JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So aside from the gutbomb crap from big chain fast food places (McD's, BK, etc) - what are your picks for the best and worst burgers in the Portland area? I know people that gush over the Helvetia Tavern's burgers (I find them average, they're better than McD's et al, but they're not on par with Five Guys) and Scotty's here in Forest Grove - Scotty's again, is an average burger IMO but I'd take one over McD's. Maybe not over Carl's Jr.

For me - so far I'd say that the best burger for quality, flavor, etc is Five Guys, which I know is a growing chain - but they serve a great burger made from fresh ingredients, and it's a damn good burger.

Another burger that I just discovered is from a food cart on 10th, about 2 blocks or so north of the Max stop, IIRC called The Grilled Cheese. The burger in question is known as The Cheezus - I can only assume it's named thusly because it's heavenly - it's a typical frozen 1/4 patty, served up with decent pickles, fresh onion, tomato, and shredded lettuce, but sandwhiched between two full sized grilled cheese sandwiches - said sandwiches consisting of American and Cheddar cheeses. Only thing that could make that burger better, aside from using fresher beef - would be adding Bacon. And Then making it a double. I'd call it a Fat Cheezus, at that point :D

The worst I would award to Little Big Burger - not because the burger sucks, but because it's the size of a frickin White Castle slider, and costs $4.25. The name I didn't think was going to be literal. The beef was decent, and I got bacon on mine, but there was as much bacon as beef, and there wasn't much bacon!

As an aside though - I have to give Little Big Burger a shout out for their fries - hooooly crap batman, what they don't give you in burger, they make up for in fries. Lots of fries for $2.75 - and their fries are cut from golden taters, deep fried, then tossed in truffle oil and sprinkled with sea salt after cooking. Wowza they're good. They're even good the next day, if reheated properly. Possibly the best fries in Portland. Possibly the best fries I've ever had, anywhere.

I agree with you on Five Guy's, they're definitely on point. Thanks for the warning on little big burger. I'm a big guy so no matter how good it is, if I don't get enough of it I'm going to be hangry especially if it's expensive. One place I really like is Tilt. Huge burgers that a are unbelievable and I highly recommend everyone to try them at least once.

a8995f92725543c6263f2d7ed0542484.jpg

Yea, I used to go to that Helvetia joint.. kinda nice to get in out of the cold or whatever if you're out riding a bike.. muey pedestrian though.
I lived right by the Fulton Pub (McMenamins).. got tired of those years ago.
Whenever I wanna make my innie an outie, I'll go to Red Robin for the Hawaiian, endless fries and a huge salted caramel shake that comes in one of those old steel mixing jugs.
oh man

Killer Burger has some darn good burgers and a decent selection of microbrews to boot. Prices around $10-13. Not cheap, but very good and the fries are delicious.

The best deal is either Lucky Devil or Acropolis. $4 and $5 respectively for a very good "home made" burger is a better deal than anywhere. Of course they bring you in so you can help support all of the "single mothers" and tattoo freaks. :D

Has anyone tried Humdinger? I've driven past their places in Lake Oswego and on Barbour Blvd for years.
I've eaten there a few times.. it's OK, nothing memorable.
Farther south on Barbur there's George's Giant Burgers.. they're pretty tasty!
Wanker's Corner has some good burgers and I just like the layout of the place.. peanut shells on the floor too.
Anyone remember Fuddruckers? It used to be where Old Chicago Pizza is now. I remember the toppings bar.. you could go pretty nuts with all the stuff they had laid out.

George's Giants and Humdinger seemed rather ho-hum when I ate there.

It seems to me that it is difficult in a sense to make a burger that stands out - for me that means good quality beef seasoned properly, the use of real vegetables as toppings, and put it on a bun that has some flavor and isn't stale. Burgers made from fresh beef seem to hold up better than frozen ones. This must be a harder combo to make at burger joints than it is at home, though I'm not sure why, since they would have economy of scale as opposed to DIY homemade burgers.

Thankfully I don't live in the PDX area anymore, but the Bomber in Milwaukie was pretty good. The Bomber Burger was loaded with all kinds of stuff that made a nice combination of flavors.

Here in Bend it is hard to beat Pilot Butte Drive In, order any burger and some tots and a homemade milkshake/malt of your choosing. Better schedule time for a nap afterwards!

Didn't we have one of these threads a couple months ago? Oh yeah...
Best burger you have had

And.
Best Burger in town....

Any way, doesn't matter. If I don't get a burger and fries at least once a week I feel deprived! And the thread should really be titled "Burgers to Stay Away From". I thought everyone knew....Hamburgers are kinda like making love, even when it's not GREAT, it's still pretty darned good! Or in other words, even a substandard burger and fries is better than no burger and fries at all! And, "Give me burgers or give me death!" I'd REALLY prefer a hamburger though!

Man, after listening to that I'm glad Wifey and I are going out for a burger tonight! Katie O Brian's at NE 28th and Sandy has a burger I like. I like the atmosphere too, same decor as when in was Captain Coyote's.

Last Edited:
It sounds to me like there is a lot of room for a really good burger place. I've tried most of those and they are pretty good but I just seems like the bar's kinda low… there should be a real destination spot that has that 5 star burger.

It has been a while since I've been in the Portlandia area, but McMenamins is pretty good for a burger and beer. A couple of my brothers that live up yonder go there pretty regularly and I've gone with a few times.

My better half loves Burgerville's offerings, and though I am not a fan of fast food, it isn't bad for what it is. I remember returning home via PDX from a business trip at some unholy hour and one of those burgers did hit the spot.

I'm sure there are others, but I don't spend all that much time up north anymore.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top