Best way to refinish this Colt Cobra?

Reactions
So I'm going to soon be in the possession of this Colt Cobra .38. It's alloy-framed and definitely has a lot of finish wear, but it's functionally sound. I was thinking if I should just leave it as is, or if I want to go about trying to pretty it up somehow. Also, I want to do it relatively inexpensively, so that means no sending it off and paying $200 to get it done. Anyone have any ideas on what's best to do? Leave it as is? Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black? Dura/Cera/Gun coating it semigloss black? I don't intend for this gun to be a safe queen or anything, but I would like it to at least look decent.

IMG_2150_zpsf025e365.jpg
IMG_9196_zpsb720d280.jpg

Reactions
I suggest you save your money and have it done right. Cerakote. Match the original color as well as possible. The old horse deserves the respect of a nice finish, not something from a rattle-can. I know you said you don't want to pay $200, but NWGunRefinishing lists the price at only $185.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I've seen enough customers unhappy with half-assed jobs. They end up paying more to have it removed and redone correctly...

Reactions
I suggest you save your money and have it done right. Cerakote. Match the original color as well as possible. The old horse deserves the respect of a nice finish, not something from a rattle-can. I know you said you don't want to pay $200, but NWGunRefinishing lists the price at only $185.

Sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I've seen enough customers unhappy with half-assed jobs. They end up paying more to have it removed and redone correctly...
That!

I agree.!!

Reactions
Refinishing is tricky. I bought the best stuff and it still proved to be inadequate. (Re-bluing)

If you just cant come to take it to NWGunRefinishing ... your really left with the rattle can or naked.

If your good with a can I'd go with the oven cure stuff, de-burr with 400 and polish for an hour with 800 wash with plain dish soap or the green degreaser thoroughly.

Keep any and all stainless steel from it as stainless brushes or brillo leaves a stainless residue.

Personally it is kinda kewl as it is.

Reactions

Yup!!

OP
P
Reactions
Unfortunately Colt doesn't re-finish their alloy-framed revolvers anymore. Removing the barrel and and re-attaching it puts too much stress on the frame :/
I've decided that I'm just going to oil it up nice and keep it as is, and then maybe get it cerakoted later on down the road to try and match the original finish.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom