JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm going to soon be in the possession of this Colt Cobra .38. It's alloy-framed and definitely has a lot of finish wear, but it's functionally sound. I was thinking if I should just leave it as is, or if I want to go about trying to pretty it up somehow. Also, I want to do it relatively inexpensively, so that means no sending it off and paying $200 to get it done. Anyone have any ideas on what's best to do? Leave it as is? Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black? Dura/Cera/Gun coating it semigloss black? I don't intend for this gun to be a safe queen or anything, but I would like it to at least look decent.

IMG_2150_zpsf025e365.jpg
IMG_9196_zpsb720d280.jpg

I suggest you save your money and have it done right. Cerakote. Match the original color as well as possible. The old horse deserves the respect of a nice finish, not something from a rattle-can. I know you said you don't want to pay $200, but NWGunRefinishing lists the price at only $185.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I've seen enough customers unhappy with half-assed jobs. They end up paying more to have it removed and redone correctly...

I suggest you save your money and have it done right. Cerakote. Match the original color as well as possible. The old horse deserves the respect of a nice finish, not something from a rattle-can. I know you said you don't want to pay $200, but NWGunRefinishing lists the price at only $185.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I've seen enough customers unhappy with half-assed jobs. They end up paying more to have it removed and redone correctly...
That!

I agree.!!

Refinishing is tricky. I bought the best stuff and it still proved to be inadequate. (Re-bluing)

If you just cant come to take it to NWGunRefinishing ... your really left with the rattle can or naked.

If your good with a can I'd go with the oven cure stuff, de-burr with 400 and polish for an hour with 800 wash with plain dish soap or the green degreaser thoroughly.

Keep any and all stainless steel from it as stainless brushes or brillo leaves a stainless residue.

Personally it is kinda kewl as it is.

I like it as is as well..........interesting how even the checkering is worn almost to smooth. Someone really handled this puppy a lot!

Yup!!

I had my Python refinished by Colt! It came out better than new and was not expensive. It was a 4" and cost right around 300 dollars. Call them and they will tell you what it will cost, it would be worth your time and expense. That is a cool gun!

Unfortunately Colt doesn't re-finish their alloy-framed revolvers anymore. Removing the barrel and and re-attaching it puts too much stress on the frame :/
I've decided that I'm just going to oil it up nice and keep it as is, and then maybe get it cerakoted later on down the road to try and match the original finish.

Leave it as is. I would soak the surfaces with CLP, wipe the excess after an hour and repeat 2 or 3 times.the finish will stay like it is and your metal protected.
It also makes it easier to clean after shooting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top