Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best ways to clean after corrosive ammo

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mjbskwim, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have my Mosin and liked the cheap part about the corrosive ammo but not the cleaning part.I forgot to use soapy water the first time,but using water to clean a gun just seems foreign to me.
    What is the best way you have found to clean these?
    Is it worth the extra to just buy the non corrosive since I won't be shooting this weekly anyway?
    I mean a 440 spam can would last me a life time.

Thanks
    Mike

2. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

I use one of those foaming bore cleaners

3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Someone told me a few sprays of windex (ammonia) down the barrel & on the action would neutralize the corrosive action in that old powder

4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Water....hot water and clean as normal.

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

6. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Take a shower with it.

7. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

been using hops#9 to clean after corrosive ammo for 30+ years never had issues

8. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

The 'corrosive' element of 'corrosive' ammunition is actually the primer's residue, potassium chloride, a salt. Water puts the salt into solution so it can be washed away. Ammonia (like in Windex) does nothing to 'neutralize' salt. What it will do is a.) dissolve copper layers where additional salt deposits may lie underneath, and b.) act as a better wetting agent to allow the water to get deeper into pores for better cleaning action. After cleaning with Windex, soapy water, etc, clean and oil as normal.

BTW, the above link is in error regarding the timeline of mercuric primers, which were largely abandoned before 1900.

Keith

BlackSheepJ and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Ownerus

Ownerus South Clackamas Co. Active Member

What Keith said. Water water water. That's what dissolves the salt residue. Ammonia or soap act as a wetting agent but the water cleans out the salts.

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I use HOT water and hand dish detergent, brushes and since the heat dries the steel fast, immediately hose the chamber/bore/action down with Kroil, followed by full cleaning for days afterwards. Also use copper solvent. Worked for me for 25 years now

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I was thinking on some non corrosive,but like my friend said,it is only a $100 gun. Not like it's my Browning or such.

Thanks for the responses.
    Mike

12. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

A Mosin is super easy to clean; in general the extra cost of commercial ammo is not worth the expense. Clean the bore, chamber and bolt face at a minimum, and for best measure disassemble the bolt as well. Its not a bad idea to wipe down the inside of the magazine either. Also, if you shoot with a bayonet attached (the Mosin sights are designed exactly for that), don't forget to wipe it down too or it'll get green quick...don't ask me how I know this :) .

Keith

13. Blitzkrieg

I use corrosive in my PTRs because I have a stockpile of it.. just clean them religiously and repeatedly. A bolt gun is a cinch, just be sure to scrub the chamber and the magazine out, too. Harbor Freight has a 10 pack of various brushes, cheap

14. krivey

krivey mcminnville oregon Active Member

I shoot corrosive 5.45x39 in an AR platform. I rinse the entire rifle with boiling water, then blow dry with the air compressor and clean/oil as usual. I have shot just shy of 5k and have never had a hint of rust or corrosion.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Blitzkrieg

I prefer that I use improvised common ingredients such as synthetic motor oil, but then I'm a prepper

16. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I am supposed to clean my gun???!!!!…..

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.