JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like the focus should be on why so many black men are in jail, why there is so much black on black crime, drug use etc. Higher level societal issues rather than focusing on rare situations like Jacob Blake. Unfortunately cell phone cameras aren't capturing that 10,000 foot view.
The way globalization and automation are going, I don't have high hopes for training many of these people so they can get jobs.
It reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut book from the 1950s called Player Piano.
Society had reached a level of automation where a large segment was not needed to work, and was NEVER going to be needed to work. Predictions I'm reading now are that the current economic trends are different and the economy is unlikely to grow enough to employ those being displaced. ( in "new" fields)
This leads to segments of the population being on permanent government income. How you keep people in such a state from spiraling into drug abuse would be a big challenge --- apparently they did it on Star Trek :)
The same people who are demanding open immigration and free citizenship and healthcare for everyone, raising corporate and business taxes over 50%, forcing many of our companies to go overseas are now complaining they cannot get any work? Well, I still think its extreme, because if they got money for expensive drugs and can feed an expensive drug habit, they may have money to also educate themselves and develop some hirable skill.

It sounds like an excuse.. If they seriously think there is no work available, maybe we can toss out all these illegals I see who work a good number of the lower pay job in our societies and replace it with these supposedly disenfranchised people who have no means to work a job. It sounds a little simpler than Star Trek to me... Maybe we should stop over-regulating our businesses, constantly raising taxes and mismanaging our budgets. A country that has so much money to play with is always somehow deeply in debt. It seems like the ANti-Gunner states are the worst in this respect.. Look at California, they cannot balance a budget despite having the highest GDP and highest taxes in the country. They also have millions of illegal aliens in their state and their taxes actually pay for many benefits , including health care for these illegal residents.

I find it ironic same people who want everyone to live on welfare want every person around the globe to have free citizenship and strain our social and economic system even more. The truth is that many Americans don't want to work.. They want free stuff and government handouts. Politicians want a vote..

Last Edited:
why so many black men are in jail,

Because they are criminals that break the laws.

why there is so much black on black crime,

Because of a culture that needs fixing. Now don't think I'm painting an entire ethnicity, I just mean the thug culture.

BTW, Universal Basic Income is not the answer to poverty. Did we learn nothing from the soul-robbing and family destruction that is the welfare state???

You're ignoring a few things. If, as many articles suggest, we're now in a new era of automation, the old solutions won't work.
Also the changing demographics. "Get a job and a haircut" ( applying 1950s mentality to today's problems) is going to get clobbered at the ballot box.
I don't have to come down on it one way or another, but platitudes about how you want things to be won't go very far.

to answer the thread, net guns. NET GUNS. Seriously.

Also, I love how this has devolved into a defend the police thread. Seeing as how police are supposed to uphold the law, comparing civilian rates of murder to rates of police killings seems disingenuous, and apples to oranges, but folks have to float their boats somehow.

Even good cops can use better tools to do a more effective job.

to answer the thread, net guns. NET GUNS. Seriously.

Also, I love how this has devolved into a defend the police thread. Seeing as how police are supposed to uphold the law, comparing civilian rates of murder to rates of police killings seems disingenuous, and apples to oranges, but folks have to float their boats somehow.

Even good cops can use better tools to do a more effective job.
YES !!! Net gun, Bolo Wrap. Somebody is going to say it could hit a person in the eyes. Watch Blake getting seven bullets in the back then tell me how I should really worry about a possible downside to net guns.

YES !!! Net gun, Bolo Wrap. Somebody is going to say it could hit a person in the eyes. Watch Blake getting seven bullets in the back then tell me how I should really worry about a possible downside to net guns.
So the add on giant bullet that goes on a real gun...terrible concept. You are using a lethal weapon and converting it to a less lethal weapon. What if it falls off? (It will at some point in time.) Can it cause a malfunction of the firearm? (Less intrusive things often do.) Department go to great pains to separate lethal from less/less than lethal tools. I see this as a nightmare.

Bolo wrap. It worked great...on the guy in a suit standing perfectly still with his legs together with his arms at his sides. If an officer has this situation he will not need it. (I know they used it for real, once.)

Two issues that the media and most folks do not understand. The encounters were tools like this thread is discussing (again, love the dialog in this thread) are chaotic, violent (because of the suspect's actions) and involve lots of movement. Not always, but very often. Taser barbs miss. Drive stun taser use does not cause NMI and actually disable, it is only pain compliance so it is not really "taser" use in the classic sense, pepper spray ends up in the other officer's eyes or is not effective against some folks.

During this time when the tools are ineffective it often places the officer at a disadvantage and allows for the suspect to close the distance, reducing options. The suspect now controls the grappling narrative, not a good position for the officers. I'm all for looking into new technology and methods but many look good on paper and in the lab, but not so much in the dark alley at 2am with a hostile tweeker.

