Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Better .45 for SHTF

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Spray-n-pray, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

I posted this on another forum about a week ago, but I wanted to see what folks here would say...

So here's the game - in a SHTF situation, which one of these is a better choice?

First, would be the venerable 1911. Lots of reasons to love a good, solid chunk of American steel on your hip.

Second, a Glock 21. An easy, reliable pistol with good firepower.

Which one would you pick and why?

I am only putting two options on the poll, but if you feel that you have to plug the Sig P220, M&P, XD, Sig, FN, or even your Hi-point, knock yourself out.

Remember, the choice is for better option when society has gone all to hell, we are invaded by North Korea, or zombies are walking the land.

Game on! (or maybe flame on?)

2. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll start.

Laugh or not, I do like my RIA 1911 tactical. Feels good in my hand (better than most higher priced brands), mags are everywhere and relatively cheap, and probably never go out of fashion.

Not fond of Glocks. Just my :twocents:

3. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I like my Ruger P345. 8+1 stock and then two 10 round mags in my shoulder holster. It's relatively light, compact and accurate. It works for me.

Brutus Out

4. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

Okay, I'll play.... I have two 1911's - that being said, I'd take the Glock 21 for SHTF because of it's weight, increased firepower, reliability, ease of maintenance, and it fits my hand pretty good too. Of course, I wouldn't sneeze at a 1911, or two....... :D

MrCaprioni and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nwbobber

nwbobber Longview, Wa. Active Member

I'd take the 1911, there are repair parts everywhere, you can cast your own bullets for it, not that you can't for the glock, just more reliable. If you have to smack someone with it, it'll make a bigger dent. But really if the SHTF I will take the one I can get to first....

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have both.. carried a custom 1911 for 15 years. I would definitely choose the G21. It's more reliable and durable. The Glock can use lead bullets with a Lone Wolf Barrel

7. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I vote: Yes.

8. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Both? Or maybe an STI - get the SA trigger of a 1911 with the capacity and poly grip pack of the glock....

9. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I'll be watching you all mix it up down there thru the crisp optics of my scope. :)

10. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Glock 21.

IF SHTF, you can probably pickup mags off the LEO's who would have been on the front lines.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I went 1911 since own one. Also I am confirmed

nonglock

glockless

withoutglock

So you see my religon prevents any glockyness

12. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I picked a 1911 due to the fact I own two and I shoot them alot better then either of my glocks. to be honest though, if it were a SHTF situation, your .45 is only going to be coming out after your m4 has run out of ammo.

13. NavyBob

NavyBob michigan Active Member

My first choice would be Sig, but it's hard to argue with the 1911 if you have one that shoots and feeds straight.

14. Blitzkrieg

Well for that matter I'll certainly be using my FN SLP autoloader or a roller Lock HK battle rifle/M1A or AK 47/AR15 first in most instances. But there are a few things a handgun can do better. Ask any old Vietnam tunnel rat vet

The biggest advantages the G21 has over the 1911 is it can run dry and it can run with a lot of crud and grit

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Thumbs up!

The Glock 21 was my choice just because I can break it down without even looking. It never has jammed, ever. 1911s are great also, just personal preference.

The correct answer was HK USP Tactical w/ Surefire light/laser, suppressed.

16. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I'd rather use my Blackhawk with the 45acp cylinder...

17. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

I've got 17 1911' s (WTF was I thinking ? ), sold my G30, but I'm very partial to my M&P.....

18. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

I prefer the 1911, I shoot it better, faster and it feels better in my hands. But just for mag capacity I would have to go with the G21.

19. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

SHTF:

Concealed carry handguns are the most practical firearms in any short-term scenario. Between the two listed, I'd go with a G21. In the real world, I would go with my G19 or G23, which carry easier than either of the presented options.

Complete Societal Collapse/TEOTWAWKI:

Of the two options, a G21 backing up a carbine. Less weight, greater capacity.

20. Blitzkrieg

My gal shoots her AR15 and S & W .357 3 inch heavy barrel M65 very well but it was fun recently to see the horrified look in her eyes after I unleashed all 9 rds of high powered shot into a CQC target from that FN. It's a scary device, if you're a bad actor. Up close the shottie rules

As to the 1911, I definitely shoot it better but the better SHTF weapon is the G21. Worry more about location, water, food, cleanliness, field gear