JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have my Mosin and liked the cheap part about the corrosive ammo but not the cleaning part.I forgot to use soapy water the first time,but using water to clean a gun just seems foreign to me.
What is the best way you have found to clean these?
Is it worth the extra to just buy the non corrosive since I won't be shooting this weekly anyway?
I mean a 440 spam can would last me a life time.

Thanks
Mike

The 'corrosive' element of 'corrosive' ammunition is actually the primer's residue, potassium chloride, a salt. Water puts the salt into solution so it can be washed away. Ammonia (like in Windex) does nothing to 'neutralize' salt. What it will do is a.) dissolve copper layers where additional salt deposits may lie underneath, and b.) act as a better wetting agent to allow the water to get deeper into pores for better cleaning action. After cleaning with Windex, soapy water, etc, clean and oil as normal.

BTW, the above link is in error regarding the timeline of mercuric primers, which were largely abandoned before 1900.

Keith

I use HOT water and hand dish detergent, brushes and since the heat dries the steel fast, immediately hose the chamber/bore/action down with Kroil, followed by full cleaning for days afterwards. Also use copper solvent. Worked for me for 25 years now

I was thinking on some non corrosive,but like my friend said,it is only a $100 gun. Not like it's my Browning or such.

Thanks for the responses.
Mike

A Mosin is super easy to clean; in general the extra cost of commercial ammo is not worth the expense. Clean the bore, chamber and bolt face at a minimum, and for best measure disassemble the bolt as well. Its not a bad idea to wipe down the inside of the magazine either. Also, if you shoot with a bayonet attached (the Mosin sights are designed exactly for that), don't forget to wipe it down too or it'll get green quick...don't ask me how I know this :) .

Keith

I use corrosive in my PTRs because I have a stockpile of it.. just clean them religiously and repeatedly. A bolt gun is a cinch, just be sure to scrub the chamber and the magazine out, too. Harbor Freight has a 10 pack of various brushes, cheap

I shoot corrosive 5.45x39 in an AR platform. I rinse the entire rifle with boiling water, then blow dry with the air compressor and clean/oil as usual. I have shot just shy of 5k and have never had a hint of rust or corrosion.

I have my Mosin and liked the cheap part about the corrosive ammo but not the cleaning part.I forgot to use soapy water the first time,but using water to clean a gun just seems foreign to me.
What is the best way you have found to clean these?
Is it worth the extra to just buy the non corrosive since I won't be shooting this weekly anyway?
I mean a 440 spam can would last me a life time.

Thanks
Mike

I am supposed to clean my gun???!!!!.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top