JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also GREAT painted hills burgers in Mitchell a ways past Prineville. I'm going to have to plan a trip though there and Prairie City to see which I like the best. Might take several tries to determine the winner...

The place in Prairie City is a bar on the north side of the street about mid town in the old section. They have a huge wooden bar that came around Cape Horn on a ship. Can't remember the name of the place, but I know I wrote a review on it on Trip Advisor in September of 2013.

The place in Prairie City is a bar on the north side of the street about mid town in the old section. They have a huge wooden bar that came around Cape Horn on a ship. Can't remember the name of the place, but I know I wrote a review on it on Trip Advisor in September of 2013.

You thinkin of the Oxbow?

You thinkin of the Oxbow?

upload_2017-2-15_22-33-51.png

I grew up in John Day and haven't been to Prairie City for a coons age! Maybe I should grab the wife, stop in JD to visit my friend the Sheriff and head over to the Oxbow for a burger? As good of a reason for a road trip as any!

Thanks to this thread I have a date with my smoking hot wife at Grilled Cheese Grill. And she has agreed to wheel me out if need be after I slam a Cheesus. :p:D

And that great burger at Mitchell was here: Mitchell Stage Stop - Mitchell, Oregon - Best Burgers and Pizza East of the Ochocos!

mitchell-stage-stop.jpg

Alas, they are closed for the winter so I will be drooling and dreaming for a few more months...

Across the street they used to have a bear that would take apple slices out of your mouth with his - my wife did it several years ago. Unfortunately too many people teased the bear and threw junk at it so his owner relocated. Too bad, he was just like "Gental Ben" from the old TV series.

Had lunch at The Meating Place today - gotta say the Elk Burger was quite a treat. Not as tasty as the elk burgers I used to get from my aunt & uncle up on the Washington coast - but still quite tasty. I was a bit surprised at how reasonably priced it was too.

I was enticed to try the Yukon Tavern on Milwaukie Ave in Moreland by their sign that says $5 lunch. Fish tacos aren't my thing (the Friday $5 special), so I had their Jalapeno burger. Dang thing was about 6" tall and I had to smash it just to be able to take a bite. Man, that was good!
It won't be the last time I go there!

edit
I can't believe Tavern is bubble gum. t a v e r n

Last Edited:
I've eaten there a few times.. it's OK, nothing memorable.
Farther south on Barbur there's George's Giant Burgers.. they're pretty tasty!
Wanker's Corner has some good burgers and I just like the layout of the place.. peanut shells on the floor too.
Anyone remember Fuddruckers? It used to be where Old Chicago Pizza is now. I remember the toppings bar.. you could go pretty nuts with all the stuff they had laid out.
George's is now gone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top