JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Following a news story on an idiot taking out the trestle next to Helvatia bubblegum, I found this news story - agree / disagree?

Hungry? Portland has the best burger in America

If nothing else it has a good list of better than average burgers. The problem with articles like this is that they only visit large cities. Much of the best beef like Painted Hills is found in rural areas. You can buy it in Fossil near where it's grown or in a few specialty markets. Stanich is good, don't get me wrong, but the burger I had in tiny Mitchell was better than any I've had there or elsewhere in Portland.

"Best Burger"? There's hundreds of best burgers, if you like hamburgers. Always loved Stanich's, and I'm about twenty blocks from it. Problem was that after George Stanich died, from what i hear, there was a bunch of problem within the family. Last time I was there they told us it would be an hour wait, AFTER we ordered. We left and haven't been back. I drive by all the time and they're not open a bunch of the time, Mondays for sure. And between noon and 1:00 there's still parking available.

The Beaumont Neighborhood Association puts on "The Freemont Fest" every year on the first Saturday of August. Stanich's complained that having the street closed hurt their business, yet they could have participated in the fest and made out well. HUNDREDS of people flock to the fest every year and they could have done a ton of business. Old George would be disappointed I think.

My official "Worst Burger" (excluding fast food joints) was at Auto's Pub in Vancouver.
I'm thinkin' that it might have been horse burger....weird, chewy-like meat, unlike beef.
Any horse meat pros here ?

And the wait was incredibly long, as well.

The original "Hillsburger" at the east side Hillsboro Dairy Queen was a favorite of mine.
There was some secret sauce involved in that one.
No longer available.

If nothing else it has a good list of better than average burgers. The problem with articles like this is that they only visit large cities. Much of the best beef like Painted Hills is found in rural areas. You can buy it in Fossil near where it's grown or in a few specialty markets. Stanich is good, don't get me wrong, but the burger I had in tiny Mitchell was better than any I've had there or elsewhere in Portland.
I gather the little store at Fields Station is for sale. Best milkshakes in the world and worth the trip. Brings guns.. there's lotsa crap to shoot between here and there.

51-800.jpg

"Best Burger"? There's hundreds of best burgers, if you like hamburgers. Always loved Stanich's, and I'm about twenty blocks from it. Problem was that after George Stanich died, from what i hear, there was a bunch of problem within the family. Last time I was there they told us it would be an hour wait, AFTER we ordered. We left and haven't been back. I drive by all the time and they're not open a bunch of the time, Mondays for sure. And between noon and 1:00 there's still parking available.

The Beaumont Neighborhood Association puts on "The Freemont Fest" every year on the first Saturday of August. Stanich's complained that having the street closed hurt their business, yet they could have participated in the fest and made out well. HUNDREDS of people flock to the fest every year and they could have done a ton of business. Old George would be disappointed I think.
I too have been a Stanich's burger fan for years. My was the Milo burger. Cut the burger in half because if you put it down it'll fall apart in the basket! Pretty much a heart-stopper lunch but still draws me back. They were closed on Mondays and then Tuesdays also. But since they got named America's Best Burger last month I would guess their business has boomed.
Anytime a restaurant patriarch passes on the family has to shake things out. Its inevitable. Would hate to see them go away. (The street thing? I can see Steve being that way. Not a fan)

I gather the little store at Fields Station is for sale. Best milkshakes in the world and worth the trip. Brings guns.. there's lotsa crap to shoot between here and there.

View attachment 377393

One of my favorite places though I haven't been there in ten years. Great. Real fast, great burgers, and that epic milkshake. Last time I was there we and a large group of friends rented the old bordello for a couple of days to clean up after several days on the Alvord desert before heading south to Winemucca. Good times, good memories.

My favorite thing is Eddy Murphy and his Momma's burgers..

Oh, and this just in, speaking of apple pie and burgers and all.. the United States has some hope after all. lol

Didn't we have one of these threads a couple months ago? Oh yeah...
Best burger you have had

And.
Best Burger in town....

Any way, doesn't matter. If I don't get a burger and fries at least once a week I feel deprived! And the thread should really be titled "Burgers to Stay Away From". I thought everyone knew....Hamburgers are kinda like making love, even when it's not GREAT, it's still pretty darned good! Or in other words, even a substandard burger and fries is better than no burger and fries at all! And, "Give me burgers or give me death!" I'd REALLY prefer a hamburger though!

Man, after listening to that I'm glad Wifey and I are going out for a burger tonight! Katie O Brian's at NE 28th and Sandy has a burger I like. I like the atmosphere too, same decor as when in was Captain Coyote's.

Before that it was the Roadrunner. 35-40 years ago all the windows used to be boarded up.

In Hillsboro there is the:

Cruise In Country Diner at the intersection of Farmington and River Road.

All grass fed beef, homemade fries and shakes, and local natural ingredients. Can get pretty full on weekends, but worth the wait.

Cruise In Country Diner | Hillsboro restaurant | Classic Diner | Burgers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

In Hillsboro there is the:

Cruise In Country Diner at the intersection of Farmington and River Road.

All grass fed beef, homemade fries and shakes, and local natural ingredients. Can get pretty full on weekends, but worth the wait.

Cruise In Country Diner | Hillsboro restaurant | Classic Diner | Burgers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....
Looks nice !
It seems like there was an old t_avern on that corner ?

Looks nice !

It is the only building at that intersection. May well be the old t avern......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks nice !

I grew up about a mile and a half from there. It was a tavern for a looong time. T'was the Twin Oaks Tavern. Lots of fights there from what I was told (it closed as Twin Oaks Tavern before I was 21, IIRC) and it did not seem uncommon to drive by and see three or four WCSO cars in the parking lot.

The place changed hands, changed names, and put in more parking and a patio.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top