But I'll admit, that bolo thing would be a hoot to use!!!:D

You're ignoring a few things. If, as many articles suggest, we're now in a new era of automation, the old solutions won't work.
Also the changing demographics. "Get a job and a haircut" ( applying 1950s mentality to today's problems) is going to get clobbered at the ballot box.
I don't have to come down on it one way or another, but platitudes about how you want things to be won't go very far.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Automation is nothing new. If you want the final word on it, go back to reading The Celestine Prophecy.

Platitudes... hurts when it's true eh? IMO most saying have an element of the truth behind them. It's real easy to see how the New Deal and the Great Society reforms have kept minorities on the plantation. Platitudes... no, that would be mentioning Star Trek.

"Get a job and a haircut".... normal people want to work. That is why the Orange Man got extra support from minority communities that were doing so well under his admin until Covid. What doesn't work well is repeating the same mistakes over and over and over, and expecting different results... how's that for a "platitude" for you.

This is just one article illustrating that automation and artificial intelligence are really different this time.... in the past despite people crying wolf the economy grew enough to absorb those that were being displaced that's not expected now...

This is just one article illustrating that automation and artificial intelligence are really different this time.... in the past despite people crying wolf the economy grew enough to absorb those that were being displaced that's not expected now...

The constant refrain of alarmists and doomsayers is that this that or the other is different this time. Why are people along the lines of the Brookings institute always trying to scare the crap out of people? Maybe it has something to do with effecting societal change???

"The economy will never recover!" "Those jobs will never come back!" Proven to be wrong.

The Population Bomb, we are all gonna die. Oh no! Run for your lives!!! Proven to be wrong.

Marxism... "We can do it right because we are smarter than anybody else has ever been". Proven to be wrong.

Brookings Institute is an Anti-gunner think tank that has been proven to be wrong time after time. Maybe try The Competive Enterprise Institute for a more unbiased read on reality.

That said, I would agree that AI has the potential to be destructive. I've read comments from AI scientists that wouldn't mind at all if AI completely replaced humans on this planet. But will it replace workers in the near future? It sometimes does, but as I said, people want to work, people are resourceful, there is always a way if creative minds focus on positive endeavor rather than doomsday predictions.

Glass half full people can do. Glass half empty people wallow in powerlessness and whine their lives away while blaming others and saying it is all out of their control. What kind of people are we going to be???

Are you one of those same guys crying out for open immigration, citizenship and health care for all? :rolleyes: Then you complain about how AI/Automation is turning minorities into drug addicts and making them abandon their kids because they no longer can find work.

BTW, I spent half a year in poor, struggling third world countries.. Somehow, those poor starving people were not doing drugs (They couldn't afford them, first of all) and most of them did not abandon their kids. I was in Uganda, Tanzania and Ghana. You want somebody to explain to you about life in poor, developing countries I can do so. What your average American dope fiend goes through in a week is equivalent to what many poor African farmers make in a year.

BTW, these people could all get together, raise their own food, build their own homes and become self-sufficient. They have more freedom than you can even believe. But, they rather hang out in the hood with their friends, do drugs, get drunk all day, party and not do anything productive and then they blame the rest of the world for their failures. Somehow, robbing, stealing and getting high is all the fault of society and these people have no personal responsibility.

Of course, they claim the violence and poverty in black neighborhoods is all the result of white racism and police brutality. Dang it.. I should have known that? God forbid anyone takes responsibility for any of the wrongs that may come from their own groups of people. How is it that immigrants from poor countries manage to do pretty well in this country. Ethiopian people are black and come from a very poor country and yet many have become extremely successful here and there is a low incarceration rate and murder rate for Ethiopians in this country. Yet, somehow they are black skin people who come from a poor background. Many even came here as refugees. The same can be said about Indian immigrants in our country. Is there such a thing as perhaps collective responsibility for one groups struggle and not just blaming everyone else for their problems?

I say giving police more science fiction style, non-lethal weapons is fine and dandy, but probably rather impractical for quite some time.. Until we can create stun guns that effectively take down the 300lb drugged out guy without just stopping his heart. Law enforcement are going up against armed, drugged out and dangerous people. They do generally try non-lethal approaches when they can. It never makes the news when they do.

I am all for removing/abolishing police departments from these areas since they hate the cops so much and blame all their problems on police brutality. As we are seeing in Minneapolis, we now have groups of armed citizens patrolling their neighborhoods with rifles and pistols. I wonder how any violent aggressor will do going up against an armed citizen than a police officer who has all types of responsibilities (and training) to not kill you. Since there are so few police now in Minneapolis and their transformative model of public safety seems more like a fairy tale as crime is surging, we are seeing exactly what the alternative to traditional policing will be. It is called vigilante justice. Just wait until somebody's daughter gets raped or killed and no cops are around to handle it. Those group of armed dudes are going to take care of business and the guy who gets shot won't be having a street named after him. I saw this in Africa, as well.. When the police, law and order no longer exist, the community takes matters into its own hands. It's how human nature work.

Say hello to Minneapolis's (and soon also Seattle, Portland, NYC, and every other anarchy run city) new form of law enforcement:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR