JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Better for overall protection 870 or Ar-15

• Remington 870 Express

Votes: 106 61.6%
  • Ar-15 it doesnt matter the make

Votes: 66 38.4%

• Total voters
Hey, I agree wholeheartedly. I could sure see cutting a Wingmaster down (or changing barrels) and adding an extension tube, or getting an 870 Police, etc. Those are gorgeous and high quality guns.

In this case the OP started a poll and asked a question, giving us two choices. All chatter outside of that is off topic and even thread jacking.

He wanted to know if we could choose just one gun, either an 870 Express or an AR-15, what percentage of us would chose one or the other.

It's his thread. Why is it just killing some people to simply answer his question?

I voted AR and stated AR. Others can vote 870 Express. How simple is that? :)

Sorry, in my defense of the 870, I forgot to state that between the two, the 870 and the AR-15, the 870 is hands down my choice. Self defense really takes place at close range, and the sound of racking the slide, together with the giant hole the bad guy (or guys) would be looking at, not to mention the number of projectiles it will throw, make it the #1 choice for a self defense situation.

What if you then come up against roving bands or gangs? Some of us think that's possible, even if not all think it's probable.

But. . .but. . .what if there are THIRTY-TWO of them boss? Belt fed? I know, "improbableler."

I can only guess in my space cadet way that many roving band members or gangsters must be 'leet warriors who are going to stick it out for the entire pump gun volley or not be able gun down the lone wolf as he burns through his AR mag and throws up a small bore wall of lead 55 grains at a time.

Now a word from my space cadet master:

Too many movies has this one seen.

I see. You are accusing the originator of this thread of making a "short bus poll."

Also, you want to insult everyone here who has an 870 Express by calling it the "craptastic version of the Wingmaster?"

Don't you think you're a little new here to start insulting people, insulting their guns, insulting and disrespecting their threads, hijacking their threads, and generally trying to run the place? :)

I'm sorry, was I trying to run the place by running afoul of your rules of proper thread procedure?

I was just trying to get a good idea on were to spend my money first. I would like to have both!! But I think an 870 will be the first purchase I make. I only used these 2 guns in the poll because they are the only guns I will be buying right now.

I was just trying to get a good idea on were to spend my money first. I would like to have both!! But I think an 870 will be the first purchase I make. I only used these 2 guns in the poll because they are the only guns I will be buying right now.

You did a good thing asking your question. We all have different needs and you rightly wanted some advice for your personal situation.

My apologies for those who simply wouldn't help you by answering your question. :s0155:

Overall, the AR.

While I think its safe to say that 12ga ammo would be easier to come by in an apocalyptic situation, the AR is a versatile killing platform. Plus, you can always attach a shotgun to the bottom of it :)

The way the question is phrased makes me lean towards the AR. If it was just home defense, then I would lean towards the shotty. But without knowing exactly what ''protection'' means, I would probably lean towards the AR as far as all around use.

The best defense is a better offense. The military is where I take my tested firearm info from. Not a lot of shotguns being used. With that said it still where the round ends up. With a shotgun you can spray a larger patern (messs up more of you home). At best have eight rounds to hit the target. With an AR you put a smaller leathal hole in the tagrget and have a 30 round capacity and can reload (if needed) far faster.

Good choice. A 18" 870 would be a better HD weapon, loaded with appropriate ammo. The AR makes a better range toy, but in the end it's just another bullet hose.

Hey Gunner3456,
Thanks for your comments, and not letting the string stray.
I love the power of a shotgun... but as the question was put "Overall" protection the AR wins hands down. I can load frangibles in CQB to spare the neighbors, Green tips if being vehicle pursued, Hornady MLE for other, or standard 55gr. for spray & pray. Point is loading & Reloading from a selection of ready mags is quick, very quick. I've yet to meet anyone who owns an AR with only one mag. A shotty is simply too range limited, and takes too long to reload for multiple targets.... And lets NOT forget the times you'll need a "William Tell" shot and don't want to kill a loved one with a 10 ft. wide shotgun blast pattern. Until lasers came out the average police shoot out was 90% misses under stress. Don't you think it might be a little stressful to try and feed a slug in for that one shot you don't want pattern spread killing the wrong person? Shotties are good but overall an AR type (Specially the new cleaner "non authentic" Piston models) are far more versatile.
Just my .02
Accurateone

I agree with Boats on one thing, and that is the Mossberg is more user friendly over the Remington. I saw it over and over again in instructor school. But common sense says the AR is more versatile. And no Boats, you dont need a support system to keep an AR in action.
That is an assumption made by the ignorant.

Bruce.

I have killed deer at 40 yards with 00 buck shot but given the choice I would chose an AR-15. Good to 400 meters with one shot or several shots at close range. Change the mag when you have a break and you have 30 more if needed. Bang, bang, bang at short range is just as good as BOOM. BOOM at 200 yards just gives your position away. Besides in a true SHTF situation there will be 5.56 all over.

The deer was with an old Remington model 11 with "modified" choke. It seems to be a very tight modified as it patterns 26" at 50 yards with 00 buckshot. I missed a coyote at 10 yards before I checked it.

I agree with Boats on one thing, and that is the Mossberg is more user friendly over the Remington. I saw it over and over again in instructor school. But common sense says the AR is more versatile. And no Boats, you dont need a support system to keep an AR in action.
That is an assumption made by the ignorant.

Bruce.

I didn't say a "support system was necessary to keep an AR in action."

What I was getting at is that for a civilian without an armorer, or without cleaning picks, or without a spare parts bin, there are better 'individual" choices out there for a SHTF rifle than the high maintenance AR. There is no serious argument to be made that a DI AR is more maintenance intensive than just about any piston driven semi-auto, even when the piston is in an AR upper.

I was also getting at the fact that the diminutive 5.56 cartridge was adopted for a mutually supporting infantryman's role, not necessarily what one would choose if on his own. In the real world, the AR is decontextualized from its military role and despite its mass appeal, is not the wonder rifle many of its adherents view it as when not massed in a squad.

I have owned them in the past, but I flipped mine during the Great Obama Panic. I can readily think of at least seven other rifles I'd rather have around, most shooting a more capable round, all requiring a less demanding cleaning regimen for proper function.

I believe that if the SHTF and stays that way for a long time, that much of the "new" ammo coming into the area which can be scrounged will be 5.56. I don't see much AK ammo or other rifle ammo showing up. I intend to have "something" which can use 5.56 and I don't mean .223 rifles.

If someone knows better, please speak up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top