JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How could so many servers walk right by a table and not offer service? (very simple floor plan with one cirular path thru establishment) I felt like I had to trip a server on their way by to get any attention!

That seems pretty consistent with my experiences in any of their places. They hire a bunch of bearded dudes and Bohemina gals, that might last a month or two tops, then they quit. I have never had good service and seldom go to any of their places. Still baffles me though that their Grand Lodge location in Forest Grove will have a packed parking lot from about 11 am to 2 am every day.

I note the McMinamins franchise seems to remain missing.

Taking the leap, I have long appreciated their notion of 'preservation of historic structures'.
Some of the eateries are almost to my taste, although given the similarity in menu and those otherwise unexplainable nuances of chef/kitchen/service, it's hard to make any coherent posting.

I have long admired Edgefields and have stayed a number of times, in the monk's chambers/crazy guy lodging.

With a half-day rest built in my schedule, I took the 3-floor tour of the wall paintings, said to be direct clones of art work of the inhabitants of a hundred years ago. Mind boggling and well worth the time.
The food was good ++ as well as the 'Black Rabbit' was then on line.

A buddy with CDO snatched up an early 'Tour Member Booklet' and spent a solid year pursuing every effort to get his ticket stamped at all locations. His enthusiasm certainly exceeded mine, but I did over a year manage to see some otherwise I would have missed....and I still have more than half of them I'd consider going for a meal.

I last drank beer/threw peanut shells on the floor/and enjoyed 'Fly by Night Jass Band' from the 1974ish era.
White Eagle now includes them as a property, but I neverNEVER get to PDX for such these days.

I've had more-or-less burgers at a handful of the Bros McMinnamin; prefer the soup/chowder and the tots.

I frequented the White Eagle in the 70's. Peanut shells all over the floor. Nothing fancy, but good music and cheap booze especially the 25 cent Tequila nights. And the other taverns and bars that had Dimer's nights for beer. We had a schedule all worked out for the cheapest every day the week. You could get feeling real good on $2,00-$4.00 a night back in the early to mid 70's.

You remember I worked at the mill nearly 40 years, so I spent a goodly amount of time in The Wheel. Both sides of it.:rolleyes: And the 505. And Art's. And Howell's. And Barry's. Especially with the mill closing, that end of Main Street had mostly died. Now the bars and restaurants have become yuppified, and the complexion is completely changed. I've not been back to the 505 since they became the Somethin or other Duck, and I've not been in the coffee shop that occupies the Wheel property, especially since they erased the mural of the mill that was painted on the building during the Oregon Trail celebration.

The Oregon City I grew up in is gone and my memories almost feel like I imagined them. I just don't fit into the new gentrified scheme of things anymore. Just makes it easier to leave for drier pastures

Good gawd! Sounds like a bunch of old fogies! "Back in the day", "I remember when", "In those days" etc.

I resemble all that. :( I'm in good company here though. ;)

Forgot to mention that out of 6 boys I was the only one that didn't work at Crown Zellerbach/Simpson/West linn Paper across the river. Dad started in the 50's and retired in the 80's and one brother started in the 70's and worked there until it's final shutdown this year.

I did eventually work in a paper mill as a tech weenie contractor for a summer in Wisconsin.

I note the McMinamins franchise seems to remain missing.

I ate at one over the weekend - a Beaverton location. There is a new Beaverton, near the mall / Cedar Hills blvd @ Jenkins - not sure if it is open - if not soon. Took my brother.

My favorite is Rock Creek [T]avern. They did a nice job rebuilding after the fire.
(Find 185th, go north, Germantown to Old Corn-Pass, Go north. )

All have crappy fries. Get Tots instead.

Go when you have time. Every server takes a break between each table. I think, as it is so prevalent, that it is their "Flair" (Office Space reference)

New one in Beaverton
upload_2018-1-5_9-59-14.png

Next click on street view and proof that these things just pop up ...

upload_2018-1-5_9-59-58.png

Last Edited:
My favorite is Rock Creek bubblegum. They did a nice job rebuilding after the fire.

That was my single favorite beer joint long before 'the fire'. I moved out of the area and only visited once during the early rebuilding stage. No idea what it looks like now.

Used to get a decent burger at the ?'Helvicia'??? cafe out there somewhere, around 40 years ago.

I ate at one over the weekend - a Beaverton location. There is a new Beaverton, near the mall / Cedar Hills blvd @ Jenkins - not sure if it is open - if not soon. Took my brother.

Yes, the new Beaverton location is up and running now. Been operational for about a month. It's pretty nice in there.

" Used to get a decent burger at the ?'Helvicia'??? cafe out there somewhere, around 40 years ago. "

Helvetia [T]avern is still there, still cash. Still "not your way" I good basic burger.

Dean's Homestyle Cafe in Clackamas serves 1/2 pound, fresh not frozen, hand made burgers. My favorite is the "Finisher" topped with ham, bacon, eggs, swiss and cheddar cheeses. It's breakfast and lunch all in one.

71249DCO4426_03.jpg

Dean's Homestyle Cafe in Clackamas serves 1/2 pound, fresh not frozen, hand made burgers. My favorite is the "Finisher" topped with ham, bacon, eggs, swiss and cheddar cheeses. It's breakfast and lunch all in one.

View attachment 418569

I love eggs on burgers. Ham, swiss, bacon, that's a bonus too.

The oddest one I've had is the Bomber Burger at Lacey's Bomber Restaurant. It's a big burger, more than I can eat in one sitting. Not the best burger, just middle of the road, but does include ham and bacon and one odd ingredient - peanut butter. It's a unique addition, and not one I crave, but an interesting item to try.

I recently RE-discovered the simple pleasures of MY favorite basic burger (don't laugh) as for the components can't really make much of an argument other than the results:

The basic plain small burger WITH onions & French's yellow mustard;
one fills me up, tastes close enough to food-like edibles, and cost is reasonable; whatever they do to the bun makes it somewhat resemble the old Sliders of WH fame, yet is chewable and doesn't gag me.

And while I rarely eat at such spots, the quickie drive thru does have some merit at times.

Now someone can focus on ONION rings perhaps. Other than the place on Burnside/23rd area ?Ringside? I've had dang few that were decent....but came across some in Boise of all places, sliced nearly 2" thick & perfectly cooked with an actual very pleasing batter!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top