JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the best way to ship a rifle from Oregon to Idaho. I'd need to buy a box, ship and insure. It looks like FedEx will accept a rifle at one of their shipping centers and UPS wants it dropped off at a hub. Money Market Pawn wants an extra $30 on top of shipping costs. Do FFLs get a discount usually on costs?

Do you have the original box? I've put those in a bigger box with bubble wrap. I've also used cheap hard cases that I zip-tied close. If you need boxes, I'll be in PDX Wednesday and can bring you one. I've made a couple purchases and still have the boxes.
Thank you. I might take you up on your offer. I think the buyer was hoping for under $45 for a 10lb rifle insured for $1300. I'm thinking that might be hard to get done.

I only use UPS and take it only to one of their "customer service centers" one on Swan Island ... another in Tualatin. They know what they are doing. It must be shipped to a FFL dealer. They will ask if you have ammo in the box. I ship them all double cardboard boxed. Have shipped 10 long guns in the last 6 months. Probably only cost $25 to Idaho ... no hurry ground shipping.
Good luck.

Looks like FedEx will be my best bet. UPS is cheaper but with my schedule there is no way to make it happen. Does FedEx sell firearm boxes?

If you pay more than $30 your paying too much...I have a box you can have.
I just put the weight and rough dimensions in the calculator. The cost included insurance. If you have a box I'd love to get one from you. You need anything for it? I work in Hillsboro and live in Happy Valley.

I make my own boxes. The biggest expense is the packing tape.
I go to big retail appliance outlets and grab some large pieces of cardboard from behind the store.
I double layer them into a triangle shape and that's by far the strongest box configuration.
Lots of bubble wrap around the firearm and pack it tight.
You will also need to send along a color copy of your drivers license (front & back).

I make my own boxes. The biggest expense is the packing tape.
I go to big retail appliance outlets and grab some large pieces of cardboard from behind the store.
I double layer them into a triangle shape and that's by far the strongest box configuration.
Lots of bubble wrap around the firearm and pack it tight.
You will also need to send along a color copy of your drivers license (front & back).
I like the triangle idea. I think I can dig up some cardboard from work.

It's real easy to fold cardboard lengthwise. The hardest part is the cutting and tucking in the triangle shaped ends.
I make a round cardboard cap for the barrel before I wrap the rifle in small cell bubble wrap, that way it won't poke through the bubble wrap.
The odd shape also keeps shippers from stacking heavy containers on top of it.
Make sure the receiving FFL will accept a firearm shipment from an private individual, some won't.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top