards with a single shot on more than one occassion. What more can an AR bring to the table?

Excellent accuracy is pretty easy to get with a custom AR15.. also some folks (like my wife) need a light weight carbine and the mini is not light. I just built her one (AR15 carbine) but in the future I am going to buy her a Bushy carbon fiber which is even lighter. One other advantage the mini has is the ease of clearing a jammed or stovepipe round if that ever happens. Disadvantage of the mini for CQC? Ease (not) of optics mounting, and the older mins have atrocious iron sights.. I installed Choate M14 style sights W-flashhiders but they are nothing to write home about, either

Although I the average off the shelf AR wont pull consistent 0.5" groups, I would guess that most will fall in between 1.25" and 0.75".

My question is what do you all find maintenance intensive about an AR? After 8 years in the Army I only had 1 maintenance problem, a worn out sear.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Trailboss, I discovered after two years of doing everything I could for my Mini-14, that it just was not going to be what I wanted it to be for accuracy. I wanted a semi-auto .223 that is portable, handy, and very accurate to even 300 yards. (Coyote hunting, primarily, lately on ATV). The Mini just would not shoot very well. This experience has been shared by countless others. I recently had a chance to wring out a newer Mini (Stainless Ranch Rifle), and though there has been some improvement in the accuracy department, these have not been nearly as precise a gun as a garden-variety AR15. I now have a DPMS AP4 that floored me with its accuracy right out of the box (with cheapie FMJ ammo). Now with a trigger, handloads and good optics, it rivals my fat-barreled bolt guns for accuracy.

I still think the Mini is a better gun if one considers handiness, ruggedness and such, and it is every bit as accurate as it needs to be for its purposes.

I respect all your opinions and evaluations of the mini, and no argyment from me on it's lack of exxtreme accuracy far out. I have it for fun and a survival weapon in case of civil unrest with several 30 rd. banana mags if needed in a confrontation. Of course in close I have my 12 Chas. Daily 12 ga. defense model, plus others. What?> Me be afraid ? Don't think so. Best the bad guys go elsewhere for victims?

Trailboss, I discovered after two years of doing everything I could for my Mini-14, that it just was not going to be what I wanted it to be for accuracy. I wanted a semi-auto .223 that is portable, handy, and very accurate to even 300 yards. (Coyote hunting, primarily, lately on ATV). The Mini just would not shoot very well. This experience has been shared by countless others. I recently had a chance to wring out a newer Mini (Stainless Ranch Rifle), and though there has been some improvement in the accuracy department, these have not been nearly as precise a gun as a garden-variety AR15. I now have a DPMS AP4 that floored me with its accuracy right out of the box (with cheapie FMJ ammo). Now with a trigger, handloads and good optics, it rivals my fat-barreled bolt guns for accuracy.

I still think the Mini is a better gun if one considers handiness, ruggedness and such, and it is every bit as accurate as it needs to be for its purposes.

Accuracy Systems can make a mini 14 everything you could dream of. One day I hope to send my daily truck gun mini in for a custom 16 inch fluted heavy stainless match barrel install. Think mini 14 SOCOM. It's just a matter of $$

Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top