JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What can I actively do to make my .223 reloads better? I already am very careful to do all the right steps correctly and in order. From sizing to Lee FCD, I take real pride in good looking reloads and perfect functioning EVERY time. However lately I've had a few (3 or 4 out of five hundred rounds) do the hundredth of a second delay in ignition after pulling trigger. Drives me crazy! The only step I've been skipping is primer pocket uniforming/reaming. Could this really be causing this problem? I used to clean every single case with the RCBS pocket brush on an electric drill. But come on, after 10,000 cases don't I get to skip one step?

If anybody can shed light on this, please say so. I'd like to know how to get 100%, perfect ammo. I've been reloading for about 20 years or so, but learn new stuff all the time.

However lately I've had a few (3 or 4 out of five hundred rounds) do the hundredth of a second delay in ignition after pulling trigger.
Just a thought but are you sure its the ammo as opposed to a possible issue with the gun you are shooting the ammo in?

I have seen (in over 40 years of reloading) 'hang fires' that were firearm related and NOT ammo.

Good point. I've recently suspected my Stag AR 15 with it's 12 pound (seems like it) trigger pull my need some more work.

CCI# 400/450 primers. H335 or BLC 2 powder. both Mixed .223 cases and LC cases.

What does the punch mark on the primer look like on those hang fires? I'm no expert, but in loading and shooting several hundred, 500, 1000 ? I've never had a hang fire. Maybe something extra left in the, very few, cases from the processing? Tweaked firing pin?

To be honest, I'm not sure about the firing pin strike on the primer. Those cases land with the others. Firing pins all seem OK. It may (if this is the problem) simply be I need to do a better job with primer pocket cleaning. In my previous several thousand rounds, never an issue.

If the primers aren't seated fully, proper ignition is less likely as the energy of the firing pin is used to drive the primer forward instead of upsetting metal.

This link will help clarify primer issues in general. Definitely find your spent casings and give them a good once over. Of the last 1000 .223 rounds I've reloaded, none have mis-fired in any way. I have used WSR primers with H-335, all on used casings. I always clean pockets, inspect for offset primer holes, and check that all primers are below the surface. If the primer hole looks small or damaged, I size the hole with this:
Also, are the primers new or old? I've heard some people have had issues with old primers that were not kept in a dry atmosphere. Good luck finding your answer.

As mentioned, don't discount a firearm issue. I would pull the bolt out of the carrier and check for carbon build-up, especially at the tail and the FP channel. Thoroughly clean the bolt face, bolt lugs, barrel extension/lugs and chamber. Then inspect the firing pin and measure for proper pin protrusion. After that, I would look at the FCG, specifically the hammer spring.

As mentioned, don't discount a firearm issue. I would pull the bolt out of the carrier and check for carbon build-up, especially at the tail and the FP channel. Thoroughly clean the bolt face, bolt lugs, barrel extension/lugs and chamber. Then inspect the firing pin and measure for proper pin protrusion. After that, I would look at the FCG, specifically the hammer spring.
Good post I agree. Measure firing pin overall length. I have had to replace several firing pins on AR rifles shot
a lot.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the firing pin strike on the primer. Those cases land with the others. Firing pins all seem OK. It may (if this is the problem) simply be I need to do a better job with primer pocket cleaning. In my previous several thousand rounds, never an issue.
Prepping that many rounds does get monotonous at times, I do a minimum of 500 at a time. I generally make a conscious effort to look at every single primer pocket/flash hole. I have missed a few that I've caught before priming using that same conscious effort.
We are humans, not robots so just do the best you can to be a safe loader.;)

Along the lines of primers not seated all the way:

Been there, done that when I first started loading 9mm. Wife was constantly getting fail to fires, so I started becoming educated on possible striker issues with the Ruger SR9C. It was not until my brother-in-law had an actual "hang fire" with my reloads that I learned about improperly seated primers, i.e. not seated all the way in. I took a box of my reloads and found that I could in fact press the primer in a touch further. I have not had a single issue since I started making sure the primers get a good squeeze. Not in front of the TV anymore either. ;)

With the FCG springs in an AR being a whole lot stouter than a striker fire pistol this might not even be an issue, but just sayin'.

Last Edited:
I am curious what you use for lube and how you use it, OK keep your mind outta the gutter guys.
It can be possible to contaminate the primers with chemicals in the lube. If you handle the lubed case then pick up a primer, could it possibly be getting on the inside of the primer and causing a chemical reaction as it sits before shooting?

Not sure what your process is for sizing and priming or if the above could even happen in that process. Also not knowing what the primers life has been are they new or were they purchased second hand.

Good point. I've recently suspected my Stag AR 15 with it's 12 pound (seems like it) trigger pull my need some more work.

CCI# 400/450 primers. H335 or BLC 2 powder. both Mixed .223 cases and LC cases.
Absolute uniformity is the first step in reloading toward achieving predictability and reliability. I own exactly one AR15: my go-to gun for most predator calling trips. My handloads for it receive the same attention to detail as my fat-barreled bolt guns, including all matching components.

Media left in the primer channel?
Ever seen a primer burn? It would incinerate any media (corn cob, walnut) within the flash-hole.
Do you deburr the inside of the flash-hole? I have had burrs, partially cover the hole, to the point my inside reamer would not go in. Had to use a small drill bit first.
Do you uniform the flash-holes all the same size (diameter)?
Take the back-end of a drill bit, (or pin gauge) which fits tight in the flash-hole, then start checking case after case. See how many you come across, where the bit does not go in, or has to much play. I separate my cases by flash-hole size. I have never found
uniforming the primer pocket a necessity, as long as all the primers fit and seat to the proper depth.
When seeking
perfection, these are steps I do not pass on.

1. I suspect high primers. Much more likely to occur with "production" machines, as "primer feel" is eliminated. You do not want a "slam fire."
2. You are using ball powders. They are more difficult to ignite than flake or extruded. And they are coated! Imagine trying to light a round wood ball on fire, versus a fence board or a wooden dowel. Ball powder has no "edge" to catch the primer flash. Corners ignite faster and ball powder kernels have no corners. You might consider magnum small rifle primers (keep records of which powder/primer combo gives you trouble).
3. With today's crank 'em out by the trillions ammo market place, mistakes occur and there are pics of cases sold with no flash hole.
4. This round has been loaded and shot in the trillions. Thus two possibilities: a) firearm problem with hammer fall or b) the reloading process itself.
5. To narrow this down, try another gun with your loads and have a friend shoot your gun with his loads. If he has a problem it's likely the gun. If you have the problem, it is somewhere in the reloading process.

Thanks to all. I'm going out early Sunday morning out Gooseneck Rd. way and doing some more experimenting with both guns and different loads. Of the thousands of rounds I've loaded, this is my first "less than perfect" results. Could be I short cut my primer pocket prep by not cleaning out the pocket well enough. I'll be sure to take a couple of AR's (twist my arm) and compare. I'll probably fire 3 or 400 rounds and not have a problem. If I do however, I'll be on the lookout for the suggested culprits.

BTW, I'm going to take a couple of large trash bags to pick up trash. You guys know who you are so please pick up after yourselves. It's getting junky again.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads