JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting Sticks

31EAnfHov3L._AC_.jpg

Only hunting I ever did was with a 14" Contender in various calibers.
In my expierence the "Best" rest was usually the most expedient rest possible at the moment....which also meant the least movement getting there. More often than not my rest was some kind of dead fall log, or live tree. I've never been someone to sit on a stand, no patience for that. I preferred moving. That meant often times having to make off hand shots when I was close enough. It was a rewarding sport.

With scoped handguns I have used hunting (Trooper MKII .357 8 3/8".... Dan Wesson .44 10"... Contender .25 Bullberry 15", 221 Fireball and .256 Win. 10.5"):

The most practical and accurate stance I have found is sitting with knees raised and elbows (or forearms) resting on the knees.
This position should be attainable and an accurate shot (100 yards or less) delivered inside of 20 seconds from standing/walking.

Certainly if more time is available, I'd prone out and use the fanny pack. Certainly if a natural/existing solid rest (tree,rock,fencepost,etc.) is immediately available I would "avail" myself of it.

NEVER hunt with a long-range pistol that has not been extensively shot from field position (and sighted for the field position). Handguns are really weird as to their variability according to rest/handhold, etc. A benched gun may print nowhere near where it prints from a field position. In all cases, the gun should be insulated/padded (with the hand or such) from contact with any hard external surface.

The sitting position, resting arms on knees can work at longer ranges too.

Scan_20200511 (2).png

Custom Contender, .25 Bullberry. 15" barrel. 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 2700fps. 175yards.

Scan_20200511.png

Last Edited:
For your Encore, you might try one of the Sig braces which are all the rage with the AR pistol crowd. I would get one of the ones you can twist and move to fit your arm. I have one on my Contender and really like it. Shouldering it does not fit right, but clamping it to my arm and using it as a brace works very well. Combine that with shooting sticks, and you might almost be steadier than a rifle.

For your Encore, you might try one of the Sig braces which are all the rage with the AR pistol crowd. I would get one of the ones you can twist and move to fit your arm. I have one on my Contender and really like it. Shouldering it does not fit right, but clamping it to my arm and using it as a brace works very well. Combine that with shooting sticks, and you might almost be steadier than a rifle.

whom did you purchase it from? Did you replace the forearm of the Contender?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top